1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Royal Caribbean Cruise?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Dave568, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Dave568

Dave568 BST/Marketplace ban

Has anyone here been on a cruise with Royal Caribbean? I'm going in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure out what I should or shouldn't bring with me for EDC. I'm interested in knowing things like their policy on knives, if they frisk you when you board the ship after a stop, etc. If anyone have any information that they think would be useful, I'd really appreciate it.

2. coloradogps

coloradogps Loaded Pockets

I have been on one.

Not sure about a knife policy, I sure you can't bring one though.

I would call here 800 number to be sure.

I would bring a small flashlight.

Enjoy!

3. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

It is always a good idea to call. I recently went on one to the Bahamas in July and brought a couple of knives with me. I packed them in my check in luggage and had no issues. I packed a Boker Trance, Emerson Raven and a ZT 300. They should allow them as long as you put them in checked luggage. I would call just for the official answer despite my experience.

4. matts2

matts2 Loaded Pockets

It partially depends on where you are going. Cruises sort of frown on passengers doing anything for themselves (tips, after all, are not included), but also let you get away with lots. Think repairing things more than living off the land. That is, bailing wire et. al. will do more than fishhooks.

5. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

From the http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf"]Royal Caribbean International Guest Conduct Policy[/url]:

I honestly believe that if you ask, they'll say it's prohibited. So.... don't ask.

If you don't make a big deal out of having it, and aren't using it recklessly, I doubt anyone will notice. When I went (pre-911), there were no metal detectors or frisking. It's supposed to be a luxurious vacation, so these things would be very frowned upon.

6. ChopperCFI

ChopperCFI Loaded Pockets

I went on Royal Caribbean back in June. They did x-ray my carry-on luggage but it didn't seem as thorough as the airport. We also had to go through a metal detector. In my checked luggage was a LM Wave, P4, Micra and BM Mini Grip. All were delivered without any problem.

7. bexteck

bexteck Empty Pockets

I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise a few years ago. There was security (metal detectors and x-ray machines) when boarding the ship after every stop. I brought a 3.5" kershaw folder and a leatherman in my checked luggage and wore the knife clipped to my pocket and the leatherman on my belt while on the ship. A few times when I got off the ship I had them on, and stuck them in my bag when I was going through security. Nobody ever said anything. I don't think they noticed when they x-rayed the bag though. They are probably more worried about guns and bombs.

So I don't know what the knife policy is, but never had any problems.

8. VVR41TH

VVR41TH Empty Pockets

I went on one last summer--their knife policy is 3". As for firearms, et al, I'd say no. Security's gotten a lot tighter... metal detector walk-through, and x-raying all your bags, on every reboarding; nothing but a "check out" when you leave the ship to head to port.

9. Rah14

Rah14 Empty Pockets

Bring a big bottle of Purell hand sanitizer gel. I know some cruise ships have the dispensers on the walls now in public areas, but still wouldn't hurt to be extra cautious about preventing stomach illness. Also, bring some hand lotion since your hands will be dry from this.

10. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

no help here, except to say have fun! you seriously eat 4 huge meals a day (including the "midnight buffet"), and its good food. got my rare steak right even when feeding 500-2000 people at a time! remember you can order 2 entrees - get both a seafood and meat! heh. drinking, shows, gambling, shore visits, shopping, sunning and swimming, and eating eating eating...

:drool:

11. David Blinder

David Blinder Empty Pockets

I was on a RCL cruise in the Caribbean 7/07 and had a dispute regarding pocket knives when boarding at one of the ports. They confiscated a Spyderco Delica but returned it at the end of the cruise. Interestingly, they had no problem with a Leatherman I also had, despite it's 4" blade vs. the 2 7/8" on the Delica. After returning, I provided various documentation referencing admiralty laws, regulations of what constitutes a utility pocket knife on federal property, in the State of FL (their headquarters), etc. and was told that their duty was to the protection of the passengers. Guess all those steak knives have magic dust on them that prevents penetration. In any event, I suspect you wouldn't have trouble if packed in your suitcase and carried discretely on ship but with their metal detectors, I wouldn't plan on keeping it if you disembark at the ports.

12. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

We did a Princess cruise to Mexico and I had no problem with my SAK Yeoman when reboading from a port-of-call. They did give my AMK Survival and First Aid pouches a funny look though :rolleyes:

13. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Good stuff to know here... might be taking a cruise in the relatively near future and I was wondering about sharps.

Sounds like (more-or-less) anything that looks like a SAK or Leatherman doesn't get much of a second glance.