1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ruger SR9?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by OperationOrange, Jan 13, 2009.

1. OperationOrange

OperationOrange Loaded Pockets

I really like the new SR9 from Ruger, but everyone I talk to tries to talk me out of it with statements like "Ruger just doesn't make good semi-autos," "It's already had 2 recalls," etc. Thing is, it just seems to fit my hand better than ANYTHING out there. XDm with the smallest backstrap would be the next best thing. All things equal, I'd rather have a Glock, but not having much experience with them, they just don't feel "right."

What do ya'll say? Get the SR9, or learn to love something else (Glock 17 for instance)?

2. whiskey

whiskey Loaded Pockets

I have owned a couple of Ruger semi autos and have friends with several. I don't know where the dislike comes from. I think that Ruger semi autos and many other fine guns are the victims of internet :censored:! Get the Ruger. There are plenty of people out there that are very happy with them. Ruger has good customer service, so even if you do have an issue they will correct it. Get one and let us know how it works for you.

I like Glocks. I like Kahrs. I like Rugers. I like Kimbers. I like RIA. I like Springers. I buy what feels good in my hand.

3. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

I would ask, what are the recalls about, and were the customers well treated. If the bluing keeps coming off the trigger guard that is Eh, if it fires on its own when holstered, that is not to be tolerated. But Ruger seems to be the kind of company that stands by products. Just my 2 cents.

4. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Nice way of thinking.

AFAIK, concerns over customer safety and liability. They're either too careful, or their QC has slipped. You pick your reason (or come up with your own explanation).

5. OperationOrange

OperationOrange Loaded Pockets

The only recall I know for sure about is the worry about firing when dropped with the safety off. They replaced the trigger with a glock-style trigger that has a built in safety. Now it won't fire EVER unless someone pulls the trigger... should have done that to begin with, but.... All the guns I've seen on the market already have the new trigger, so nothing to worry about there from my point of view.

6. DetroitMatt

DetroitMatt Empty Pockets

My dad purchased the SR9 as soon as it came out and I've have had a chance to shoot it extensively - really nice gun!. There are some quality control issues, as he's had to send it back twice. The first time it failed to shoot the first time he took it to the range. The cause was unknown, but it was sent back the day after he got it. Their customer service was very good though, and he got the gun back about two or three weeks later. A bummer, but they handled it well. Sent it back with an extra mag and a SR9 hat. Gun worked fine after that, then it was recalled and needed to be sent back to Ruger a second time for the new trigger assembly. He was without it again for another two weeks or so.

Now that the gun is back, it's really a nice gun. Very accurate, and the new trigger seems to be much nicer than the one that came with it. It's very slim, has great balance, and really does fit well in the hand. If you can look past the issues in the beginning, it's a very very nice firearm. I suppose it's like a new car model, usually takes them a while to work out the bugs. It's the price you pay I suppose for being the first to get something. I'd say that if you were to buy one now, you're probably OK as far as reliability goes.

In the end, I would buy what fits and feels the best. There really aren't any "bad" pistols being made nowadays. And if you have a problem, most Customer Service departments are very good. I know Ruger's was.

If the SR9 feels the best, I'd get it.

7. muddyboots_73

muddyboots_73 Empty Pockets

I've owned an SR9, and didn't like it. The trigger was sloppy and had to much creep in it, and the reason I got rid of it was the first day I took it shooting I loaded the mag and chambered the first round, as I pulled the trigger it felt like it was going to shoot but didn't. I pulled slide back to see the round and no dent was on primer the firing pin did not even strike the primer it stayed in the firing position.
    I took the gun apart and re-chambered the round this time I shot 6 rounds thru it and then jammed. I took the gun apart again and it did the same thing as the first time. This happened 3 times before I got fed up with the gun.
    I called Ruger they were good about sending the info to get it fixed and they said it was the trigger resset, and they would fix it. After a few weeks got the gun back took it out to shoot it again and it did the same thing over...A friend of mine said that you have to be patient with it and he bought it off me to only see a recall on the gun. He no longer owns this pistol anymore.