1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rush 12 vs. Plan B

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by rule9, Sep 9, 2018.

1. rule9

rule9 Loaded Pockets

Afternoon all, im looking at upgrading my day hike bag for something new. Ive narrowed it down to the 5.11 tactical rush 12 and the hazard 4 plan b. Im just looking for peoples thoughts on both these bags?

The bag will only be used for day hikes and carry usual hiking equipment (fak, water bottle, possibles pouch, snack bag etc).

Unfortunately im unable to locate these bags near me so i cant check them out for myself.

Thanks to all in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Chips177

Chips177 Loaded Pockets

If it's only going to be used for hiking, why not a pack that's more oriented to the specific task?

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  3. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

Agreed. I have the rush 12, and it's a great pack but doesn't have the all day comfort of a genuine hiking pack. You end up with a gross, sweaty back after a short period and the load is not distributed that well on your shoulders.
    If it's admin space you need, then get an organiser pouch and a real hiking pack. Just my opinion.

4. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I have both these and hey are completely different propositions. The R12 is an excellent day pack: comfortable to wear with plenty of organisation, it's roomy for its profile with an excellent yoke. It fits my 15" laptop at a squeeze together with an ipad, with a maxped min organiser in the front pockets and phone and glassed in padded top pocket. The Plan B on the other hand is style over substance in my view. It looks tacticool, but in practical terms it is oddly shaped, the zippers are small but the strap is oversize. It is designed to slide around the body for side access, but you need to unlock compression straps to access. The shape makes carryinh ipads etc difficult though it is well suited to carry camera equipment. I find it uncomfortable for hiking relative to the R12.

Note neither have external water bottle facility. I have used my R12 for hiking and cycling and prefer it to the Hazard4 product for both applications.

tbzbbt

5. rule9

rule9 Loaded Pockets

Thank you all for your thoughts. Maybe more research needs to be done

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

6. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I'm in agreement with the above posts. I just wanted to add that there are some hiking-oriented bags that have decent organization. My Osprey Escapist 25 is comfortable and lightweight but has enough organization for my needs.

RED-FIVE and Chips177 like this.
  7. Chips177

Chips177 Loaded Pockets

Good call on Osprey. Love my Quasar

8. ngc604

ngc604 Loaded Pockets

Have you considered the plan-c? I just bought one yesterday arriving today to test out tomorrow and Sunday.

Hoping this will fill my needs for a dedicated hydration bag for going to theme parks, zoos, and very short family hikes.(2 hour in city hikes) I was looking at one of the smaller camelbak bags but wanted more than 9L of space. I specifically wanted a bag that wasn't going to bang into people while walking down Main St in Disneyland. I'll carry less than you or I will probably carry on a long hike outside town but will include basic FAK, snacks, hydration bladder, water bottle, light kids jacket and light wife jacket.

Long hikes get Escapist 32 love.

9. MAGA

MAGA Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I've had a Rush 12 and I really wouldn't recommend it for day hikes. Its a great bag but I really wouldn't say for day hikes.

-over built, way over built and heavy for day hikes.
    -felt like a burden carrying it, it's desgned ot
    -the back has these pads that chaffs my lower back

Great life time EDC bag or Bugout bag, you can toss in AR mags and bullets, hit the desert and really thrash it.

I sold mine a while back. Now for day hikes, I use a deluxe hydration pack. They're designed for hiking, the slim profile makes hiking through narrow trails easy, and just enough room for snacks, med kit, and extra cloths...oh yeah also my trangia cook kit.

I'd recommend a Camelbak or Source Tactical (better than Camelbak).

This is my fav molle compatiable day hike pack:

[​IMG]

Last edited by MAGA, Friday at 7:57 PM
    #9 MAGA, Sep 14, 2018 at 7:22 PM
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 7:57 PM