1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

RFTACTICAL ASO Bag

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by tbzbbt, Dec 30, 2018.

1. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

This is a lot larger than an EDC pack, but the ASO Gear bag is a large duffel with backpack straps, 7 internal mesh pockets, and an end pocket with plenty of Molle.

It appears very well made. Does anyone have any experience with this bag to share?

Tbzbbt

2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I have one and my brother does as well. It's a bit pricey, but is a very well made, well thought out bag. I've used mine as a load out bag for gear when I'm traveling. It has been loaded heavy (~30 - 35lbs) and handled the weight without any problems. I can't speak for the backpack straps since I've never used them, but they are padded and well constructed. Organization is excellent.

The ASO has been out for 4 or 5 years. I'm really surprised that there has only been occasional discussion about it here. It may be that most end users are LE/Military as opposed to civilian EDC'ers (just my thoughts). It could also be the price ($275). Regardless, it is a top-notch bag that deserves more attention.

3. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

It's RETactical not RF as in thread title.ive been looking for a high quality duffel hold-all with organisation. I watched a review by sooch on YouTube and liked what I saw.

I've just received a 5.11 NBT Mike which is both small and flimsy. I presume the Lima and X-RAY sizes will be silmilar.

The bag is intended to be a crossover between sports equipment such as kayak,diving and camping gear vs travel luggage. The ASO bag has the quality and organisation. I also looked at the Tom Bihn Aeronaut 45 which is too civilised for the more rugged objectives. Tom Bihn also does the Yeoman series, but they seem less attractive than a molle-equipped beast.

The 275USD price tag for the ASO causes a sharp intake of breath, but Im pretty price elastic if it's about real value in build and utility.

Tbzbbt

4. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Can both the rucksack straps _and_ the shoulder strap both be stowed within dedicated pockets?

Tbzbbt

5. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

There are 2 long pockets with velcro closures on each side of the bag. The duffel straps (handles) are integrated to store in those pockets when not in use. The backpack straps will store in the side pockets as well. The ASO doesn't come with a shoulder strap (I'm assuming you meant the duffel straps), but you could easily use an aftermarket strap and attach cross-ways to the D-rings on the ends. There are also grab handles on each end of the bag, so there is no shortage of options for carry.

The YouTube video by sootch gives a good overview of the ASO's capabilities. In my opinion, it's perfect for your intended use (gear loadout/adventure & travel).

Also, try doing a search in this forum for posts by Gator Medic. I think she has been inactive on the forum for a while, but she actually owns 3 ASO bags - one for use as a truck bag, one for travel and one to carry her K9's gear.

tbzbbt and swedishelite22 like this.
  6. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the reference, I followed Gatormedic’s experiences and found them very interesting. Rather than wait for the ASO bag to become available, my travels couldn’t wait: so I picked up two North Face Base Camp vinyl duffels. They are 71litre medium size with two mesh internal pockets and a large end pocket. These are well regarded and although they are more expedition than tactical with bright colours, the quality is very high. I’m using them for dive and kayak gear for one with camping gear in the other. These complement well the small 5.11 NBT Mike which contains travel accessories.

tbzbbt

twin63 likes this.
  7. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Glad you found a solution. Those are nice looking bags. The vinyl may even be a better choice for diving and kayaking.

8. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Never owned one, but last time I saw an ASO bag it was on a flight out of Washington Dulles. My assumption is it was an advance team member for a presidential visit or someone with an even more interesting job.

I like the looks of them. I have an existing Uncle Mikes loadout bag that does much of the ASO design. I suspect the ASO would be a vert cool purchase.

twin63 likes this.
  9. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets