1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rick Hinderer Knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by onceuponanace, Jun 11, 2009.

1. onceuponanace

onceuponanace Loaded Pockets

Okay I have to ask what everyone thinks about Rick Hinderer knives?

I have been so temped to pick one of these up when the chance presents itself. Which anyone who has looked into getting one has found out is hard to do. If your a civilian and not a member of the armed forces, police or public servent than you cannot even get your name on a waiting list and the secodary market is crazy high.

I own a Strider PT and a Chris Reeve Sebenza so I know how much semi custion knives can be, but trying to convince myself that the secondary market price is worth it is where I run into problems. If you can get a Hinderer knife from Rick himself I believe they run aroung $385.00 according to the web site if my memory serves me right (correct me if I am wrong). At that price I would by one without batting an eye. That being said if you have to pay more than double, depending where you are looking the price could be around $800.00. Leaving you with the :broke: feeling.

So lets have it. What do you fellow EDC members think?

I do not want to get negative or to do any bashing, I just want to talk about the knife that seems to have me itching to buy :)

2. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

You can get production models from $495-525 at the moment if you look hard enough and in the right place. ($100 dollar premium isn't too terrible for the ability to get one, I think. As you said, Rick is just totally overwhelmed at the moment so unless you go to a show where he is displaying ...)

I have 3 XM-18s. A gen 2, a production model Gen 3, 3.5" Flipper, and a Custom hand ground 3.5" Flipper with satin Wharncliffe blade model that I _just_ got 3 days ago.

I really can't say enough about them. If your looking at one in the 800 dollar range, you will be getting a hand ground blade. So consider it similar to a MSC or DDC Strider.

The flippers are totally addictive, its hard to explain the action on them. Its both tight and loose at the same time, as soon as you overcome the initial resistance it just glides into locked position, but it takes some doing to get the blade in motion. I love my Striders and Chris Reeve knives as well, but I actually sold my last Sebbie to help pay for the custom XM-18. You can always buy another Sebenza. The flipper isn't without its downside though. It does stick out a good bit, and sometimes it gets in the way depending on which pants I'm wearing and how the pocket is cut.

As soon as I find a 3" Non-flipper I will definitely pick one up for EDC.

Not to mention supporting Rick is awesome, as he seems to be an all around classy guy.

In the end its your money, but its at least as much of a knife value as a Strider SNG which would be ~ the same price at the moment.

This is the newest member of the family! If I remember ill grab some shots of the other two and post them for you.

[img width=640 height=304]http://i44.tinypic.com/2yvmd8p.jpg[/img]

3. onceuponanace

Thats a great looking XM-18 I wish I could find one that someone would be willing to let go for a reasonable price.

One day I will add one to my collection till then I will fight the good fight and keep on hunting. Thanks for the post I look forward to hearing more opionions on this great knife.

Thanks

4. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I run the XM-18 passaround over at Bladeforums and I have had ample time to examine Hinderer's work. It's a gorgeous knife, feels great in the hands and is definitely a real user. Fit and finish is very good and the machine work is just beautiful.

I would pick up a Hinderer over a Strider any day but the secondary market prices really hurt -- if you DO manage to snag one at his table at a customs show it'll cost you half what the secondary market is paying!

5. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I am a huge Hinderer fan! Rick makes a fantastic & tough knife. The XM-18 is an AWESOME knife!!! I have owned several CUSTOM XM-18's. I currently have the one Rick made for me. I personally prefer the 3 inch bladed ones.

6. MinorCuts

MinorCuts Empty Pockets

Rick Hinderer XM-18's are IMO the best made folding knives out there right now. I've owned 3 of them but sold them since I can't bring myself to actually use them (plus I lost an expensive Sebenza that I haven't gotten over yet). As far as finding one at a "reasonable" price....good luck. They are highly sought after and bring a pretty hefty price. If you can find one for $600-$650, you did pretty good.

[img width=640 height=512]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/pkdmslf/TaurusBlue-XM-18.jpg[/img]

7. onceuponanace

Thanks for the replys.

I was considering getting the 3 inch version for edc but I like the 3.5 for a more all around user. Would you Hinderer owners say you can notice a difference in the size when it comes to a daily user.

I have a large Sebenza right now and I love it. Handles anything I throw at it and lock up is crazy tight no blade play in any direction.

Just for argument sake if one were to sell a Large Regular Sebenza right now with BG42 for steel what do you think it would go for?
    (condition is very good to excellent)

Might have to part with it to help with the cost of a Hinderer

(Just for argument sake) ;)

8. subrosa

subrosa Loaded Pockets

I love the Hinderer blade profile, the XM-18 is one of those knives I really want, but they are hard to find...but maybe that is part of the fun. I would buy one for $385 though!

I have owned both a Strider SnG and a Sebenza, the Hinderer I see as in the middle of the two, combining the robust Strider feel with the beauty of the sebenza. :)

9. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

The difference between the larger and smaller Hinderer is just about the same difference between the larger and smaller Sebenza. Except the Hinderer is a bit bulkier than the Sebenza.

10. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

Just got a 3.5" XM-18. It just arrived last night. I'm so glad I got the 3.5" instead of the 3" one. This thing is BEEFY. You really feel you got a heavy duty knife in your hand. This one is with a flipper and I'm instantly in love with that feature. The ability to move the clip for either tip-up or tip-down carry is great. Definitely will be EDC'ing this thing.

On a side note though, I've already messed up the torx screws for the clip. I was impatient and now I've stripped the :censored: things. Sigh. The XM-18 is great but I'll be even better once I get it tip up.

11. Rico801

Rico801 Loaded Pockets

The XM-18 is my favorite knife. They open super smooth, lock up is perfect, and they are built like a tank. I love the spanto grind. I love how easy they are to take apart and reassemble. I like how you can change the scale color and I like having the option to carry tip up or tip down. Rick machines all the parts so they all go together perfectly. The pivot is super easy to adjust. I almost forgot about the LBS! Did I mention that Rick is a super guy?

I have had several of these in the past and now I only have a non flipper in the 3.5" blade. I'm hoping to get another 3.5" flipper and two 3" XMs. Then I think I'll pick up a FXM. ;D

The best part is that they come in pink!

[​IMG]