1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rick Hinderer Titanium Pen/Kubotan Deluxe Set mini-review...

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Jumpmaster, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Jumpmaster

Jumpmaster Banned

I went ahead and picked up the Hinderer Ti pen set.  So far, I have been impressed with it!  The quality is just astounding.  I've been playing with the pen a lot.  It is fun to assemble and disassemble.  :)

The pen works alright.  It is balanced a little strangely though, but that may be just me.  It's weighted a little too top-heavy for me, but still usable and it writes well.  I replaced the Fisher pressurized cartridge with the Staedtler one.  The Staedtler one writes smoothly.

Here are some pics...

Pen configuration, closed:
    [​IMG]

Pen configuration, writing/stabbing mode :)  :
    [​IMG]

Pen attachment alone:
    [​IMG]

Pen attachment with ink cartridge.  Note set-screw on pen to lock down the cartridge for stabbing use:
    [​IMG]

The attachments are tightened with two aluminum(?) pins, shown here:
    [​IMG]

The whole set comes in a Pelican 1020 case:
    [​IMG]

Here is the device in Kubotan mode.  It is a bit shorter this way than when in pen mode.  The tightening holes in the body are used to convert it to a Koppo stick (included with the set was a short bit of 550 paracord for this purpose):
    [​IMG]

It is expensive, but I love the feel.  It has a nice weight to it...I can learn to write with it weighted this way...:)  It is just a lot of fun to handle.  I'm glad I bought it.  I will be buying the AP tip and "DNA collector" tip soon.  When you buy the set from Rick's website, you can specify the two tips that come with the set.  I bought from a different source...didn't find his site until afterward.

JM-99

2. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I am sooo jealous! Great catch. I always wanted one of those, but I just couldn't come up with the cash!

3. Jumpmaster

Jumpmaster Banned

Oh, I didn't *have* the cash before...had to sell a few flashlights that I never used to reallocate some capital. :)

Hey, you might want to pick up just the Kubotan...it's only (ha!) about $90 by itself...then you can add the pen attachment later! Rick Hinderer has them on his website. I got mine from Arizona Custom Knives...they have a few Kubotans also.

You can build your own custom one here...
    http://www.plazacutlery.com/Kubaton/HindererKubotonparts.htm
    http://www.plazacutlery.com/Kubaton/KubatonMainpage.htm

Enjoy!

JM-99

4. alwilliam

alwilliam Loaded Pockets

I love mine. :p

[​IMG]

5. JMV

JMV Loaded Pockets

I have the pen and the kubotan, and think that they are both great. I don't think Rick makes the pens out of aluminum, but I know that he does supply modular kubotans in aluminum stock for a lot less pricewise. You can try his website or edcknives.com.

6. Malcontent

Malcontent Empty Pockets

I have been looking long and hard at this set.
    Everything I have read is positive. I guess I need to start
    looking under the couch cushions and digging up loose change.

7. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I think that is the best step. Got to a $90 kubotan, which is a great deal considering all the features like carry options, koppo holes and craftsmanship. Then get the pen end later.

8. kennyj

kennyj Loaded Pockets

About how much does it weigh? I'm interested in getting one but I find it difficult to write with heavy or top-heavy pens.

9. Jumpmaster

Jumpmaster Banned

That is a good question. I will weigh it when I get home tonight and let you know.

JM-99

10. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

That is awesome!! And very, very cool!! CONGRATS on getting one of those babies. I LOVE Rick's knives etc.

11. Jumpmaster

Jumpmaster Banned

Yep...I have the Gerber Hinderer "Rescue" also. Very nice.

In pen mode, the weight is 2.5 oz. In kubotan mode (with the two tips I have), weight is 2.2 oz.

I tried writing with it again today and the balance really isn't that bad...just different than I'm used to.

JM-99

12. Desert-K9

Desert-K9 Empty Pockets

I have an almost identical set except with the Keyring and DNA Scraper ends. I keep mine in the Pen mode with the clip all the time but it's nice to have the case to hold the extras in case I want to change it. I keep it in my rear right pocket and don't notice it's there til I need it. I use it as my always there pen and not for my primary writing (probablt use 2x a day). It isn't as comfortable as a regular pen, I feel this is more so because of it's size then it's weight. If you like Titanium items or items that serve a dual purpose, I think you will be very pleased even at the price.

13. kennyj

kennyj Loaded Pockets

Yeah... that's way too heavy for me. I've been looking on and off for a nice kubaton pen setup, but I've still had very little success. I've only seen one design I really liked (I think it was the Anderson Knives pens) but that was >$700. :eek:

I have a Fisher Titanium twist pen that seems pretty sturdy, but the twist mechanism has a flimsy feel. Actually very smooth operation, but it turns so easily that it feels flimsy in the hand. I ordered one of the flat-topped twisty chrome finish pens also, but I've been waiting three weeks for it now (The Writer's Edge seems to be taking their sweet time with both shipping and email inquiries. :mad:)