1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ripcord tourniquete - any opinions?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Mark9117, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

2. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

My opinion is very clear, the market is beeing flooded with tourniquets, its a fast expanding market. Very few of the new tq's have any avaliable data, stick to what we know works. Read the studies and recomendations of experts, instead of buying on the basis of advertising and "fastest bla bla" anekdotes. My opinion is and will continiue to be CAT or SOF (w) until someone provides substantial evidence that another design works better, in terms of not just speed, but also mortality, ergos, safety etc. In my opinion, no one has been even close yet.

3. sselva

sselva Empty Pockets

i agree with you about SOF and CAT (may be swat tourniquet too, but i had onet), and be carreful because there are many "fake" CAT or SOF available on the web.

4. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I've been trained on the CAT, the SOFTT-W, and the SAM XT. Instructors I trust all agree: the CAT is better for self-aid than the SOFTT-W, which in turn is better for buddy-aid. I really like the SAM XT but I won't carry it until CoTCCC weighs in.

The SWAT-T isn't great. During live testing (with no casualties or blood) they tend to break before full occlusion occurs. Despite the additional bulk I've taken the SWAT-T out of my laptop bag kit and replaced it with a CAT.

5. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

In my day it was a belt or latex rubber hose in the kit.

6. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

One consideration is could you have a need to treat a child. According to Doom and Bloom, CATs are not certified for use in a child

7. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

True, I'd imagine the base plate is too big on a CAT to go around a childs arm. Possible on a leg but only an older child.
    I can't speak for the SOF-T because I haven't handled it but it seems to be a similar size so probably runs into the same problem.

Only one I'd use on a child, given the choice, would be the RATS. IMO the SWAT would be too fiddly on that small a limb.
    That said, if all I had was a CAT, I'd give it a :censored: good go

8. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

That is a myth. CAT can be used as a pediatric tourniquet and works very well. The myth has been debunked by DOD. The problem is the other way around, the larger the limb, the higher faliure rate. Dont forget kids require only half the tq pressure compared to adults. Often direct pressure and compression bandage like the olaes is more than enough. kids tissue is also softer and even their arterial wall is softer compared to adults.
    https://www.crisis-medicine.com/do-commercially-available-tourniquets-work-on-kids/
    The Cotccc approved touniquets are certified and TQ used on pediatrics is included in Pediatric Tactical Emergency Casualty Care
    http://www.c-tecc.org/images/content/FINAL_V.1.0_Pediatric_Guidelines.pdf

Survey of Trauma Registry Data on Tourniquet Use in Pediatric War Casualties
    http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a616969.pdf
    "The survival rate of the present study’s casualties is
    similar to that of 3 recent large nonpediatric-specific studies. Although
    current emergency tourniquets were ostensibly designed for modern
    adult soldiers, tourniquet makers, perhaps unknowingly, produced tour-
    niquets that fit children."

93% Survival Rate!

And dont forget RAT is not approved by anyone what so ever and certainly not certified for pediatric use ;)

Last edited by thekapow, Sep 18, 2018
    #8 thekapow, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  9. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Ah, I wasn't aware of that, thank you. I thought that the baseplate on the CAT was too long to get enough pressure