1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ridiculously high lumen flashlight?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by KAMM, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Garland

Garland Loaded Pockets

I bought a Fenix TK40 a couple years ago and don't think I've ever used it after initially testing it. I think it is 600 or 700 lumens. If I ever need a searchlight to find a missing cat at night it will be what I grab, otherwise the 200 lumen variety is more than enough for me and I rarely even need that much.

2. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I have several lights that are well north of 250 lumens but rarely do I carry any of them. I have found that if it isn't a single cell light it doesn't fit into my daily carry very well. I do have a Jetbeam PC-10 with a RCR123 that is 550 lumens that gets pocket time. The only two cell light I carry is a Surefire E2D with a Steve Ku 500 lumen single mode E2S head. It gets out and about fairly regularly.

3. maddawg918

maddawg918 Loaded Pockets

I have the TM 11, it's what I grab when I go outside to check on the animals. Thing is sick!

Gnarly likes this.
  4. David L. Holt

David L. Holt Loaded Pockets

I just picked up the EagleTac D25LC2 Clicky, CPF showed it at 500+ Lumens OTF, with a 2 hour runtime to 50% on Turbo. I can tell you that the reflection off my hand leaves spots in my eyes. I LOVE it! I even back-pocket carry (with a FourSevens Quark Deep Carry Clip) and it works great. Highly recommend the D25 Clicky line.

Blair likes this.
  5. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

This is not scientific, it's just shots with an iPhone 4 camera with all automatic settings enabled. Still, it gives you an idea of what the Nitecore TM is capable of.

Control shot, my backyard
    [​IMG]

No light :)
    [​IMG]

Haiku 200 lumens
    [​IMG]

Nitecore on Turbo (2000 lumens)
    [​IMG]

The Haiku is actually much brighter than in the picture. But, the TM is much brighter, too. As in car headlight bright.

Last edited by Six String, Aug 15, 2012
    maddawg918 likes this.
  6. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

That Nitecore TM11 "Tiny Monster" certainly gives a crapload of lumens for the money. :eek:

Gnarly and Six String like this.
  7. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

Yeah, to the eye, the Haiku looks about like the TM picture. So, you can imagine what the TM looks like. It's easily as bright as a car headlight.

Gnarly likes this.
  8. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I'm with the others that think 100lms is more than enough. It's really amazing how good your night vision is if you just let your eyes adapt to the darkness (dilate) and don't blow it out with too high a level. I personally use 0.3/3/20 lumens as my normal L/M/H and love being able to run my EDC 1xAA light continuously while camping (or during a blackout) without much concern about batteries.

Even aside from the battery savings (did I mention that I hate charging, changing and tracking batteries?), I like dim light because it gives me the greatest awareness of the other 280 degrees outside of my beam. High lumens are like wearing headphones to me - sure the music clarity and definition can be great, but you don't have clue what's going on around you otherwise. Dim light is more like having background music - you get the rhythm and lyrics, but you are also completely aware of what else is going on around you. Maybe it's just that I'm a camper, and ironically, I guess I like dim light because I'm afraid of the dark?

Also, high lumens are a great example of the laws of diminishing returns since our perception of brightness is subject to the square root of a lumen increase. So 400 lumens appears only twice as bright as 100 lumens, but requires ~ 4x the battery power to achieve, or will have ~ 1/4th the runtime. The power necessary to achieve high lumens requires larger lights, specialized batteries, spare batteries, etc that starts killing their EDC-ability/backup-ability (ie, Li-ions). The only good light is one you have with you.

Just my $0.02

Take2 likes this.
  9. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

Surefire Fury, 500 lumen high, 15 lumen low, i carry one on my job, it has yet to not "dazzle" anyone i show it too.[​IMG][​IMG]

10. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

It sure dazzles me! ;)

Tango 191 likes this.
  11. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

I carrry a Sunwayman V10R Ti+ with an RCR123. Capable of 500 lumens but I very rarely use it that high. I also have a Maaelstrom S18 that rarely leave the house. I believe that one is rated at 1200 OTF. I used to think that was impressive until i got my Olight X6 Marauder last week.....This thing is absolutely ridiculous!!! 5000 lumens aint no joke!

KAMM likes this.
  12. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Oh, I agree completely, I use only as much light as needed, and let my eyes do what they do well. (Well, pretty well, I'm getting older these days!) But I also like to have the option of more light and/or longer range when needed.

My current carry light is a Sunwayman V11R, with the infinitely-adjustable brightness ring. I rarely use more than the bottom third of the range, but the few times I've needed more, it was good have it!

13. scaru

scaru Loaded Pockets

Well, if you want ridiculously bright, then look no further than a modded TR-J12. It's estimated to be over 4000 lumens. :)
    http://budgetlightforum.com/node/11550 (Not my light, but I am doing the same thing)

14. bud760
    • In Omnia Paratus

bud760 Loaded Pockets

Another TM11 owner here. It's great for blinding possums and skunks in the backyard at night.
    [​IMG]

maddawg918, Gnarly and SAKplumber like this.
  15. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

Good choice! Great light ain't it?

I got two of'um and really like the design! I'm keeping one of'um OEM, since this one has a nice tint (which is presenty on a plane returning to the Heat of the Sonoran Desert after it took a quick vacation up in the UK). The other is also presently on a plane (for the second time ... lol) after it was modded by Wayne aka Vinh in the Pacific Northwest who installed a XP-G2 using the OEM low/high driver, but utilizing an AW17670.

After I play some catch up, I'll be on the look out for another Fury which will be flown again to the Pacific Northwest so Wayne can Hot Rod this one with an single mode driver paired with a copper PCB board and a XM-L U2, utilizing an AW17670. We were going to initially bore it to 18mm, but the body doesn't have enough meat on it, so AW17670 gotta do!

One light I can't wait for it to make it's way to us is the 500 lumen, TIR optic LX2 Ultra! I hope it turns out to be a great light!

Last edited by azpops, Aug 20, 2012
  16. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

let me know how it turns out! I would like to see some pics of the final outcome.

17. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

Not sure if you have a TIR optic Surefire e.g. E1b, LX2, etc. If you did I could give you a comparison. So what I'll do (although I'm terrible taking photos) is take a few photos with the OEM fury and the Fury with the XP-G2 mod. The OEM Fury should be here by early next week sometime, so when it does I'll post what I came up with! ... lol

However, a week or so ago Wayne sent me a link to Lightjunction that they were taking pre-order's for the ArmyTek Predator with the XP-G2. I called Lightjunction to verify/confirm (just checking kind of thing) that the XP-G2 listed had the OP/Textured reflector. They told me that it's presently in-stock, but only available in the "Smooth Reflector". I then emailed ArmyTek direct, and they responded that I could order the light with the OP/Textured reflector directly from them.

As far as the Fury, I'm extremely happy with the XP-G2. This Fury throws really well with a nice tight beam. Wayne did a great job as usual!

Last edited by azpops, Aug 26, 2012
  18. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

The one light I own that is NOT for sale is the TM 11.

If some is good, more is better.

Moonlight mode, my a:censored:.

And if it's too loud, you're TOO OLD.

Blair likes this.
  19. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I have a ThruNite TN11 which is attached to my work bag (a Maxpedition Sitka). It has been used as a search light (I work on a psychiatric medium secure unit) on one or two occasions (mainly room/area searches for contraband etc). It puts out 830 odd lumens on 2 x 18650 cells, but I usually use it with a singe cell (600ish???). The lack of a proper low means I use a Quark 123^2 tactical as my work edc light, but the throw and subsequent spill of the TN11 is mindblowing.

Blair, KAMM and Gnarly like this.
  20. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

Nice username/job combination!

Tango 191 and ProjeKtWEREWOLF like this.