1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rush 12 - Carry On

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by InvertedBob, Aug 27, 2015.

1. InvertedBob

InvertedBob Loaded Pockets

I'm planning on doing a lot of *cheap* plane trips and that involves only having carry on luggage. I'm also planning on buying a Rush 12 to use as an EDC/Everything else bag and I'm wondering if there's any carry on rules where the Rush 12 would be above the limit ?

2. 00ChevyScott

00ChevyScott Loaded Pockets

I've brought a Rush 24 on as a carry on and it fit just fine.

InvertedBob likes this.
  3. Bob the Dog

Bob the Dog Loaded Pockets

I've managed a Rush72 as carry-on. (although probably pushing it a bit when fully-loaded)

InvertedBob likes this.
  4. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

You're 12 will pass perfectly even if packed to the max but if you intend on bringing just one, go with the 24 or AHP, just don't make I bulge beyond 9" and vertically at 20". Next thing is the weight, make its below 10kg, to be safe 9'kg. Airline strictness vary but if you are riding twin engine like A320 or B737 they won't be stringent on weight. A 50seater turboprop will be different case and your carry on will be subjected to weight.

InvertedBob likes this.
  5. Thomas Chagrin

Thomas Chagrin Loaded Pockets

I agree with the other people posting. I used my R12 for a carry-on once and it was good. Just be careful if you add items to the sides - it'll get wide quick. Also, be careful of how full you pack it because it will get thick/deep and be a pain to shove under a seat or in an overhead. A carefully packed R24 might be another great option, though!

InvertedBob likes this.
  6. Brynoceros

Brynoceros Loaded Pockets

I have used my Rush 12 tiered with the Rush 10. I liked the fact I could easily separate the two and have a smaller more easily carried bag while I wasnt traveling. If I was only taking a carry on that is definitely what I would be carrying. I am heading away next weekend and going to use my AHN which I like to use over a Rush 12 alone. Just my two cents and hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

InvertedBob likes this.
  7. Rverdi

Rverdi Loaded Pockets

The nice thing about the 12 is that it'll usually fit under the seat in front of you. I hate using the overhead bins, always full and I have to get up and pull it out if I need anything.

Brynoceros likes this.
  8. dan46er

dan46er Loaded Pockets

Rush 12 is a good choice!

Brynoceros likes this.
  9. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I want a good bag that qualifies as a "personal item." The measurements are on the websites for TSA, airlines, etc. You know, the thing that could be a purse, laptop bag, etc. that doesn't count as your carry on bag. It should be able to fit in the seat in front of you. In the past, I've used the Maxped. EDC S-type bag, but its shape wastes space, and I could stuff something bigger under there.

Beyond the personal item, some smaller puddle jumper craft don't have overhead bins so you risk losing your bag in the belly of the plane. This is why I always have the personal item bag as well so I can meet basic needs in the event my carry on is separated, i.e. change of undies and socks, minor hygiene items, and typical TSA-friendly EDC stuff.

10. Ike582

Ike582 Loaded Pockets

I've flown with the R12 on many CRJ's and other small jets and you can certainly stuff it into the overhead bin or under the seat. As others have noted, if you stuff it to max capacity it's a tight fit, but you will still fall within the airline limitations.

11. rattletrap

rattletrap Empty Pockets

I'll be traveling on spirit airlines and they charge for a carry on. I should be able to pack a weekends worth of gear in my drago gear tracker which qualifies as a personal item. It should double as a day bag too.

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  12. ArkansasFan30

So it will indeed go under the seat. Interesting. I like those bags, but I'm trying to turn away from that tactical look for EDC.

13. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

I was wondering why you are trying to turn away from the tactical look for EDC? I think I know why but wanted to double check.

14. ArkansasFan30

The tactical look just doesn't blend in, and I wear business attire during the day so the tactical element is even more glarding. I say that but presently lug a Maxpedition EDC shoulder bag (Versipack I think?) up and down the building every day. I think it has its place but office work and traveling aren't. Just taking the this Maxped bag through the secuirty search at Disney World is troubling. I have a Maxped. Falcon II for a GHB, and I think that's ok. In an instance, I can't drive back home I don't care if my bag is tactical looking or not, yet the tides are turning to make those types of bags more "gray" in appearance.

I have my eyes on the Vertx Gamut EDC, but I fear it may be too long/too big for EDC use. I'm 6'2" (with a long torso), but I want to look like I'm going on a day hike.

15. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Yes, I figured it was to be more "gray".
    When you say the tides are turning, what do you mean?
    Thank you

16. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

FWIW the Refacfor Tactical ASO bag is more "grey" in appearance and was specifically designed to be the max dimensions for carry-on items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. ArkansasFan30

You're good at asking questions. They have a calm, inquisitive tone. What do you do for a living?

The "tides are turning" refer to a change. In this instance, I see that the prepping community is beginning to turn from an "all tacitcal" school of thought for materiel to that of a more subdued approach.

18. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

I've flown with a Falcon2 many times and it fits fine under the seat in front with side attachments (barnacle, cocoon, mini, and a hazard4 sunglass case so nothing huge) I haven't had em side by side but I hear the Falcon is slightly bigger than the rush12 so you should be OK.

19. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Thank you, I'm an Entrepreneur and own/operate a marketing agency.

I have gone gray as well. For a backpack I will either carry a Tom Bihn Synapse 25 or Camelbak Urban Assault Concealed.

I own the Rush 12, 24, 72, AHN, and AHP but only use them when I won't be in public areas.

20. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

I don't think of it as a main stream change to go more 'subdued'. It's like anything else, there's ebbs and flows. Trends. New bags come out and people look at them and ooh and ahh. Those of us that pay attention to such things that is. This season might be more subdued. Next season they'll swing back to something more tactical looking. Maybe in a new awesome color or camo. Etc. Maxpedition, 5.11, Hazard 4, they're still making their flagships and they're selling great.

For those not in the communities to do such, a bag is a bag is a bag.(At least in the US.) Unless you have weapons or something hanging off it, or are sporting a full 3 day assault pack, fully loaded, or the like, most people aren't really going to give you two looks. Not even camo raises brows any more. I've got camo onsies for my 11 month old daughter. It's 'fashion' and nothing more than another color/pattern. One that's quite popular as of the last 10 years or so. You can't walk through walmart or target with out seeing multiple clothes for children, teens all the way up into the adult sections in many different camo patterns.

Most people don't notice bags. They may notice there's 'a' bag, but unless you're kitted out for bear or a combat assault, people don't flag you as 'tactical'. Most wouldn't even associate the name with a style.

It's sort of like my wife and cars. (Just speaking for her.) She doesn't know makers and different cars that much. She can point out 'Sedan' or "Station wagon" "SUV" or "Sports car" even "Convertable". Past that she can pick out Mustangs and Chargers because she likes them, but everything else is "A orange car" or "A red car" or what have you. She's not stupid. she's a very bright and intelligent woman. Far better than I deserve. lol, but she just doesn't -care- about cars. So she doesn't invest enough to be able to tell a ford from a chevy (Unless it's got the name right in her face). Most are the same way about bags.

You're "A guy with a black backpack" or "A girl with a green back pack." maybe "A dude with a back pack with alot of straps" or even "A guy with a big bag? Maybe a hiking bag?" or at the very most "A guy with a bag, might have been military?"

Noone, not in the same circles as us, looks at a guy and goes 'Oh my, that person has a 5.11, rush 24, with molle on it and internal dividers. that's a tactical bag. You can tell due to all the organization and ability to attach things via the molle webbing on the outside!" Or even "The guy was here with a -Tactical- Bag"

Even at shooting incidents, like the recent one in the theater where the guy committed suicide by cop. he had two bags on him. Noone described the bags as tactical or anything else. They were 'two black bags'.

So people should really just get what they like. If they like the tactical looking bags, then use them. Noone else is paying that much attention to you. Those that would or might... are going to know the subdued bags too. Cops. Military. Other guys and gals like us on boards dedicated to this sort of thing. I know that I pick out conceal and carry bags all the time. I don't make a big deal about it, but being a gun owner with a C&C, I've looked over the options. I know when a bag a guy is wearing in walmart isn't just to hold his wallet and stuff. I know the ones designed for conceal and carry. So when I see them I know what's going on. Other people like us might notice someone with a bag that's 'tactical' but it's because we like/use/know them for what they are.

The 'masses' don't. Won't. And don't care.

biomike and steeps like this.