1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rush Delivery Messenger Frustration

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by turnsouth, Oct 28, 2013.

1. turnsouth

turnsouth Loaded Pockets

I really like my 5.11 Rush Delivery Messenger, except for one thing, the laptop pocket. I don't carry a laptop when I need a larger messenger, I usually have a tablet and an iPod, and the problem is that the divider in the main compartment is so thick with padding, and sewn in such a way that it takes up a large portion of the main compartment, just wasted space.

When there is nothing in the pocket, the divider pushes out of the way and isn't that much of an issue, but If I drop a folder of some papers in there it becomes cumbersome and makes it a hassle to get to the rest of the main compartment, and the pockets in there.

So I've been thinking about the possibility of removing the padding from the divider, or maybe modifying it in some way so that it's less obtrusive. Anyone ever done something like this?

2. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Personally Im happy with that laptop divider, it serves as my pocket for my packable backpack and my Maxped FR-1 pouch; I put my papers in a plastic folder on the back pocket so it will slide in against the velcro loop. Its a bit snug but works fine with me. Don't carry a laptop or a tablet but I can find room for that just in case.

3. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Didnt mean to cause another "rush fever" here but here's my load out, the blue plastic contains my papers but I inserted a half 1/2"x11" book in lieu of a tablet.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. turnsouth

turnsouth Loaded Pockets

If you ask me, there can never be too much RDMB, or too many photos of them :)

5. RobF

RobF Loaded Pockets

Personally, I like built in padded laptop sleeves, but can see how they add bulk in a non-laptop bag. Have you checked if it's possible to gut the sleeve? Maybe keep the sleeve but remove the padding, so you have a divider that takes no space.

6. turnsouth

turnsouth Loaded Pockets

I could see where if you were pulling a laptop in and out often, that the built in sleeve would be quite useful.

Yeah, I'm going to take a close look at it tonight and see if I could do some surgery on it...

7. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

I think you can remove the hemming at the top by cutting the thread, just assuming though that the padding is loose material and not adhered to the nylon.

8. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Most likely the padding is laminated to the nylon and sewn around the edges with it. I would bet any attempt at removing it may produce less than desirable results.

I am shocked with RD how quickly it can become utterly cumbersome, despite that it is my favorite bag in a long time.

9. turnsouth

turnsouth Loaded Pockets

From what I can tell by feeling through the nylon, the inner foam is not attached to the panel with any type of bonding agent. Neither is the Velcro on the outside front of the laptop compartment sewn through the foam. That's the good news, the bad news is that the foam panel seems to have been manufactured to specifications in two varying thicknesses, with the panel and side areas being thicker, and the folds and edges being thinner. With this configuration it allows the thin edges of the foam to be sewn in at every seam, excellent for placement retention (even with drastic temperature changes of the dissimilar materials), but making removal a complicated operation (at least if I want it to stay good looking and professional in appearance).

So, without the aid of a skilled seamster or seamstress, removal isn't a viable option.

10. turnsouth

turnsouth Loaded Pockets

Thinking that it would have been nice if they offered an "empty bucket" version similar to the Spec Ops.

Perhaps with the new replacement models they may in the future...

Speaking of which, wouldn't mind getting hold of a "Mike" for those times when I want something a little smaller (fitting under the seat of an airplane comes to mind).

11. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Given you are desperate having it removed, why not bring it to your local malls bag and shoe repair shop to have it tailored for you, there's a price to pay but I'm sure it can be done.

12. turnsouth

turnsouth Loaded Pockets

I've thought about it. If I do go that route I'll likely have it removed all together. Since it's more of a laptop "cradle" than a divider (it's only attached to the rear of the bag and not the bottom) I think that I'd be better served by having the compartment empty, and using a removable file pocket as necessary.

13. Jackr

Jackr Loaded Pockets

I personally do not like the sleeves that take up so much space. I much prefer the empty space and use a dedicated sleeve for the laptop when carrying one.

I have removed the sleeve on my rush messenger, but I was hesitant because I like the velcro. So what I did was remove the velcro from the sleeve after cutting it out from the main compartment. I think I will try using some gorilla glue to put it on the back wall of the bag now.

If I get around to doing this over the weekend, I will take pictures.

Actually taking out the sleeve was a bit of a pain though, proceed with caution, you don't want to cut the actual bag.

14. turnsouth

turnsouth Loaded Pockets

I'd be happy to see photos of how it looks with the sleeve removed, even if you don't have the Velcro in yet.

15. jeffmcc

jeffmcc Loaded Pockets

I really don't know what your talking about. Mine is not super padded. It works great for my Samsung Series 7 laptop(Macbook pro copy).

16. TheBoyScout22
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheBoyScout22 Loaded Pockets

What packable backpack do you carry?

17. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Eagle Creek, its indispensible, very light, compact and tough. It goes with my bag everywhere to take on groceries and stuff I buy that won't fit into my rush messenger, though I tend to max it out first before I go for my pack. The padded sleeves are really useful as they separate my two lunch packs from my FR-1 and the Eagle Creek.

18. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I would rather look for another messenger that suits my needs than perform alterations that would depreciate it.

19. turnsouth

turnsouth Loaded Pockets

I've considered that, and have felt that way in the past, but I've come to look at my bags more like tools to be used rather than something to be protected. So in this case, I like the bag, and I want to make it as useful as possible, thus I'm willing to perform alterations that do not impede the base functionality of the unit.

Now don't get me wrong, if this were a $500.00 Saddleback I would cringe at the thought of altering it from it's original form, but for an $80.00 workhorse that's been discontinued, I'm ready to do what it takes to make it "mine".

20. turnsouth

turnsouth Loaded Pockets

Well I decided to take a good look so I turned the bag inside out. I found that the laptop pouch is indeed attached only to the back panel at the seems, as well the nylon edge inside the pouch does not have any binding on it, just the plain edge of the fabric protruding about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. So I thought that cutting the laptop pouch off, and carefully leaving only about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of fabric, it would make the appearance seem original.

Then with nothing to loose but my beloved bag, I took a leap, got the scissors, and did it. I must say, it doesn't look bad at all:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut very carefully, left a good margin of fabric on the first cut, and then went back over for a final trim. Turns out that the inner foam is not sewn into the seam except at the corners, but it was easily pulled free. Other than that the removal was uneventful. I left the Velcro closure tab on for now, thinking about sewing a key hook on it (a needed feature missing from the original design)

As far as liking the results, I love it. It's now the messenger bag that it was meant to be. (for me anyway)

odg and Monty like this.