1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rush Delivery Messenger Bag - Dimensions/weight?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Jute, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Jute

Jute Loaded Pockets

Looking for a little info from anyone who has this bag.

Been searching for a bag for my EDC and have progressed from one kind to another trying to find out what suits me best. Had a Jansport backpack from the beginning and have since tried a 5.11 Rush 12, Timbuk2 Classic Messenger. So now I would like to combine the messenger type bag with the tactical styling of the Rush, which brings me to the Delivery Messenger Bag.

For those who have the bag, could you provide the outer dimensions of the bag itself. 5.11's website only gives the dimensions of the main compartment of 11"H x 17"L x 5"D, and there is no mention of the bags weight. I'm guessing about 2.5 pounds.

Checked out a few threads here as well as Chopper's YouTube video review on the bag and I am definitely leaning towards it.

Thanks for the help.

2. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

You're in luck. A friend of mine recently got this bag. I felt a little bad, because he got it on my recommendation, but I really don't like it. Of course, he seems okay with it, so I guess it's fine. I called him and got him to weigh and measure it empty.

He says it's actually closer to 3 pounds. As for dimensions, he measured it seam to seam, not including the water bottle holders, and it's right around those dimensions. In fact, they might be a little generous. The water bottle pockets add less than an inch to each side when they're cinched tight, and obviously grow by a water bottle's width when one is tucked in.

I want to let you know my two major complaints with the bag.

The first is that it's just too small. Maybe that's good if you like traveling lighter, but I like being able to use my bag as a market bag, and it's tough to put much in there. Especially because a lot of the internal volume is taken up by the laptop area's padding.

The 2nd is that I really don't like the pocket organization. There are quite a lot of them, but they're all basically flat! I don't like it when putting stuff in one pocket makes another unusable because the first bulges into the other's space.

3. karafire2003

karafire2003 Loaded Pockets

I was excited about the 5.11 Messenger Bag too, then I went to a store where they had it and my excitement died quite a bit. The bag looks BIG in pictures and from the outside it looks awesome. It feels solid, but when I opened it up, I was disappointed with the space inside. I'm echoing what Jack Wood is saying. The pen holders are a little too short.

The bag that I am looking at is the ITS Discreet, but they will not have any available till 2012 and they are PRICEY!!!! I just purchased a ZULU Emissary from another member, I have high hopes for the bag!!!

I think for the price...5.11 is the way to go. It's casual enough to be not obvious, but it still means business.

4. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

Ah-hah! You're the one that bought that out from under me!

@Jute
    I did want to say that the 5.11 RUSH Delivery does have some positives. The water bottle pouches are clever, even if they involve mesh, which I hate. And the narrow depth should actually discourage over-loading it. If you know you aren't going to be carrying six packs of beer, or a whole lot of textbooks and papers, I'm sure it'll work fine. And it's very comfortable to wear.
    If you want a specifically tactical styled messenger bag, there are a few decent options, though all of the ones I can think of are more expensive than the RUSH Delivery.

Maxpedition has a couple of messenger bags in different sizes that are reasonably priced, if you can do without water bottle holders (a required feature for me) (small link)(large link).

If you want something on the opposite end, size wise, there's the Hazard4 Defense Courier (link) and MOD (link).

I've heard a lot of good things about Mountain Ridge Gear's Tactical Messenger Bag (link) and HSGI's Armordillas: The V1, with 3-way CCW pocket and several pouches sewn in (link), and the V2, with molle on four sides (link).

And of course the Zulu Emissary and the ITS Discreet (made by Zulu Nylon). Though as you may be able to tell from the name, the Discreet is supposed to not look very tactical.

I'm afraid I can't specifically recommend any of these since I haven't laid hand or eye on any.

And of course there are a lot of non-messenger shoulder bags and non-tactical messenger bags out there.
    Specifically, if you're looking for lower prices, County Comm has a tactical shoulder bag: the Bail Out Bag, and there's a knockoff available from LAPG.

Good luck finding something that suits you.

zenpunk likes this.
  5. Jute

Jute Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Sent an email to 5.11 inquiring about this and heard back today. They stated that the bag is roughly the size listed of the main compartment, 11"H x 17"L x 5"D, but that the bag weighs 3.3 pounds. Seems the size/weight proportion isn't quite right for me, a little too heavy for what I'm looking for.

@Jack_Wood: thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. After checking the 5.11 more closely it seems it is possible to have too many pockets. Although I like organization I don't want a map to help me remember where I placed things. :laugh: So I'll continue the hunt to find the bag that works for me.

6. karafire2003

Semi-odd joke. I think I pm'd and posted before you, so I don't think there was any underhandedness. It's kind of hard to see sarcasm and jokes on a post (I hope it was a joke :p) without the tonal inflections and facial expressions.

7. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

It was a joke, sorry I forgot to include a smilie :laugh:. I honestly just found it an amusing coincidence :shrug:

I do apologize though, I really didn't mean to imply any underhandedness on your part.

Edit: I meant to add, after my original "joke": I hope you'll review of the Emissary (especially with a lot of pictures). It's hard to find much information about it.

8. karafire2003

Agreed. Trying to get information and pics that are NOT from the original site are hard!! I'm a student, so you'll see it mostly filled with school gear and the such. I'm semi on a budget, so hopefully I'll be able to show my growth with the bag, pouches, and use.

9. monkeyluis

monkeyluis Loaded Pockets

Milpic on YouTube has some good reviews of this.

zenpunk likes this.
  10. McNabUx

McNabUx Loaded Pockets

I have it, and uses it as a laptop bag, and thinks it is a great bag, for that use.

I am not sure if it is a good school bag, I would think you want a larger bag, you will not get to many books into it.

11. monkeyluis

monkeyluis Loaded Pockets