1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ridge Wallet user experience requested

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by gdwtvb, Dec 20, 2017.

1. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a Spec Ops The Wallet Jr. for years now. It has been as bombproof a wallet as anyone could ask for. My job has changed, my daily attire has changed, and I have grown tired of carrying around this giant thing in my right front pocket.

I am considering going minimalist with a Ridge wallet in Titanium. Smaller footprint, more accessible cards, RFID blocking, what's not to like? (And of course being made of Ti, it matches my wedding band and the scales on most of my edc knives.)

I do have some questions.

First, is it any harder on credit cards than a traditional wallet? It seems that there could be more opportunity for the cards to get abraded by debris and each other just through the action of pulling them out and shoving them back in. Then again maybe with an open construction it allows debris to fall away and takes better care of the cards...I am curious if anyone that uses the ridge wallet or another similar minimalist wallet has noticed anything.

Second, how is the long term durability? My current wallet is pushing seven or eight years old at least...and other than needing a rather thorough cleaning, there is nothing functionally wrong with it. Both zippers still work. Although a little darkened through age and scratches, neither clear plastic cover has cracked. No seams have let go. I know that the ridge wallet advertises replaceable elastic, and I don't expect elastic to last as long as cordura fabric, but what's your guess on the life of those? A year? three years? or is yours worn out at two months?

finally I would ask, do you like it better than a conventional wallet...the kind with card slots.

Thanks! Grizz

2. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

*Crickets*

I'm kind of interested myself. Already bought 5 other wallets in the last year, trying to find the right one... and I was eyeballing this one to try out myself.

3. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

Hi,

I don't use a Ridge wallet, but I've experimented with a couple of the "credit card" wallets, that have slots on each side and perhaps a center compartment. These are usually leather, although I did buy a Magpul Daka Essential during the last year.

I found these to be nice - in theory - but they didn't work well for me in practice. First, I live in NJ and we have these inane motor vehicle insurance cards that are something like 3" x 4". I've had to fold this into a triptych. The vehicle registration cards aren't laminated and the constant movement of items in and out of the wallet, along with the exposed edges which wear against the pants pocket, causes the registration and insurance cards to wear at the edges. Second, I don't normally carry many bills and that usually works with these FP wallets. However, if I happen to change a $20 bill and get 7 singles in change, that creates a bloated wallet issue.

I carry one credit card, one debit card, an RF protection card (which defeats near-field NFC spoofing), a medical and a dental insurance card, my license, registration, my wife's car registration and copies of our vehicle insurance cards. I can't really pare this down any more. I use an app for all the loyalty cards.

What I have settled on is a Tumi black RFID wallet: https://www.tumi.com/p/tumi-id-lock%E2%84%A2-multi-window-card-case-0119274DID

This solution works for me. I used emply the T.H.E. wallet, then the Jr version. I've also used a Saddleback and various others, including the Magpul Daka Essential that I mentioned earlier.

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I hope that my comments help you clarify your own decision. I've been concerned about the FP wallets that have metal pieces and how this might wear or cut into pants pockets.

Happy Holidays!

4. CARRYmole

CARRYmole Empty Pockets

I just started carrying a Dango Dapper wallet. I can't speak on how it will be long-term, but so far it's reduced my pocket bulk and it's working out well.

5. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

I had a Ridge 2.0 when they were out on Kickstarter. Liked it.. up until the screws started falling out. The maker sent me another set at the time, but those too fell out. I did try loctite but the screws are so tiny and the wallet gets handled so much..

Credit cards did wear a bit more than I'd seen using my old leather wallet. And the money clip could only handle so many bills but I guess you'd have that problem with most any wallet.

So my experience was, it was a nice wallet when new. Over time, not so much. Screws lost, moved a couple to keep it going a while (hoping to hear back from the maker) and gave up after losing another screw. Yes, I was careful with the wallet, never threw it around etc. Just a design flaw seems most likely. Not sure if the design changed any since then.

I've since went with a Recycled Firefighter Sergeant or two. Throw a rubber band around it lengthwise (just in case) and I'm happy with that. Easier on the pockets than the Ridge anyhow.

6. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

Thank for the report, you just saved me over a hundred bucks. As I've been considering which wallet, I'm thinking I may try my hand at making my own.

Grizz

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm going to be a bit contrarian.

In this thread, and in several others here at edcf, and in fact on other forums 'dedicated' to edcf, there is always much discussion about front pocket wallets, slim carry, etc etc. I don't dispute the merits of the principle involved.

Harrumph.

IMNSHO however, virtually any leather bifold or even the Cordura wallets (some with Velcro) can serve well in a front pocket. Many are not inherently bulky themselves. Bulk happens because many of us keep stuffing more and more into our wallets without regularly sorting through the detritus and tossing stuff out. We simply carry too much crap.

By way of illustration, for years I insisted on carrying one of those long form leather wallets designed to fit in the inside breast pocket of a suit. With space for many more cards etc than I actually needed on any daily or even weekly basis. Said wallet finally wore out. I found a leather bi-fold 'no-name' at one of the local discount department stores. (Can't remember if it was Walmart or Target or some purely local one). Decided which cards I had to have. This thing easily rides in front pocket, back pocket, breast pocket, no worries. I make sure I purge extraneous receipts etc at least weekly. Might have cost me $40?

Is it 'cool' compared to some of the other offerings in our edc world? Probably not. But it works. As did the ones our fathers used. Yes, some guys let them bloat up. But that is not the fault of the wallet.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

kscaddo and aicolainen like this.
  8. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

As much as i like the looks of the Ridge wallet, it was not available where i live, thankfully i discovered Trayvax, Axis in particular.

Journo likes this.
  9. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

I won a red one and I frankly don't see what the fuss is about. I wouldn't use it. I'm probably going to do a GAW over on Facebook

10. ER05

ER05 Loaded Pockets

I've had an aluminum ridge wallet going on three years. I've been really happy with it. I've haven't had to replace the elastic, although it's pretty easy and inexpensive (about 7 bucks ). The finish has held up well. I took mine in and had an image laser etched. Overall great experience and will continue to carry for many more years. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Lellobeetle likes this.