1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

robina raven alum cane

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by redhawk44357, Jan 28, 2012.

1. redhawk44357

redhawk44357 Loaded Pockets

Am considering this as a replacement to my wooden canes which i use on a daily basis. For SD it has its advantages. Before i send the bucks, would there be a problem as far as LEO's would be concerned that i havent thought of? Do you think it looks more like a weapon than a disabled persons aid?

2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Have any links? I tried googling up "robina raven alum cane" and got nothin' about canes

3. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

4. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I have walked with a cane or a crutch for much of the last 20 years. Right now I use a steel forearm crutch that has ice spikes on the bottom. I've never been bothered by a policeman for carrying a metal stick. They look on the disabled as weak and vulnerable and not as a threat. If a policeman wants me to exit my vehicle, I'll probably not get out with the stick in hand though. That would be a good way to scare a cop, and scaring a cop is a good way to get shot.

5. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Redhawk, just looking at the weblink that MPI provided I had a couple of thoughts:

1) Where do you live? I ask only because the aluminum cane may be cold to carry without wearing gloves in the Winter time.

2) I noted the point on the tip of the crook: this is similar to the Canemasters' canes, which have been for sale a long time without any major notice. The point, however, does make an effective impact weapon (which is essentially what the cane is) even more effective.

3) As a former LEO I don't think I -- or actively serving LEOs -- would differentiate between carrying a wooden cane or an aluminum one. You noted that you use wood canes now ... has a LEO ever questioned you about them?

4) Whether you actually need to use a cane for balance and/or mobility (or for self-defense, or even as a style statement), the presumption is that you need the cane for some type of physical condition. Due to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) no sane LEO would go out of his or her way to question you about your choice of said mobility/balance aid in the absence of some specific reason.

5) Canes are one of the few effective self defense tools that can be taken pretty much everywhere, to include courthouses, airlines, and similar places where other self defense tools would not be permitted (I too use a cane and have been to those locations as well as other high security areas with no problem).

6) If you haven't viewed Michael Janich's DVD, MARTIAL CANE CONCEPTS - A Realistic System of Walking Stick Self Defense (approx. cost $25-$30) he has some excellent, practical tips on cane self-defense.

All of that being said the Robina aluminum cane seems expensive, especially in comparison to wooden ones that are probably just as light. For example, I use a oak crook cane sold by a company called Invacare (they make and sell a lot of different kinds of medical devices). The cane cost less than $20. I picked up an additional cane made by the same company on eBay for $13, shipping included. I'l grant you that it does not have the actually quite cool grips surfaces (man, I like those) or the tip point that the Robina has. But, I have used that second cane for months at a nearby Korean Mixed Martial Arts dojang where I take cane self-defense classes and I have pounded on manikins and training targets extensively. That $13 cane is still going strong.

Long story short: the aluminum cane seems like a lot of money to me, but it appears well made. I don't see it as a problem versus carrying a wooden one. It's your money, so if you like the aluminum version then go for it.

6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

+1 ^ What he/she said.

7. TallNHairyDave

TallNHairyDave Loaded Pockets

Nice looking cane! Shame it's too short for me (6'7" tall) for the occasions when my knee is playing up. Plus getting it from the US to the UK would add on a big chunk of money once you add shipping, import taxes and handling fees on top.

Oh well, guess I'll stick with my existing wooden crook when I find I have to use one (and my hiking pole for countryside walking).

Shame you guys get all the fun toys your side of the big pond!

8. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I did have a client who was repeatedly questioned about his mobility aid. He'd caught shrapnel in his hip in WW2. He used an electric cattle prod as a cane. Tried to carry it past the metal detectors at the courthouse on more than one occasion. He was an interesting character.

9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

^Nice! Cool old guy, I bet.

10. redhawk44357

Great replies, thanks all!! I should clarify that I am 62 diabetic with diagnosed periferal neuropathy in both feet. Along with a trick knee from a work related accident, it has become aparent that the cane has become a part of my life from now on. The cane i use now is a drug store cane made from ash (think : baseball bat ) and seems quite solid. Since I have to travel to New Orleans there is a definately need to be vigilant and armed , crime rate there has gone through the roof. Again thanks, much food for thought.

11. Cobra 6 Actual

Good luck and stay safe, Redhawk ... also consider taking a cane self-defense course: definitely worth the effort and cost.

Just noticed on Amazon.com that the Invacare canes are now two for $15.00 ... I might have to get a set as back-ups or maybe even to fool around with trying modifications, such as making the tip point that the Canemasters and Robina canes have.

12. redhawk44357

Thanks Cobra, was concidering the robina for sure, but have decided to keep will old fashion wood, esp. since i got my M26. (see other thread)

13. Cobra 6 Actual

Yeah, Redhawk, that Robina's just a lot of money for only a little in improved functionality. Sounds like you're making a good choice.

14. jim from california

jim from california Loaded Pockets

pretty cool,want one myself....got my cousin a cold steel blackthorn,he was in a serious car accident,walks with a limp,perfect for him...

15. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I have the Cold Steel blackthorn and have used it as a cane on numerous occasions. It will chip, however, especially at the ball. It chips if it falls on the floor. I have never been entirely sure that it would not seriously develop some real deflection should it be used as a weapon or in practice against another cane. Based on my experience, I don't think that I could recommend one to a friend. Or anyone else, for that matter. But it would be better than nothing.

16. jim from california

jim from california Loaded Pockets

my cousin has had it for over two years,still works well,no issues...

17. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

Here's my cane of choice from Fashionable Canes. I have the right handed version and it unobtrusive but could mess up some ones day if need be.

[​IMG]

SAKplumber likes this.
  18. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I think Robina has a second version out now and has had for some time. The original cane that they were selling was actually designed by TDI in Ohio and is now being sold by Kabar. I think I paid about $70 for mine. I have one and it is a very nice cane. I have a nice piece from Fashionable Canes for dressier occasions, along with a couple of Cold Steel City Sticks (one with the ball head and one with the discontinued piston grip, which I find much more comfortable to use as a cane).