1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by tglassburner, Jul 19, 2010.

?

Which should I get Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT?

1. Ruger LCP

63 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Kel-Tec P3AT

31 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. Other

17 vote(s)
    15.3%
  1. tglassburner

tglassburner Loaded Pockets

I am having trouble figuring out which to get. I have not seen much as far as someone owning both and saying "I like this one better because..."

Any of you have both please let me know?

Please let me know if you have either any problems or drawbacks.

Thanks Guys and Gals!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Firedrow

Firedrow Loaded Pockets

I don't know of anyone who owns both, but everyone I know who has the CCL carries the P3AT as their CCW.

3. tglassburner

Any idea why?

4. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

i have a p3at and have carried it for years. the ruger is a rip off by a company that helped bring you the AWB!

5. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

I carry the LCR as backup to my Glock 27 or 26 a lot.
    My guy at the gun shop...I asked him if he'd trust Ruger...he pulled out the LCP with the CT laser from his front pants pocket!
    He said he's shot about every gun that comes thru his shop...and he liked the LCP for his back up gun.

May be hard to find someone who -at the same time - owned both the little .380's. Do you have a range you can go and rent them? try them out side by side?

6. tglassburner

There is a range but they only have an LCP available. I have held both at the same time but not been able to shoot them.

7. 3fgburner

3fgburner Loaded Pockets

The Kel-Tec being a bit lighter, probably has a snappier recoil. I know that mine is definitely NOT what I'd call a "fun gun". I voted Kel-Tec because that's what I have. I didn't buy it for a fun-gun, I got it because a Kel-Tec in the pocket beats a 1911 in the drawer.

8. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

are you set on the Ruger and Kel-Tec, i could give you a few other options if you were interested

9. tglassburner

Feel free to suggest. That is why I put "Other" on the poll! I know I want a small "pocket" gun similar in size and weight to these though. I'm not dead set on either.

10. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

i fired one of the rugers that a buddy bought, it had numerous ftf and fte's and i didn't really like it. it was about as accurate as my p3at is though! you could try the Taurus version, but I've heard they have reliability issues as well!

11. tglassburner

Have you had any similar experiences with your P3AT?

12. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

no, although i had another one that my old partner just had to have and after he bought it he had no end of problems with it. it just didn't seem to like him! when i first got it it needed a throat polishing to be 100%. the one i have now is a first generation and has had several hundred round through it with no problems that weren't cheap ammo related, and not very many of those.

13. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

Micro Eagle made by IMI
    new company out of Florida called diamondback firearms they make a nice .380
    Sig Sauer P238

there you go :)

14. Firedrow

Firedrow Loaded Pockets

Most of them, no I don't know. My father did the research behind which gun he wanted, looked at comparisons, talked to the gun dealers in town, talked to forum people, and concluded the P3AT seemed the better gun. Not one to let the research go to waste, I followed suit since I found the gun comfortable to hold considering the small frame. Just wish I could get more ammo to practice with.

15. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

you can adapt [very easily] the bersa finger rest mag floor plates to work with p3at mags and they make a great difference when shooting.

16. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

17. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Second to the Sig 238. Its a near copy of the .380 I own and love, the Colt Mustang Pocketlite. The Colt is a GREAT gun if you can find and afford one. Either are way more shootable in my opinion than the Kel-Tec. They are both functionally identical to a standard 1911, with decent triggers and lower felt recoil. Also the lighter springs can make un/loading much easier for people with less hand strength.

18. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

Considering the money & weight, the LCP is a great EDC CC. The Sig P238 is a great gun, but considerably more money & weight.

19. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

This is very tru, just consider your options and buy what feels best

20. Patriot222

Patriot222 Empty Pockets

If it's only between these two pistols, I would lean strongly toward the LCP. I've carried and fired the P32 and P3AT now for about 6-7 years. They're solid guns and I've been overall pleased with them. About a year and a half ago I started shooting loaner LCPs and found that the accuracy and reliability were marginally better. I now have around 500 rounds through 6-8 different LCP's and there's very little that I don't appreciate about the fiream. The LCP is just a nicer finished pistol all around and has the addition of a slide stop. The injection moldings are superior and in many ways, it's probably the gun that the Kel-tec should have always been. Btw, I'm not a Ruger fan but I will extend credit where credit is due.

Regarding .380 reliability, all of the pocket .380's require several hundred break-in rounds as they all struggle when averaged across the board. A recent NRA magazine study stated this exact phenomenon that none of them were immune from occasional malfunctions, not even the Kahr and Sig. This isn't to say that some won't be trouble free, it just means that most of them won't be. With that stated, I've never personally had a malfunction occur when firing an LCP. I attribute this partially to luck, and the fact that I've fired ball ammo almost exclusively.

Although the Kahr and Sig are almost double the price, you might also consider the Diamondback DB380. I recently did a video review of the gun and am so far impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgBuUvdv-7E

Next video of this gun will be a 500 round continuously fired torture test, without a cool down period. I'll have people reloading four or five magazines for me as I pound away with this little gun. Hopefully it can do it.