1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rivet question

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Smith28, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

So I'm looking to do the ultra minimalist key modification but am unsure on one point.
    Basically I would want a split ring though the holes of the keys so I could have them on a keychain and never having used pop rivets before I'm not sure whether you are left with a hollow tube or whether it is filled with the pin of metal that's left over.

Simple question to answer if you know, but I don't! Hope someone can help me.

Cheers. :)

2. kevinwho

kevinwho Loaded Pockets

Hey , with standard pop rivets there is no hole , as you said it is filled with the remains of the pin

3. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Bugger. :cry: Thanks mate.

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

There's a nice picture of how pop rivets work towards the bottom of this page.

If you're wanting a hole through the fastener, some Chicago screws are hollow in the middle. Alternately, you could use a D-shackle or bow shackle to achieve similar results if you intend to use the split ring for leverage.

Check out the first link in my signature line for more ideas.

5. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

jag-engr beat me to it!
    He is our Resident Keyring Guru, and he has rightfully EARNED that title thru research.

6. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm not going to be able to get as compact as the rivet idea. Sad times.

Edit, Hang on!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've just figured it out.....

Surely the hollow version of a pop rivet, is an eyelet. ??

:frantic:

7. Cobra 6 Actual
    • +1 Supporter

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

8. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Just to document my progress with this, have found that pretty much no one makes eyelets with a long enough barrel to go through the keys (I have 3 regular width Yale type keys) and then have enough length to fold back down and secure in place.

I've contacted a couple of companies to see if they can do something for me. What a mission.

9. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

How about simply shortening a tube (brass, aluminium, …) with fitting diameter and flaring the ends?

10. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Last edited by vegassprky, Oct 3, 2012
  11. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I saw brass bushings at TSC last time I was there. Seem like they would work for what you want. A brass tube with one end already flattened for you. Just cut to size, put your keys on, and flare the end so they won't come off

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

12. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

I get what you guys are saying, but I can neither find any such items lying around, nor have I been able to find any good options in the UK. I think one problem is the specific dimensions I'm after and the fact that a lot of the time you can't buy this stuff in TINY amounts like I need.

Nevertheless, thank you for all the interesting ideas, 'tis appreciated.

I don't really see any point in reinventing the wheel, when eyelets are pretty much what I would be trying to replicate. I'm not going to devote lots of research (and £££) in other Heath Robinson options until I've exhausted that route, if that time comes then I'll happily get the drawing board out. If you see what I mean. :confused:

13. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Just curious, but why do you need the hole in the middle?

Edit, if you don't, I could possibly send you some rivets. We use them every day, and have different sizes in, to save you buying a whole box!

14. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

The pin remaining in the centre of a pop rivet can easily be tapped out with the snapped off bit of pin

15. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

I want to be able to put a split ring through them so I can still keep them on a keychain. I've never actually used rivets before but I think they naturally wouldn't work with a keychain. Thanks for the offer man, I may PM you and see what you can do, of course I would reimburse you for your trouble.
    Really? Wouldn't that mean the rivet would come apart? If not, then that would be brilliant.

16. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

No reimbursement needed, I'll just bung some in the post, but the hole won't take a split ring, it's probably less than 1mm wide.

The rivets don't come apart. The steel 'tail' has a domed head, which pulls and squashes the aluminium rivet I to place, and then the tail snaps, leaving he Ali squashed into position. The domed end of the tail is then redundant and left in, but as said, can be tapped out :)

17. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

Smith I have a solution for you, but it requires drilling a new hole in 1 of your keys. If you drill a hole 10mm or so under the current hole and them rivet all the keys, plus the key with the hole you just drilled. This will give you the effect of 1 keys riding higher than the others so that a split ring can be attached. If I need to I will draw it.

EDIT: Thought I would draw it anyway. The red key is the one with the new hole, so rides higher.
    [​IMG]

Gnarly and TECENG like this.
  18. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

What about steel brake line? Its sold buy the foot at auto parts store, and they'll also have the flaring tool.

ac7ss likes this.
  19. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Shmook that is very kind, but from the second part of your post, I think my problem has been solved! So basically, it's like an eyelet, just with that redundant piece left in - that is however removable. Perfect!

I now have a rivet gun with assorted rivets in the post as well as a Draper set of 4 files on their way to me. I'll dig the hack saw out and find some washers and soon I should have a finished product!

Thanks for all the great ideas, especially Fabregas, what a coincidence, I was actually thinking of pretty much that exact same thought today, still an option if I need a separate hole for rotation and split ring.

20. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Pics when done please?