1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rugged Mechanical Pencil

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by mike3145, Mar 22, 2017.

1. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I've always picked up a pack of basic 0.5mm mechanical pencils to keep in my tool bag. Maybe the last batch (Bic, I think) are a little less durable than those in the past but the plastic tip keeps getting bent. I know there are some mechanical pencils with retractable tips but at least the ones I saw were pretty darn expensive. Is there such a thing as an inexpensive but reasonably durable mechanical pencil?

2. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Well, the old Pentel Sharp Mechanical pencil in a .05 is pretty tried and true...as long as you take reasonable efforts to protect the ferrule. They're pretty darn durable overall.

Another potential option is also a Pentel option, and it is the GraphGear 1000 (in .05). It's a little more expensive, but it has a retractable ferrule and an all aluminum body. I carry this one around in my pack and it takes some pretty hard abuse and still works.

There's probably some others too.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

A two pack of these was about 5 bucks. As you can see the tip retracts.
    The body is a bit flexible. But it feels as if it'll take a beating.
    Office Max/Depot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Water-Rat likes this.
  4. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

If you're having troubles with the tips of the Bic disposable pencils breaking in your bag, I recommend you find a tube or something you can put your pencil in. Few pencils will be tolerant of that type of abuse.

I use a 2mm lead holder with hard lead (2H or 4H) in the shop for marking stuff. If I need a finer edge, I can sharpen the lead by rubbing it on sandpaper or concrete or something.

--flatline

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Zebra makes a mech pencil version of their stainless F701 pen called the M701. The tip is not retractable, though. Should be able to hold up to most abuse and you should be able to find it for around $10. I believe it's a .7mm though, so you'd have to change lead thickness.

I've been using the Pentel Twist Erase. Again, it doesn't have a retractable tip, so you need to have a shirt with a suitable pocket or a pencil holster of some kind. But, it works well day in and day out for me. I work in a school and use the thing to write and erase several times a day and the only thing I've ever had trouble with on them is the pocket clip, which will come off if you try to attach it to something thick. It has a couple other quirks, but it's the best I can find with a huge eraser so far.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

You can occasionally find the old metal pencil covers, they will work for protecting most mechanical pencils due to the slot on them. I use them on my .5 and .3 pentels

7. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Check out Zebra Delguard LX. They are quite the rugged little beasts. Not sure if they are being sold outside of japan by now but even then you can get em for under 10 bucks shipped to your door.

8. strongblackcoffee

strongblackcoffee Loaded Pockets

Check out the Rotring 600.

9. FortyCaliber

FortyCaliber Empty Pockets

The rOtring 800 has a retractable tip but costs about $50.

The Ruger Fellhoelter is very durable for about $30.

I like the Papermate Twist Up Advance and the Zebra G2 for expendables.