1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rush 12 vs 24....?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Damon, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

I picked up the Rush 24 over the weekend, so far I'm liking it.

2. Gypscoprotheres

Gypscoprotheres Loaded Pockets

I've ordered the Rush 12 and their H2O pouch a few days ago. Later on I'm planning to buy another (vertical) pouch to attach on the other side. This way I'm expanding its size to the sides instead of making the pack "fatter".

I'll use it as an EDC bag (going to my work, sport, daytrips) and it needs to fit my EDC/"survival" pouch, a FAK, my electronics kit (just some cables, pendrives, e-reader and a powerbank), a Klean Kanteen water bottle, a book and a jacket.

Because I'll have the 5.11 H2O pouch, I won't use the water bladder space for water. Instead I'll use it to carry 1 or 2 study books. I'm also thinking about maybe adding some elastic cord to the webbing on the bottom of the bag. I might use it to attach my jacket for when I need the space.

The bag is still somewhere between the UK and the Netherlands, but later on I'll post some pics of the bag to show you if it fits all the stuff mentioned above.

anjin likes this.
  3. Gypscoprotheres

Last Saturday I've received my Rush 12 and I'm very happy with it. I have a lot of free space left after putting the stuff named above in it! I just need some spare time to make photos of it. To be continued.

4. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I'd be very interested to see the photos. I tried some pouches on the side and they just made it look too wide, and feel "odd". Let us know what you think after a while.

Gypscoprotheres likes this.
  5. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

6. I have both packs and I find the Rush 12 to be the most versatile for my needs. For me the Rush 12 is easier to wear when traveling in crowded places, on trains, subways etc. It fits neatly into most of the lockers and overhead stowage compartments that I have used. Whereas the Rush 24, in my experience, can sometimes feel bulky and difficult to manage in these situations, especially when fully loaded on a crowded train. The Rush 24 now lives in my truck and is mostly used for transporting or storing equipment.

In the main compartment of the Rush 12, I can fit my waterproofs, spare socks, gloves, hat, shemagh, trauma kit, pocket scope, day rations, and pack cover. In the rear compartment I have a three litre Source Hydration bladder, and in the front compartment I have comms, edc items, emergency shots, adrenaline, lidocaine, etc. If I need to carry extra equipment I use the molle to attach a larger medic pouch and other gear. It's also worth mentioning the weight of each pack without contents, as this may affect your decision, especially if you live in a humid climate or walk long distances.

Rush 12 = 2.76 pounds (1250 grams)

Rush 24 = 3.77 pounds (1710 grams)

#26 Deleted member 81972, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2017
    anjin likes this.
  7. Gypscoprotheres

Here we go! I've written a larger "review" on my personal page, but I won't put everything here because I want to keep it short (it contains photos of me carrying the pack and a lot more blabla)..

Front of my Rush 12 with H2O water bottle carrier
    (it only fits my Klean Kanteen because I have the SS lid)
    [​IMG]

Front compartment
    (still a lot of space left as you can see!)
    [​IMG]

Main compartment, photo 1
    [​IMG]

Main compartment, photo 2
    [​IMG]

The complete load

[​IMG]

• EDC-pouch (EDCM-Husky by Vanquest);
    • First Aid Kit;
    • E-reader;
    • Power bank;
    • USB cables
    • Pen drive;
    • Pens;
    • 2 books;
    • Klean Kanteen Stainless steel water bottle (800ml/27oz);
    • 1 sweater;
    • 1 pair of jeans;
    • 1 T-shirt;
    • 2 pair of socks;
    • A large hygiene "kit";
    • My Phone.
    The books, as written above, were stored in the water bladder compartment. The FAK and the Vanquest EDCM Husky in the water proof compartment inside the main compartment.

I hope this shows you how much this pack can carry. There is still a lot of free space left. Of course, I don't carry all this stuff every day!

8. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I never get tired of gratuitous bag photos.

9. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Nice photos Mizedog and Gypscoprotheres.

I have a Rush 24 that I use as my Lifeguarding/kayaking/adventure bag. I typically have 2 big fluffy towels, a swimsuit and rashguard, 1 or 2 changes of clothes, a 6-pack sized lunch bag, a fanny pack with First aid stuff, and sweatpants in the main compartment. I usually have a waterbottle in a milspec monkey bottle corset on one side and my flip flops S-binered and shock corded on the other side. I also typically have a hoodie or spare pair of shoes or wet suit boots in shock cording on the front. The admin pocket and butterfly pockets carry my normal basic edc stuff plus waterproof gear baggies plus a small first aid kit.

It's a great bag and can swallow a ton of stuff. Due to parking issues over the summer, I walked 6 blocks to and from a pool I lifeguarded at with it on my back and while it wasn't the most comfortable walk, it was more than doable.

I think it's a little bit on the overkill side for an office, but your mileage may vary. During the Fall, Winter, Spring seasons I have a job in a school and use a Vanquest Javelin to carry my lunch, first aid stuff, and edc stuff to work and a smaller bag works way better in that situation. The Rush 24 can still do the office thing, and I will use it in that role when I have extra gear to carry, it's just a little more bulky than I'd like for the office situation.

The one thing I love about the Rush 24 is there is a pocket for everything. The organization is so great. I love the side pockets, they're great for a spare water bottle or sun screen or other skinny, long items. They aren't, however, great for getting a water bottle in and out quickly without looking, which is why I added the MSM bottle corset. Also, the side pockets can just barely handle a 24 oz. bottle, so I doubt they could handle anything larger.

The only thing I don't really like is the sunglasses pocket is difficult to get glasses in and out of and takes up a bit of room in the main compartment. I use the glasses pocket for my phone or mp3 player more often than I do glasses and as a result, I've had some sunglasses get scratched up because I had them riding in the MOLLE webbing on the side of the bag.

Hope all my ramblings there help ya'll decide. It's tough to choose when you can't see and feel the bag before you buy it.

10. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

FWIW, I have both the 12 and the 24. The 12 was my normal EDC, but I found I needed to switch to the 24 anytime I anticipated needing some extra space, like on Fridays when I have to bring home my 2yo's stuff from daycare to wash it. And Mondays to bring it back.

So I'd say, if your EDC doesn't vary much, the 12 is probably better. If you need the flexibility, the 24. The 24 does feel like overkill on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday though... *shrug*

11. Datu

Datu Loaded Pockets

I like the 12, I've had a couple of them both confiscated by favorite nephews and nieces. It's about the right size, the 24 was too big for me, and for a carryon it was cumbersome. That too went the way of the others. The 12, has just the right amount of pockets, and spaces. I like the admin area with the pocket just above. Right now I'm using a MOAB 10, modified for shoulder straps. The 12? You'd do well by one.

12. Ram Man

Ram Man Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying the 12 for a few months in lieu of a laptop bag.Still have room to spare. I am getting used to some quirks (mine) since I was coming from a laptop bag and/or regular backpack
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#32 Ram Man, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  13. Ram Man

Ram Man Loaded Pockets

sorry for the horribly large picture

14. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Ram Man, the pic didn't load, for me at least. What site are you using to host your picture?

15. drunkengarbagecan

drunkengarbagecan Loaded Pockets

Get the 24 and just cinch it to make it smaller.

I could get no love out of the way the 12 straps fit me. 24 was much better at least for me

16. Gypscoprotheres

Even then, the 24 will still be larger:
    5.11 rush 12 vs rush 24

I guess we should buy them all (12, 24 & 72)! ;)

17. Ram Man

Ram Man Loaded Pockets

argh, I hate my life. Was using DropBox which worked in the past :-(

18. Gypscoprotheres

I want to add something: I've realized that carrying books inside the water bladder compartment makes the plastic plate (the one to keep the back part flat) pop out a little bit, so I stopped using it for my books. Then my EDC and medical pouches started to annoy my lower back. The plastic plates just bends a little bit because of it.

I found a perfect solution for this "problem": I cut the cover of an old binder and added it behind the plastic plate (not on the side of the water bladder compartment, but on the other side). Now the back is flat again and stays that way.

19. dan.05

dan.05 Loaded Pockets

I'm an automotive photographer and I needed a tough bag with enough room to fit heaps of gear. I went the 24 and I'm able to fit two cameras, tripod, flash and stand etc with plenty of room to spare. It's so comfortable and has a pouch for the sunnies!!!!

I got the 511 first aid kit too. I have so much room in te bag I put the first aid kit inside now. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20. Gypscoprotheres

Nice pics! Do you like their medical pouch and do you recommend it?

I forgot to mention another thing: I tossed the 5.11 H20 carrier pouched and bought a € 5 one from ebay. I find the 5.11 a little thin and floppy. The material is just not as strong as the backpack. The one I've bought from ebay on the other hand feels a lot more sturdy and has an extra pocket where I now carry my spork and opinel "eating knife". I love this new pouch! (plus it's € 15 cheaper!)