1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by tglassburner, Jul 19, 2010.

?

Which should I get Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT?

1. Ruger LCP

63 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Kel-Tec P3AT

31 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. Other

17 vote(s)
    15.3%
  1. PX

PX Empty Pockets

Br:

And the poor sight problem can be address one of two ways..

1. Crimson Trace makes an excellent laser for the LCP. ($154.00)
    2. Innovative Arms makes has an excellent slide refinish/sight upgrade for the LCP. ($160.00)

I have found the Crimson Trace laser to be excellent addition to my LCP, and the barrel and slide are off now to Innovative Arms for their sight upgrade.

FWIW I don't think a tiny mousegun carried concealed for "close up and personal" self defense even NEEDS external sights, or a laser.. Such confrontations are generally within "point and shoot" distance, and therefore you would be looking at the target or threat, not any sights anyway.

But...

IF a confrontation occurs at a distance that will allow you to seek a good sight picture, or place the red laser dot on the center mass of the threat THEN having such options are nice..

But at the same time, IF you have enough time for that it's prudent to retreat rather than confront, so it's up to the person in the situation to decide whether to move away from the threat rather than use potentially deadly force.

I'm of the conviction that anytime you shoot someone, NO MATTER how righteous it might be, you will still be in for a long process proving you had no other choice, and even if cleared of any libability, criminally, you are always subject to civil proceedings by some shyster lawyer representing the person you shot.. (Who of course was a choirboy, dedicated to helping the poor and homeless, and you obviously overreacted when you placed a round in his ticker "thinking" you were being threatened..)

Just personal opinion, no offense.

Best Wishes,

jesse

P.S. I have two LCP's and my bride has one.. All three have been absolutely reliable and surprisingly accurate right out of the box.

2. benvr8

benvr8 Loaded Pockets

PX made some good points... the sights are a problem with both. I own both a Kel-Tec P-32 and (3) Ruger LCPs, that should say it all. In fact, I just sold the Kel-Tec. It was not sufficiently reliable for a defensive weapon. Nor was it fun to shoot as it hurt your hand (poor grip, molded plastic grip, trigger, etc.) They are just poorly finished. Now that being said, the Ruger LCP is, in my opinion, a Kel-Tec clone, but with significant ergonomic, aesthetic, and functional improvements. I would highly recommend the Ruger LCP over the Kel-Tec P3AT, the Magnum Research Micro Eagle .380, or the NAA Guardian .380. I've fired all of the above and now I'm down to three Ruger LCPs.

If you're looking for a good pocket pistol, you should definitely consider a Kahr. I bought a Kahr PM9 used, with about 500 rounds through it. It's in great shape and it is incredibly accurate for it's size. Good ergonomics, points naturally, and has REAL SIGHTS! Capacity of regular magazine is 6+1, capacity of extended (pinky) mag is 7+1. Have a look! Size-wise it's about 40% larger than an LCP, it probably weighs at least twice as much but it is a full 9mm parabellum as opposed to the LCP's .380ACP (9mm court).

3. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

I bought an LCP two weeks ago. I fondled both the LCP and the P3AT. The Ruger was a little bit more expensive, but the fit and finish seemed to be better. The Ruger just felt right in my hand, which is why I choose it over the Kel-Tec.

I can't say how reliable it is, since I haven't fired it. Good luck in your decision making process.

4. mohctep

mohctep Empty Pockets

I just bought a "Wallet Brown" Kel Tec P3AT.
    I did so based on my experience with shooting a friends-who has put hundreds of rounds through his with ZERO problems.
    I will shoot mine this weekend,and do not anticipate any problems with it.

5. PX

PX Empty Pockets

moh:

Absolutely nothing wrong with your choice... We all know that "imitation is the most sincere form of flattery", and no doubt Ruger was flattering the crap out of KelTec's P3AT with their production of the Ruger LCP.

I preferred Ruger primarily because I have had a relationship with Ruger guns for roughly four decades and never had a bad one, and,IMO, Ruger did a bit of "refinement" in the LCP that makes it appeal to me a bit more than the excellent P3AT..

That doesn't make the LCP any "better" than the KT P3AT, nor any worse.

Just another option..

The only person you have to satisfy with your choice of the P3AT over the LCP is yourself, and if you are happy, that's all that matters.

Good shooting to ya,

Best Wishes,

Jesse

6. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

So it's been 5 pages and 3 months...what did you get?

7. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

I am fortunate to own an LCP, P3AT and Kahr PM9. As between the LCP and P3AT, I subjectively prefer the Ruger. It just feels a little better in the hand, and to me imparts a slightly higher level of quality. Both have been reliable. And I can't hit squat with either of them past a few feet. In my view, these guns are purely for up close and personal confrontations. These guns are so small that you can barely tell its in your pocket, assuming you have the right holster. I go with Uncle Mike's size 3.

That being said, I carry the PM9 all day every day. While its larger than the .380s, I have become acquainted with the size and never notice that its there. The 9mm is likely (almost assuredly) a more effective round, and with real sights on it I can actually hit what I am shooting at. In my view, its the best pocket carry gun out there when considering size vs. firepower. Nutnfancy agrees, and take that for what its worth.

[​IMG]
    LCP.

[​IMG]
    PM9.

8. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I've carried an LCP for about a year and prefer it over the Keltec. The Ruger looks and feels like it is built better. I've owned many Rugers and have never had a problem with one.

9. AliasNeo07

AliasNeo07 Loaded Pockets

Well, I have had my Ruger LCP for about a year and I installed a Crimson Trace Laserguard on it. I've fed about....400 rounds through it including:
    Winchester White Box, Federal Reduced Recoil Hydrashoks, a box of Remington Golden Sabers, multiple boxes of Speer Gold Dots, and some PMC FMJs. I have never had a failure of any kind. And I'd like to add that Rugers customer service is TOP NOTCH (I've had to send a gun in in the past.)

Just my .02.

10. TheRifleman

TheRifleman Loaded Pockets

I own a Ruger LCP with a Crimson Trace Laser and for the price, reliability and size I just feel that it can't be beat for an EDC. The long trigger pull takes some getting used to but it's grown on me. I love my little Elsie Pea, set to get my CCW in December and have an Uncle George's on the way, the wife doesn't know it yet but is getting one for Christmas.

11. sstrawsb

sstrawsb Loaded Pockets

very good thread. I have been looking at both for a new CCW. I use to have a Glock 26 and sold it (dumb). Is the PM9 a tab bigger then the LCP?

12. balitech

balitech Empty Pockets

I recently got a KAHR P380 and some extra 6 rd magazines. What I like about it is that it has a slide stop and a stainless steel slide.

13. cameraman

cameraman Loaded Pockets

Personally, I love my LCP. I bought it over the Kel-Tec after having fired a couple Kel-Tec P32s and P3ATs and not being particularly impressed (FTEs in both). Additionally, I think the fit, finish, and aesthetics on the Ruger are a little better if such things are important to you. Finally, both pistols will probably require a break-in of a hundred or more rounds before they are truly reliable - at least my LCP did.

That said, if you ask 12 gun-guys you'll get 13 opinions, so take that for what it's worth.

14. MrHanke

MrHanke Loaded Pockets

I think the LCP is better fit and finish, but the trigger on the P3AT is a lot smoother. I personally carry a Keltec PF9 everyday. So I may be a little partial. :)

15. Eyebedam

Eyebedam Loaded Pockets

LCP all the way

16. fire65

fire65 Loaded Pockets

Love my LCP, but it does have a very long trigger pull. Just took some getting used to.

17. wishbone

wishbone Empty Pockets

I'm not a huge fan of either, but definitely prefer the LCP over the keltec. I've fired both and the LCP has failed far less than the keltec. Half the keltecs I pick up in stores don't even seem to operate correctly. Which goes in line with my personal experience with other keltecs I've owned. I question their quality control these days. I will say that their customer service is awesome though, if that's any cancellation. Like a lot of people have said, the trigger pull takes some getting use to. I find it difficult to shoot the gun accurately, but that's just a matter of practice. That's the case with just about any DAO firearm imo. My preference in this size/caliber is the SIG 238. Thumb safety and great trigger since it's a SAO.

18. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

My LCP has about 600 rounds through it so far and has been perfectly reliable after a few failures to eject on the last round out of one of the magazines during the first 50 rounds. It isn't a fun little gun to shoot but it is small and light and works. I personally had horrible luck with KelTec handguns (every one that I owned experienced parts failures, reliability issues, you name it) and no longer own any.

19. mohctep

mohctep Empty Pockets

Sorry it took me so long to get back.Right out of the box,I shot 150 rds of various types of ammo through my Kel Tec P3AT, with zero problems.I carry it daily,and love it!

20. pjm106262

pjm106262 Loaded Pockets

I too will be in the market of one of these pocket .380 pistols. I have been wanting to buy the ruger lcp, and after reading this thread i still want to buy the ruger lcp. i am glad i found this thread.

i would like to hear more about that Diamondback DB380. it seems to be an affordable option. it appears to be the baby glock that glcok does not have.