1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ruger mini 14.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Buckeye Jake, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

When I bought mine, Carter was in the white house . 1980 , forty years a longtime really . Why no ar 15 ?
    Simple really, only colt made ar 15 , not cheap and impossible to find . A stainless mini came available for 287 dollars and I grabbed it up . Best decision I ever made . Thousands of flawless rounds later . It's what called a pencil barrel. Accurate? Yes it will stay on the bottom of a pop can at a 100 yards. Not a inch group gun , but useable. Absolutely not ammo picky. Cheap junk to target ammo all work just fine . I now prefer the federal brand or the imi which is the best made .
    Faults , the main one is the mags , around forty a pop . And you don't find many of them around.
    But they are steel and last and last . Five ,10 , 20 my favorite , 30 . Ruger only period.
    Many times I have thought about going the ar15 route. But couldn't justify it . Plus , I am pistol guy really.
    That said I got the old guy out and ready to go . Mine eats 223 or 556 as it was designed to do so .
    I dont use the m855 62 grain , only the m193 55 grain . Why ? Simple when the mini 14 was designed the heavier m855 didnt exist. Would it hurt the over built ruger who knows. I have plenty of m193 , so why try it ?
    I tell the younger generation to just go the ar15 route because the options are endless.

Jake

Old Soul and Rusty412 like this.
  2. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

My brother worked the towers at a local prison, when they switched over to Mini-14. All guards took the small mag out and switched to the 30.

3. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Understand that. May i ask what state ? I believe ohio used them at one time. When I got mine only five erer available do to an ohio law . It was changed.

4. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

this was Solidad Prison, CA , back in the 80's? maybe earlier. It replaced old M-1 carbines (in the towers).

5. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I purchased a blued one at about the time period...mine was not nearly as accurate as yours... close to 5" at 100yd with open sights.... at the time I was just started shooting the IPSC style gun sports, and not having access to high cap magazines and better accuracy was a problem....mine did have a very good trigger, and I had the gas plug hard chromed to help with maintenance... a Ranch Products Weaver mount that fit on the gas block and a 2 1/2x EER scope,, and I had a "Scout Rifle"... a couple of years later I had switched to the AR.... I did always want one of the "GB" minis, with the sight at mid barrel... I once handled a GB with a straight magazine and M1 Carbine style sights that was some over-run for a friendly foreign country...they are no longer cheaper than an AR... regards

6. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I had a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch when they first came out with that model. Good thing it came with the scope rings built in because I lost the flip up iron sight on the second outing. It was an OK rifle. Eventually I sold it and got my first AR.

7. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

I agree with Buckeye Jake's assessment of the Mini. Mine is a 180 series, 1974-1977. Great weapon, accurate, and a proven platform, IMHO. I personally prefer the twenty round mags and have picked up a number over the years. I always figured ten per loadout and resupply would be optimal. A number of the smaller California Agencies used the Mini in the 70s and 80s.
    [​IMG]

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Mine is about 25 years old and it hasn’t seen much use.

I’ve been researching a conversion to the 6.5mm Grendel with a bull barrel and a harmonic balancer. Should tighten the grouping quite a bit.

Magazine capacity will be curtailed with this conversion due to the fatter cartridge case, but the enhanced accuracy will make it worthwhile for me.

9. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Affordable, available and goes bang.
    Most ones I’ve tried shoot better than their reputation, but it never appealed to me.
    I only shoot semi auto for competition, and they just can’t compete with ARs.

10. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

There was a time when the Mini-14 was more affordable that the ARs. The opposite is the scenario now. Just goes to show how industry support and demand can lead to the emergence of a cottage industry and a lower price point.

To a much-smaller extent, the Mini-14 has had a loyal following, but not as significant as the AR.

Fifty to one-hundred yard outdoor use is the typical distance that I have used mine. With the modification that I described earlier in this thread, it will likely perform adequately beyond that but I’ll keep its use under 100 yards for more precise results.