1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rush 12 vs 24....?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Damon, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Damon

Damon Loaded Pockets

I know a lot of you guys have these packs. I need to know, since I don't have anywhere to go physically check them out in person around here, which one I will need for my needs.

I am going to be using it for a daily carry. It will have my normal every day stuff, small gear, small med kit, small trauma kit, admin stuff. A spare change of clothes and maybe some drinks or lunch once in a while.

Can I fit all that in a 12 with room to spare?

Would the 24 be too large to carry everyday? I'm only 5' 11" 180 lbs.

2. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

The Rush 12 makes a perfect EDC bag. I also use it for business to carry my MPB13, biking, and hiking. This is the bag I started out with. The Rush 24 makes the perfect personal/carry on bag for air travel and weekend trips. If you need more space, you could pull off using a Rush 24 for EDC. As you can see, I eventually got both Rush 12 an Rush 24. Good luck.

[​IMG]

anjin and Datu like this.
  3. Damon

Damon Loaded Pockets

All I see is the "please update your account to enable 3rd party hosing" photobucket image.

4. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Huh?

5. rob13

rob13 Empty Pockets

I have a Rush 12 & a MaxP Sitka (sling). I carried the Sitka for over a year with mostly what you listed, plus some small items for my newborn daughter. It was great, until I also started carrying lunch to work, more stuff for her, etc. Enter the R12, which, with the same stuff, I actually have it cinched down all the way with the compression straps PLUS some extra straps I've added.

6. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

You really need to see both bags in the flesh, only you know the exact amount of gear that you'd be carrying.

For me the 12 were just a bit small for my needs, you mention spare clothes for example, the 12 would have struggled to take my summer jacket as well as my other stuff.

I've said it before, 511 really should make a Rush 18 bag.

Water-Rat and EZDog like this.
  7. dRo0G

dRo0G Loaded Pockets

I have both and carried the 12 quite a while as EDC with almost the same stuff you mentioned, except the spare clothes. It could fit, but you will have much trouble getting in a A4 (I’m from GER, don’t know how you call your paper sizes ;)) notebook in it (with the spare clothes, a rain-kacket fits in the hidden space directly at the shoulder straps perfectly...). With spare clothes you should definately go with the 24 (I have both). Just dont get the black one, my 12 is black and its hard to find stuff inside because its so dark ;). No problem finding smaller items in the 24 in FDE...

anjin and RoadWizard like this.
  8. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I have both.
    The RUSH 24 is my work bag and contains jacket, sweater, lunch, water bottles and other assorted things.
    I find it does the job nicely containing everything on the inside, with nothing dangling on the outside.
    My RUSH 12 I use as a bag to carry work out stuff, and as my "exploring" bag.
    I carry less when not at work, so I have a smaller pack.
    You can always cinch down a bigger bag, but to expand a smaller bag you have to add pouches, move things to the outside, etc.
    I personally like all my stuff contained within the pack itself.
    I don't have to carry a laptop for work, but if I did, I'd have a hard look at the Covrt 18.
    The Covrt 18 with it's water bottle pouches on the outside and a padded "sleeve" for a laptop make it a viable option.
    Water bottles take up space inside a pack, so shifting them to the outside gives one a lot more useable space on the inside.
    I like both my RUSH bags, and they serve different functions for different load outs.
    Similarly, I have different sized hammers for doing different jobs.
    In the end though, if I had to choose only one I'd prefer a RUSH 24 cinched down, to an overstuffed RUSH 12.

anjin and mizedog like this.
  9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I too am not a fan of adding pouches to the outside of a bag, l like the fact that the internal side pockets on the 24 will take a decent sized water bottle, I prefer that to a expandable sleeve or netting that other bags have, often they ain't deep enough to secure a bottle or flask.

anjin likes this.
  10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

This!
    There is just no way anyone can know if a bag is right for anyone else.

For me the ability to carry water bottles is paramount really so even though I like the Rush 12 for capacity in general the lack of any decent organic water bottle carry is a deal breaker for me.
    The R24 though much bigger has really great bottle pockets that many don't even seem to realize exist?
    This makes it better for me and worth the extra size but that might just be me too.

My clothes might also be bigger than yours.

There is just no knowing until you try a few in person somehow or see pics of your exact loadout somewhere else.

anjin and earthman like this.
  11. Damon

Damon Loaded Pockets

Yeah I really wish they made a Rush 18, that would be the perfect edc bag for me. I think I am going to go with the 24, it may be a little larger than what I am used to, but I will have plenty of storage space for my daily stuff(with room to spare), and I can also use it for when I take weekend trips to carry most of my stuff as well. And as someone above stated, I should be able to keep everything on the inside since it has so much room and tons of pockets on the inside as well. I like to keep everything on the inside also.

anjin and mizedog like this.
  12. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

The 12 is great, it is my EDC pack most of the time (apart from the times I buy a bigger pack, try it for two days and then go back to the RUSH12 because it ticks all the boxes). However, I spend most of my time wishing it was a 24. YMMV, but the 24 can be adjusted to make it smaller, the 12 can't be made bigger.

13. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

I just found out Photobucket is now charging $400/Yr. to hotlink photos. As my old friend Donny Brasco used to say, "Fuggedaboutit." *Poof* millions of hotlinked photos on various web sites throughout the www are now gone.

#13 EXCALIBUR, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Water-Rat and RoadWizard like this.
  14. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

That sounds like a rip off to me but I'm not up on this sort of thing or use PB to be honest. I've just noticed that all the pictures are now gone on many different types of forums etc.
    What's the general consensus among the user's then, is PB taking the urine??

mizedog likes this.
  15. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Affirmative.

16. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

I toiled over the question of whether the 12 is enough, the 18 is designed with enough structure and organization, or if the 24 is too large for EDC. I work in a business casual setting in a financial services office. I notice there are shot of black backpacks used now, just not many "tactical" packs. Most are the unstructured type that sag way down and ride close to the back. My 24 is a few months old and still is somewhat stiff. That means the top area where the handle is located, puffs out making it look fuller than it is.
    That being said, I find the size is very flexible. It has enough built in storage that I really don't have anything floating around the main section, except a rain jacket which is rolled up, laying on the bottom. They means that even that all my "what-ifs" are secured and the main compartment is often empty and available. During the work week, I stick a small lunch sack in the main compartment and I don't have other things rolling around in there making it hard to get at the sack.

Because of this, I find I'm using the 24 for varied settings too. For instance, on a recent cross country trip, it carried my 17" laptop. For a family trip to a Rockies game in Denver, it carried four rain jackets, food and water for four, plus all my regular junk (pointy things removed).
    So, I'm glad I have the 24. The challenge is that I keep adding things to the regular EDC list because I have room. I love the fact that everything is secured in zipper pockets.

*Edited to kill the Auto Correct monster*

#16 mizedog, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    anjin likes this.
  17. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

"The challenge is that I keep adding things to the regular EDC list because I have room. I love the fact that everything is secured in zipper pockets."

When packing my work bag I use pouches to keep things and find that they take up a little too much room, so I may just switch it out and start using the actual slots, mesh pockets, etc. as intended.
    I do this now with my RUSH 12 simply because it is a different load out.
    What I really need to do is come up with a load out that fits the admin pocket on the RUSH 12 & 24 that are identical, and then that way, I only have the main pocket as the one changing.
    It will also solve the problem of ":censored:, that 's in the other bag" syndrome I occasionally suffer from.
    The constant search for the perfect load out, in the perfect locations within the pack, is part of the journey

Water-Rat and Damon like this.
  18. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

In the large, non-zippered pouch inside the admin area, I do have two pouches that can easily move to another bag. One is a pencil bag very similar in size to a Maxpedition Cacoon that holds an old Leatherman PST, small prybar, duct tape, and batteries. The other is a first aid kit that also holds backup meds, whistle, tweezers, etc. These can both be moved to any bag and get me the basics. Even a psychic plastic shopping bag would become a ad hoc bag.

I do use the other nooks and crannies to hold daily use items. I always can find the goodies by feel. It just means a minute of the sound of zippers opening and closing.

If there is interest, I can post pics. I don't want to hijack the thread.

Water-Rat likes this.
  19. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Showing pictures of a loaded RUSH 12 or 24 gives people scale, and especially if they have some of the same equipment.
    I think it would add to the thread versus detract from it.

anjin likes this.
  20. Damon

Damon Loaded Pockets

\
    Yeah, and tons of them on here. I was browsing the older "Show us your bags" part 1 and 2, and there are pages and pages of posts in there that you can no longer see the photos. I can't believe they would do that to all those millions of people who used them to post photos to sites just like this one. I bet that has made a lot of people just a little bit upset with them.