1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

RUGER Modifications & Accessories Thread!

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by olletsocmit, Jun 18, 2013.

1. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Banned

I know there are not as many, well even close to the amount of mods and accessories out there for the Ruger guns as there are for the Glock, but I thought it would be a good topic.

gooseman1991 likes this.
  2. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Banned

I dont know about you all, but I hate the LCI (loaded chamber indicator) thing on my SR9C... I have seen guys filing it down, but really have not seen one tutorial or even pics of where they filed or how much. Anyone on here do it yet?

3. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I don't mind the LCI all that much, but the first thing I did when I had it detail stripped to clean the factory grease out was to neglect to put the magazine disconnect safety back in. In the heat of the moment, I don't want a non firing weapon because I accidentally dropped the mag. It also allows you to do dryfire drills without fear of damaging the firing pin with no mag in the weapon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Gollum24601 likes this.
  4. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I LOVE my SR9C! Like Stonerman, I don't mind the LCI. Not sure I would want to file/grind it down in case I ever have to sell it. I say HAVE TO because that's the only way I would part with it. I'm 50/50 on the mag disconnect. I'd hate to not be able to get off a shot if the mag drops, but I'd also hate to get myself and others shot if the bad guy gets the weapon away from me. Other than some traction grips, I can't think of any mod's I'd want to do.

keeper likes this.
  5. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Magazine safeties can be a nice feature in a retention struggle. If a bad guy is got his hands on your weapon, pushing the mag release button, disables the gun if he gets it from you. Noe of my guns have them, but if they did, and it did NOT effect the trigger pull(like the HI Powers) then it wouldn't bother me.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  6. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

Ruger Mark iii 22/45 was picked up for my daughter to hopefully start shooting competition. She hasn't yet to many other things going on. This is great for plinking though and she loves shooting it, we all do actually.
    [​IMG]
    Okay the trigger and sear have been replaced the trigger now breaks at 2.5lb and has 1/16" pre travel and 1/32 over travel. The lci has been remover and the bushing has been replaced. Replacing the hammer bushing helps reduce the trigger pull, removes the magazine disconnect safety, and leaves you with a takedown like a Mark ii. Had to add a Bushnell trs-25 red dot to help with speed acquiring targets. Did the slingshot mod so you can pull back the slid in order to release it into battery. No more having to hold down the slide release. Everything on the inside except the sear has been polished to help smooth the trigger. The feed ramp has been polished to a high shine. All magazine's have been torn down, mold lines removed and polished, and the tracks for the thumb screws polished. Helps improve reliable feeding for rapid fire. Only thing missing is a can and it would be a perfect toy.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

mud80 and MCPOWoller like this.
  7. MCPOWoller

Besides my SR9C, I also have the original Ruger 22/45. That thing is a tac driver. Wish I had the newer version though. I never felt the need to work on the trigger as it was already pretty good. How much of a difference can you or your daughter feel with the trigger job?

8. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

Magazine disconnect safety is a crap feature in my opinion. It is a over safety device that allows people to become complacent and careless. Repeated studies show that the more safety you build into something the more careless people are with said item.Don't be lazy about saftey and we wouldn't need stupid things like magazine disconnect safety.
    I mean how freaking hard is it to:
    A. Know how to handle and use your weapon properly (don't laze things, jeez maintain some muzzle awareness for Pete's sake)
    B. Unless the weapon is stripped broken down into its misc components never assume it's empty
    C. Even if you just unloaded and cleared it, just assume you fubar'd it somehow and it is still loaded

swany66675 likes this.
  9. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rule in my house all guns are loaded unless you clear it yourself. Stupid indicators and safeties lead to complacency and sloppy firearms handling. Anything mechanical can and eventually will fail don't trust them. Use your brain don't trust things thought up by politicians and lawyers with no real world experience in what they litigate.

10. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Banned

Yea. I took out the magazine disconnect and will post pics soon of my grinding, polishing, tumbling, etc process to get rid if the LCI flag

| Sent from my iPhone 4S |

11. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

I replaced my bushing with one from tandemcross. My trigger had a lot of pre & over travel, the pull was 4.5lb + and had some creep. The older rugers had better triggers in the target and hunter models. I'm not sure if the lawyers got to the new models.

12. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

I've got three Rugers and none of them are completely stock... :)
    [​IMG]

GP100... just a trigger job... smooth like butter, and a hair trigger with the hammer cocked. Only a 3' barrel but it'll hit playing cards at 25 yards ;)
    [​IMG]

Mark II Blued Target... Only has target grips and is also pretty accurate and fun to shoot :)
    [​IMG]
    Another shot to really see the grips.
    [​IMG]

10/22 Stainless... Buttler Creek bull barrel, cheap scope, extended mag release, bipod, Fajen target stock, Tactical Innovations 25 round mag (not shown). Its really fun and decently accurate. I can shoot pennys through paper at 100yds... It really needs a TG2000 (trigger) ;)
    [​IMG]

mud80 likes this.
  13. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Banned

So...

Magazine disconnect out...
    [​IMG]

I just finished up about an 2 hours of grinding, running thru my tumbler, and polishing my LCI (loaded chamber indicator). It's perfect in my opinion... Looks stock after tumbling and polishing. I went flat, so it does not come up at all. I may get another one and have it stick up just a little, but not sure yet.

The gun had a round in the chamber...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? Look good like this or get another flag for $7 and have it stick up just ever so slightly?

keeper likes this.
  14. mud80

mud80 Loaded Pockets

Nice GP. Here's mine. Been thinking about having it worked over, trigger job & milled out for moon clips. Anyone else a fan of moon clips?
    [​IMG]
    P1030521 by Mud80, on Flickr

15. mud80

mud80 Loaded Pockets

My modded Ruger. Just a simple 10/22 with a Butler Creek stock, easier to take along hiking. Since moving to CA, the 50-round mag is no longer in service...
    [​IMG]
    10/22 by Mud80, on Flickr

MCPOWoller and evolutionglitch like this.
  16. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

My 10/22:
    [​IMG]

Although since then I've brought it back to a more classic, stock appearance:
    [​IMG]

Still has the extended mag release, polymer bolt buffer, and auto bolt release, and the unnecessary flash hider that I had to loctite on. Mine came with the short barrel and fiber optic sights. I'm debating putting in the left handed safety, but it's kind of a pain to tear the whole thing down and I don't use the safety anyways. I wonder if I can just remove the darn thing...

MCPOWoller likes this.
  17. mwestjeeper

mwestjeeper Loaded Pockets

My only concern with the LCI grinding, is the gun in the hands of someone other than the owner. Having something that says "loaded when up" that is down, yet loaded, seems like trouble. Basically making a false statement that the gun is without round in chamber, when it in fact DOES. I think they are silly, myself, but it would be much better to get rid of the lettering on there if grinding it flat. Having a tab that lies about a round in the chamber, is not the same as not having an LCI at all. Just my opinion...

keeper and MCPOWoller like this.
  18. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Yikes, that's a godawful looking LCI. That would be a total deal-breaker for me, no matter how good the rest of the gun was. It really grinds my gears that Ruger has tucked their tail between their legs and just gone crazy with the unnecessary mag safeties, LCIs, and safety billboards on the barrels and frames. They are, by far, the most spineless gun company I can think of.

19. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Banned

Well after getting rid of the big LCI flag and shooting today gun shoots flawless. I shot a glock 24 after thou and after only 150 rounds thru this ruger, I have decided I think I want to sell it and get a glock....

I really don't wanta take a huge hit. Thing is brand new! Sell privately? Will I have to sell to someone close to me to meet them and sign the papers? Never sold a gun before

20. MCPOWoller

Depends on the laws in your state. In CA you have to use an FFL dealer. Here in TN you can sell private. On Gun Broker SR9C's are going for $400-$480. Probably get $350-$400 for it used.
    Good luck! If I had an extra $400 I'd buy it off you right now. I LOVE my SR9C.

keeper likes this.