1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rivet question

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Smith28, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Fabregas kicks :censored:!

Something ELSE to consider: when you put pressure on the handles of that new rivet gun, it's gonna squeeze those keys together, tighter'n a bullfrog's butt on a popsicle stick.

Rotating the riveted keys apart?
    Nah. Not so much. Fuggedaboutit.

Another trip to the nearest hardware store.....getcha some tiny brass washers that'll fit *semi-loosely* over the rivets, between the keys.

*semi-loosely*, because that rivet 'tube is gonna swell a little,when the two parts get squoze together.

The brass washers will allow the keys to rotate, but will last several lifetimes.

kertap75 likes this.
  2. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

No problemo vegas!

Hmmmm.. I was going to use some aluminium washers purely because that's what I have of the correct size, surely they'll work or work you say it has to be brass? Obviously brass would last longer, but I only need it to last one lifetime. :)

3. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Dunno.
    Have never tried aluminum, in a 'friction / pivot' role.

Try 'em...let us know!
    I'm a strong believer in 'run whatcha brung!'

4. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Will do. Think I'll polish them up good and proper and they should be fine. Will post pics when it's done.

Gnarly and vegassprky like this.
  5. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

The only thing I will say is that it WILL be pulled tight. Even with the washers, it will be stiff. If possible, put some wd40 or some other oil based liquid on the washers. This will purely make opening it the first few times a little easier.

6. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Aye, I'm going to lube it up well, hopefully it'll loosen with time a little. I had all these complicated plans of putting little slivers of ice between the pieces that would leave gaps then melt away, but really, I do have a life so I decided that was going a bit too far. :oops:

I'm sure with a little bit of persuasion it will be ok. We shall see!

7. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

The idea behind ice is a good one, but the pressure from the rivets would simply shatter the ice. If you want to leave small gaps, get a can (Sode/Coke etc) and make a sort of fork. you can then put it between the washer and key, rivet, then pull it out.

Smith28 likes this.