1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Romanian Knife Laws

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Trickster, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

Hey there,

since I'm going to Bucharest for a few days in my next holiday I tried to find out what the laws say about EDC knives... But my google-fu seems to be weak.

Does anybody know the romanian knife laws? What are you allowed to carry?

2. lgflorin

lgflorin Loaded Pockets

Do not worry you can carry anything.More dangerous are pickpockets in the crowd.EDC gear is expensive or hard to find over there so watch out for any flashlight,multi-tool or expensive knife you have with you.Never leave your laptop, tablet or smart phone in the car or hotel room.PM if you need more details.

3. schwibsi

schwibsi Loaded Pockets

I was just about to say: ever been to Eastern Europe?
    There are no rules! Just bring enough cash to bribe your way out of any situation you might get in.
    Double check whenever you exchange money and always always always wear a rubber.
    The girls there are incredibly hot and willing, but STDs are quite common. I spent a weekend in Moldova with a customer, which is right next to Romania, same language and all, and know a lot of people from there.
    Also, learn at least a few words of Russian. English will in all likeliness not help you at all.
    That was the first time in my life, that I was drinking with 5 people from 5 different countries, all of whom I had no common language with, and I do speak, German, English, Spanish, Italian, French and some Farsi. Very weird feeling indeed.
    Oh, and don't bring a knife there. You won't need one, and if you get into any trouble, buy your way out. They will outnumber you and be better armed and more experienced.

4. jim from california

jim from california Loaded Pockets

know where your countries embassy is!!!and how to get there if you get in a jam...i would not carry an expensive folder,just in case it gets lost or stolen...

5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

6. T0shis

T0shis Loaded Pockets

Outch... While writing this post I was looking over my shoulder to the guys and girls I work with...
    Nothing in-common here, in Baltic States, although we are also called Eastern Europe. Maybe you met wrong people...?

sveqs likes this.
  7. nicktodorov

nicktodorov Loaded Pockets

I don't live exactly in Romania, but right next to it.
    And I cannot agree on everything that was written.
    Yes, it is quite different than what you are used to, but most of the people living in Eastern Europe are not such primitive and dangerous primates.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

sveqs and schwibsi like this.
  8. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

I live in Romania, Bucharest actually, and you are not allowed to carry any knife, says the law (the fact that many do not respect this is another thing entirely).Well, except for those who have the legal right to carry one-meaning those with an authorization issued by the Romanian police-as far as I know that can also be the firearm permit..And if you carry a gun you need a valid firearm permit issued by the police.If it makes you feel any better I think you have the right to carry a pepper spray or stun gun without any particular paperwork (as I do sometimes) or a multitool as those are not knives in themselves.Almost forgot-knuckles are not allowed either.The law is pretty vague-"the carrying of a stabbing/slashing or blunt force object in a public place designed for gathering, entertainment or means of public transportation without permission is sanctioned with a prison sentence or a fine".

9. schwibsi

schwibsi Loaded Pockets

From what I hear, Lithuania is quite different from other Eastern European countries and the further East you go, the more "interesting" things get.
    Mind you that Moldova is the country that even Romania chose not to unify with in their referendum. And that already says something.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash Eastern Europe at all. I find the humour, most people there have, a lot more robust and entertaining than people here (bavarian forest) would have.

But coming from a quiet little town in Bavaria, where the school considered itself advanced because now protestant children can attend school along with the catholic ones (for protestant Religious Education they're transferred to another school), there is quite a bit of cultural shock.

Oh, and I didn't mean to call anyone primitive, dangerous or imply they were on a lower level of evolution. It's just that in my experience, the things I've seen here and there differ quite a bit. I'm aware stereotyping is not a nice thing to do, but how else will you share experiences.

When I see an unshaven, guy 6' 5" with tattoos all over, with a bottle of beer in one hand (not illegal in Germany) a cigarette in his other, speaking russian and approaching me in the street, I'll keep my son on away from him.... I have nothing against russian guy, tall guys, beards, tattoos, beer or cigarettes, but my experience has shown that this is a potentially dangerous combination.

nicktodorov likes this.
  10. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

I had the opportunity to train some Lithuanians a few years a go, great guys, great place. If things ever got ugly with Russia, I would move them all to Michigan, like we did with the hill tribes.

Also spent time in moldovia, Ukraine, and Kazakhstan - bit rougher around the edges.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2