1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ridiculously high lumen flashlight?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by KAMM, Aug 12, 2012.

1. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Do any of you EDCers carry or own a really high lumen flashlight? I've been thinking of putting a couple on "the short list" for my next flashlight purchase. This would probably be used for emergencies. Needing a really bright light for power outages and such.

If you do own a high lumen flashlight, what brand, how is it and why do you have it?

Thanks folks!

Edit: over 250 lumens!

SAKplumber likes this.
  2. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:confused: What's your definition of high? I own a couple 200 lumen lights and that's more than enough to light up an entire room during power outages here. I use larger and higher OTF lights for SAR work, though. For every day stuff and power outages, I stick to smaller lights that I don't mind carrying around and use "regular" sized batteries that I know I'll always have handy. I'll also always have a couple sets of charged Eneloops around in case + solar chargers for them if I really need them (It's mostly for camping, but if anything like the 3-day, unexected San Diego power outage occurs, it'll be nice to have.).

Also, I think "maxiumum" output also depends on what kind of batteries you're looking into using, how many, and how large of a light you're willing to carry. There are different types of LEDs and all that junk that goes into play as well.

(edited to add) Another thing to think about is how long those batteries would last. High OTF usually will drain your batteries quickly. For the last power outage I had a couple days ago, it was nice to know that my little Sipik worked off of only a single AA, lit up my entire living room + kitchen area, and was able to stay on for extended periods of time (I'm talking for a couple hours straight) without getting hot. The Sipik gets pointed at the ceiling to light up the room since it doesn't have the "candlelight" option that the Maglites do.

TBH, the Fenix E01 and Photon Freedom I had was good enough if not perfect for all other jobs around the house during those blackout days. Using a high lumen light for any small job in the dark would have hurt my eyes if shined directly toward whatever I was doing. I try to use high lumen output lights for lighting up larger areas (like a room or backyard) and keep smaller lights around for everything else (5-10 lumens for reading, up to 20 or so lumens for tasks).

3. tgunderson
    • In Omnia Paratus

tgunderson Loaded Pockets

I prefer to carry flashlights that either use AA or AAA batteries because the batteries are cheaper and more common to find. I never feel I NEED a highly powered flashlight most of the time so I don't edc one. I just carry a streamlight microstream in my pocket along with a 4sevens Preon 2 in my bag. I also carry a headlamp in my bag, but it's nothing special. If I started using cr123's the lumen output would greatly increase without the added bulk of a bigger flashlight for the most part, but like I said, I like more common batteries like AA and AAA.

Ludwell01 and mooshisho like this.
  4. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

How bright is rediculous? Often the VERY bright EDC ones don't have moonlight or very low-lows which is a problem with the smaller 550-700mah batteries.

For me a bezel wider than about 1" and 5" long gets noticeable in the pocket. At 1.25-1.5" wide it becomes more of a coat pocket. This size light though often can take a 18650 lithium which has 3-4 more capacity than a 123 sized battery. You could run a 600ish lumen light for over an hr instead of 20-30 mins.

A Zebralight SC600 is more flood than throw but has a moonlight mode and a high turbo. It's pretty compact for an 18650 battery light but I think Eagletac might have a slimmer option. If you want more throw than flood an xp-g or xr-e single cell light is smaller with more reasonable runtime.

With the exception of searching a field (throw) or running through a yard (bright flood) medium and lower modes will run cooler and much longer during a power outage. If you need about 200 lumens and a mix of throw/flood the world is your oyster. It's quite attainable with today's tech. Especially with more conventional batteries like rechargable AA's and Energizer disposable lithiums.

Edited: added note about conventional batteries thx to Moosh :). Great for those power outages!

KAMM and mooshisho like this.
  5. Jaiofspam

Jaiofspam Loaded Pockets

hmmm i have a couple, i rarely carry them anymore to be honest as over the course of the year ive realized UI, runtime, carryability is more important than actual lumen/lux count. with that being said, the thrunite scorpion v2 with turbo head is a crazy bright thrower and still pocketable in my 5.11 cargo slanted rear pockets. its about 750+- lumens with a nice hot spot with the turbo head. love the UI as well, even has quick access to its moonlight mode :)

heres a video several months back on a few of my lights. ive added a few more to my collection since then. if we ever get that norcal/bay area meet together youre welcome to fondle/molest them.

edit: hmm over 250 lumens? are you looking to achieve that with conventional over the counter batteries or lithium rechargeables? hmmm still might be quite a bit of draw for even 2xAA alkalines... i would suggest using eneloops to prevent leaks if youre leaning towards 2xAA options.

i would recommend the d25a2 clicky for an emergency and as a general edc light. youll have your over 250 lumen rating + the ability to use regular ol' AA batteries in a bind instead of eneloops.

if youre aware of the care/responsibility and inherit dangers of using lithium rechargeable batteries... theres a whole myriad of options for super bright lights. if youre on a budget, i recommend the trustfire tr3t6 for a very bright (1500+- lumens... debateable) triple xml "wall of light" casting runtime champ with excellent heat sinking. they can be had on the bay for under $50shipped and can be run on 2-3 18650's or 4AA batteries in a pinch on low.

Last edited by Jaiofspam, Aug 12, 2012
    MangeD700 likes this.
  6. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Ooh! One more thing thing to add. :) Depending on if it's a dedicated light for a particular task or for multiple ones, it's nice to have different modes too. My Maglite XL200 is really great in that it's got 5 different modes (easily scrolled through) and has an adjustable brightness. I think it ranges somewhere around 10 to 180 lumens or so. The Eneloops provide more power/brightness as well. The adjustable capability of that light is great since I can get the exact amount of light I needed rather than stuck with a programmed low/medium/high setting.

SAKplumber and KAMM like this.
  7. aphid

aphid Loaded Pockets

I do not own one but, the Nitecore Tiny Monster TM 11 puts out 2000 lumens on high!

bud760 and KAMM like this.
  8. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Teehee! I'd love to fondle your lights!!! We seriously need to put that together. :)

SAKplumber likes this.
  9. jnsn

jnsn Loaded Pockets

check out the ultrafire c8 xml, i got one with 2 18650s and a charger for 23 shipped off the bay. extremely bright

KAMM likes this.
  10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is what I carry at work, KAMM. The Zebralight H600w. Very bright easy to adjust between the many settings. Starts on low:) I also use a rechargable 18650. Ees vedy bright!

EDITTED TO ADD: Perhaps it is this one...I don't recall. But I thought mine was 720 Lm on high.

Last edited by SAKplumber, Aug 12, 2012
    Kripto, Mumbojumboo and KAMM like this.
  11. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Is your's neutral or cool white tinted SAK? That's the small lumen difference.

Either way the tint is noticeable to the human eye, 50-100 lumens not so much.

12. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I'm not sure...I've never seen them next to each other. Don't know what the sight difference is. I'll go look for the box.

13. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

We use the Fenix TK40 for our around the house light. It uses 8 AA's and has four output levels ranging from 36 to 630 lumens. Great light.

Jeff

14. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I have a few Solarforce bodies with XML and SST-90s that are in the 300-500 lumen range. I've got a no-name triple XML that claims 2000, but 1000 may be real. My Fenix TK-30 is 630 lumens. FInally I have a 2D maglite the ROP high bulb. It runs on 7 envelops for 8.4volts. which should give it right around 1000lumens. It will melt plastic shopping bags from 18" away.

SAKplumber, Blerv and KAMM like this.
  15. Racer

Racer Loaded Pockets

Just about every 123 sized light that takes a 3.7v battery will put out the kind of lumens you are talking about. So will the AA lights that take 14500's.

Here's a link to one of Selfbuilt's reviews that shows his lumen chart:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?338090-Sunwayman-M11R-(XM-L-1xCR123A-RCR)-Review-RUNTIMES-VIDEO-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!

I have a Thrunite Neutron 1C that shows 480 lumens on that chart! It's pure flood though. It's also my camping lantern with a diffuser.

So pretty much any light running 3.7v cells are going to put out those kinds of lumens with an XP-G or XM-L emitter. I think my Olight I3 even puts out >200 lumens with a 10440, though it would probably melt after about 5 minutes. It's too hot to hold after just a couple minutes.

One high output light that I really like is a BA10 with a 14500 in it. I'll take it in the woods and when the 14500 goes dead I'll just drop an AA Eneloop in it. So with that light I can choose between high output and common chemistry.

16. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

A long, long time ago when I was in grade school they tried to warn all the kids about the evils of drugs by saying that a drug dealer would get you hooked by saying, "Go ahead and try it. The first one's free!"

The first flashlight ain't even free but you get the idea.

People are already suggesting lights that will make you have to get additional batteries, a wall charger, and maybe a mobile charger as well.

Wander over to CandlePowerForums (CPF), lurk for a while, and then sign up and ask the question over there... and be ready for hundreds of "this is the only one for you" answers which will disolve into "don't listen to them 'cause THIS is the only one for you" and so on.

Actually there is a "form" you can complete to narrow down the bazillion choices but that forum is for flashlight geeks (and just how would I know?...) and there are a lot of opinions and answers to your search.

If you're not already narrowing the field down posting anywhere will bring in a flood of new choices.

A few things to consider (and you can probably think of a bunch more):

- what kind of batteries do you want to use and how many? There are a bunch of choices and advantages/disadvantages to consider like ease of finding repalcement, primary cells versus rechargeables, cost, weight, etc.
    - how to you want to use your light in situations that are not emergencies? 300+ lumens to look under the sink at 3:00 a.m. is way too bright (especially if you already have a headache).
    - How big do you want the light to be? Big enough to knock one out of the ballpark, small enough to pocket EDC, or anywhere in between?
    - and now for the BIG QUESTION (a drum roll if you please)... just how deep is your bank account?

If you think EDCF can make you bleed out a bank account just wait 'til you see what a flashlight can cost there days. No, you do not have to spend $600 or more on a flashlight but it's no problem whatsoever to drop $50 and up (and up, and up, and up...) for a light that's bright, compact, tough, and reliable.

There are many, many choices so be prepared to take some time and do lots of research.

As much as you can, try before you buy.

The biggest bit of advice is that this one topic has many set-in-concrete opinions and some (or none) may do you any good unless you can actually get to hold one of the lights suggested. There's a ton of brand bias, too. You really need to consider long and hard about what is going to be best for you and you only.

Now as for my 2 cents worth, I'd suggest something about 200 lumens or a little more (plenty for a dark night "blind 'em so you can run" light) with at least one or two lower levels, a tailcap clicky switch (most "normal" feeling for most people to use right out of the box), and one that uses a couple of AA batteries (cheaper, easier to find, AA rechargeables will work for most, and you can also use AA lithium batteries in most of them -- lithiums are lighter weight, often make more light, and have a really long shelf life so often they are worth the money).

To end up, I give you some more warnings:

This will be the first of several lights and often many you'll end up getting if you continue down this path.

It rapidly becomes another one of those addictive hobbies where you just find one more that fits a specific need... and then another... and another.

The technology will change within a week after you get the light of your dreams.

And after you order that new one about a day later you'll find a light that has a nifty feature, an unusual option, or comes in that perfect color or finish.

It may lull you into thinking you're good for awhile but it is never, ever over...

And I'm not even into it big time.

gsolanio, Shur, mooshi and 1 other person like this.
  17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tell me about it;)
    I don't know what copper maratac you're talking about.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

kd7dvd likes this.
  18. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

At night when I go out I carry the Surefire P2x Fury 500 lumens on high. I will carry that in addition to my Fenix PD22 rated for 190 lumens.The Surefire will light up my entire backyard which is 150 feet deep by 80 feet wide, almost like daytime.

KAMM likes this.
  19. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

Nitecore TM - 2000 lumens
    Maglite with Malkoff drop in - 700 lumens
    Several in the 300 lumen range. Don't recall the makes.
    Everything else is in the 150-210 lumen range. Perhaps a dozen scattered around the house on nightstands, on bookcases, in purses, car, on firearms, etc. Can't have too many, or so I must think.

Last edited by Six String, Aug 12, 2012
  20. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

250 lumens is nothing more than a good start. :D

In "normal" LED lights, the brightest I have is a ThruNite Scorpion, takes 2xCR123A or 1x18650, cranks out 700 lumens out the front. Second best is a EagleTac G25C2 that does 630 or so.

They're a bit much for EDC. But I've got several single-cell EDC-class lights that do 300 lumens or better. Not that I use the full power very often on those, but they sure can stop a conversation.

Havent' gotten into those multi-XM-L monsters like the TinyMonster or it's ilk. Soon...

Brightest of all, though, is a 45W HID that reliably lights things up a half mile away. Not exactly pocket-sized, though, of course!

Why? Because seeing stuff a long way away in the dark is fun. What other reason is there? ;)