1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ridgeline Trooper 30L Backpack

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by leaky5, Jul 23, 2016.

1. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

First impressions of the Ridgeline Trooper 30L back pack.

The material is OK, not to the same standard as say Cordura. The backing is quite plasticy, but not a major issue.

Plastic hard ware is OK, non branded. Probably to be expected at this price.

The zips look good. 10mm continuous coil for the main compartment and 8mm on the front one.

It has a slip pocket in the front compartment, the same in the main one (for hydration bladder) and two inner pockets in the main compartment that would take water bottles.

Sewing seems very good all round, all Molle/PALS , handles, straps etc securely sewn. Internal seem binding is also very good.

The is a hydration tube exit point under the top handle. On each side of the handle there is a Velcro flap, not 100% sure about the purpose of this yet.

For £25 it looks very good to me, most places in the UK sell this for between £45 and £55. If I was to make a similar bag, all be it with better materials, it would cost about £50-60 just for the materials.

Mods I am planning.

I like a zipped external pocket, so will probably add a zip just above the top row of Molle/PALS on the front and then line the inside of the front panel.
    At the same time I will remove the manufacturers badge and sew a larger piece of Velcro in its place.
    I may also remove the waist belt as I am unlikely to ever use it.

This was a personal purchase and I have no connection with the seller (apart from I spend lots of money in his shop, but the price I paid was the same as his online price) or manufacturer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zips

[​IMG]

Straps

[​IMG]

Hydration exit

[​IMG]

Main compartment

[​IMG]

Inside Front panel

[​IMG]

Velcro flap

[​IMG]

2. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

Now

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

3. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

Hey, that's great. Funnily enough I picked one up the other week. If I could add a few points:

- The top straps are useful but aren't that long - I can't get a CCF roll matt under it but it's good for carrying your jacket

- Lack of horizontal compression straps across the body of the bag is a major omission IMO. I'm looking at getting T-bars or perhaps another solution to act as compression straps.

- There is nothing on the inside. No molle, not even a hook to hang your hydration bladder from. This is another big omission IMO.

- Hip belt is practically useless and can't be removed without cutting. I tied it away and it's okay but I'd prefer the ability to remove it altogether.

Don't get me wrong, tho', for the price it's a great backpack and does what I need it to do - it swallows my hi-viz and coolbox for work, and is just about big enough for an overnighter.

4. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was wondering, with the molle sewn in like that, the stitching goes all the way through, what happens when the molle gets wet on the outside? does this draw water into the bag from every single stitch place?

5. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

Probably. With the amount of stitching on any bag, I don't trust any as 100% waterproof. If I need waterproofing, it is either a dry bag or cover for the bag.