1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rusty Gerber knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Polynikes07, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Polynikes07

Polynikes07 Empty Pockets

So I had a friend give me an old Gerber AR 3.00 that is freckled with rust on both sides of the blade as well as the pocket clip. I put some 3 in 1 oil on it, let it sit, and then took a scotchbrite sponge to it for a solid half hour with no noticeable results besides rather severely cutting my thumb. :stretcher:

I was able to resharpen it and remove the rust along the edge to get it rather sharp, resulting in said thumb cut, so the knife is usable. But I have a couple of questions regarding the remaining rust.

1. I tried using something more coarse, namely the extra fine hone from my lansky kit, and just ended up scratching the crap out of the knife. :thumbsdown: Would steel wool do the same?

2. Since this is just going to be a cheapy knife used for dirty tasks I don't want to use my nicer ones on, is there any reason other than aesthetics to remove the rust so long as I keep it well lubed?

3. I also have a hand me down gerber multitool which works great and was well cared for, but the bit set for it was not and that is rusty as heck. Any Suggestions? :help:

2. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

The only thing I have found that takes off rust is Naval Jelly.

It should do the trick - just follow the directions and oil the knife afterwards with a light oil to prevent reappearance.

3. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

I've heard of navel lint but never naval Jelly. What is it and where can it be found? And please tell me you don't apply it with naval lint!

I have a gerber gator with the same type of issue. Keep it in my daughters trunk kit and the tempature changes has caused some speckling on the blade.

4. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

Try 400 or 600 grit 3M Imperial wet or dry. Clamp the blade down on a workbench and only go in one direction. Use a block (not your hand) for the paper.

5. oldblazer

oldblazer Loaded Pockets

You should be able find Naval Jelly in most any auto parts store or hardware store. Usually it's a pink goo that you apply with a cloth or brush. Follow the directions and it usually works pretty good unless the pitting is really deep (like on an old-school chrome car bumper in which case you will need a lot of elbow grease and steel wool). You must remember to keep the cleaned surfaces oiled or they will rust again.

6. tsacain

tsacain Loaded Pockets

x2 on naval jelly.

7. spoonrobot

spoonrobot Loaded Pockets

You don't need Naval Jelly.

Just go to Wal-Mart and buy some 0000 Steel Wool. It will remove the rust without affecting the finish on the blade.

8. spyderHS08

spyderHS08 Loaded Pockets

+1 on that

9. Hectorx

Hectorx Loaded Pockets

Or go pick up some Nevrdull from a local hardware store. Its a polish but will remove rust from mate finishes too.