1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rugged and functional watch recommendation?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Jaysop, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Jaysop

Jaysop Loaded Pockets

So I recently picked up a Sunnto Core Military and I love the look of it but I fear it's not as rugged as my old Gshocks.
    Im very rough on my watches and beat the CRAP out of them.
    I bang and snag them on stuff all day at work and get them wet and dirty while I'm out hiking and mountain biking as well.

I like the look of the Sunnto, probably would swap out the band for a nylon one though. Is there something as tough as a Gshock that looks and functions like the Core with just as good of a user interface?
    It needs to be someone of a nice looking watch because I have to look presentable all day. All black would be ideal.
    Thanks

2. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

Gshock rangeman has the features but the screen isn't as good as the suunto IMO I use a garmin fenix 3 these days and it's proved pretty tough nowhere near gshock but is still looks good after a few months of hard use I work in construction, the gshock mud master has caught my eye because it seems much more legible but I've yet to see one in the flesh/ try it. Similar to yourself I want gshock rugged with in my case fenix 2/3 UI and features. However my fenix 2 lasted a good 2 years of hard use without any issues aside from a few scratches to the bezel and the fenix 2 up to now is proving similar with a screen protector on so fingers crossed.
    For what it's worth my old suunto lasted very very well for years.

Kev2488 likes this.
  3. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

Garmin Fenix 3 is a good option. Does everything you need a watch to do. Has Bluetooth for notifications, activity tracking and GPS. Also a host of customizable options. Just make sure you get a screen protector I didn't and it got scratched from a concrete wall. Had mine since April and wear it everyday doing HVAC, I'm in attics crawls reaching into equipment and reaching into hard to get places and the watch has held up nicely. Nothing is going to be as tough as a Gshock and if your going to wear this watch while working and hiking and biking it's going to get scratched up so it's gonna kinda hard to be presentable for certain things. Here's mine notice the scratch. Have since put a protector on it.[​IMG]Also no watch I have had has this kind of comfort with it. I can wear it all day and night and is like it's not there, I think the Silicon instead of runner band and being a bigger watch it just sets perfect.

Henryhoover likes this.
  4. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

I think the Fenix 3 is great too; I would suggest spending a bit more for the sapphire crystal model.

5. Alphy

Alphy Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Rangeman. I had a Suunto core and felt like it was cheap. Mineral crystal (and extremely exposed), non solar, hard to read display, aluminum bezel that looks like you picked it out of dumpster after a week, the watch had to be locked or I would just start hitting buttons with my wrist, and no real water protection to speak of which I feel like is the most important part. The only good thing I can say about the watch was the instruments were accurate. I took it back and just looked around for another ABC watch. Picked up a Rangeman and man is that an awesome outdoor watch. From my testing the V3 triple sensor is just as accurate as the Suunto and you get all the great g-shock features for less money than the Suunto. Plus it's atomic as well which is just an added bonus.

P.S. One more thing, I feel like the Rangeman has a way better layout and interface. It is much easier to use in my opinion.

6. Jaysop

Jaysop Loaded Pockets

I do like the range man. I'd probably get the all black one but they're hard to find. I'll have to look into the Fenix 3 as its a nice looking watch.

I love the negative display of the suunto and haven't had any issues with being able to read it.

Sato likes this.
  7. Alphy

Alphy Loaded Pockets

Ya, I mean watches are a very personal thing and everyone has their own opinion. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa. That was just my 2 cents. I feel like the Suunto is a super good looking watch, but falls short everywhere else and isn't very rugged at all. That being said they have a large following and people swear by them.

8. pumpmaster

pumpmaster Loaded Pockets

I just bought a Rangeman and put it through a lot this week while ATVing/camping/fishing. It has held up great and surprisingly disappears on my wrist due to its light weight and strap design. The compass always indicated correctly when cross referenced with a map or gps (I was testing it since it's new). The barometer was a feature I didn't think I cared much about, but I'm finding you can monitor it to identify any significant changes in weather ( the graph dropped significantly a couple hours before a thunderstorm).
    The solar/atomic makes sense for this type of watch and the back lighting makes reading the entire face easy at night.
    Due to its "thickness" or the height it stands off your wrist it doesn't play well with long sleeved clothing. I found that at night I'd have to button the sleeve of my jacket over the watch as it wouldn't just slide over it (I was defending myself against black fly and mosquito attack).
    It's a good looking watch for outdoor activities or extremely casual wear. It would look pretty out of place in an office or more formal setting.
    Anyways, hope some of my rambling thoughts help.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

twin63 likes this.