1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rfid sheilding sleeves and pockets

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by marsos52, Jan 2, 2011.

1. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i knew somewhere their had to be a company making and selling a product to protect items (licenses, id cards,credit and bank cards and passport) that have a rfid chip..

these are not expensive and made to fit all rfid items.. so now we can keep our wallets and not have any worries

http://www.idstronghold.com/

this site has a good amount of info on rfid and videos etc etc plus links to other products to protect against rfid

2. fire65

fire65 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the link, something we will all have to have soon.

3. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Do they make something for the one in the back of your neck? OK sorry for that but could'nt pass it up! Do'nt you just love tech when it is pushed upon us!!!

4. Docker73

Docker73 Loaded Pockets

I use the TMT wallet, a little heavy, but quite cool with hidden compartment for some mini tools, pills , ect

5. spinacle

spinacle Loaded Pockets

Very interesting
    Thanks

6. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

One would think that credit card companies would provide this product to their customers for FREE since is can cut down on fraud.

7. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i would think the same,,and they should, some cards are coming with a protective sleeve so to speak,, only thing is the sleeve doesnt provide and protection against a scanning theft..only protection for the mag strip..

i doubt the companies that issue products with rfid care about the theft possiblities ,, even the goverment doesnt care and they are issueing id and card and passports with these chips

it is all on our shoudlers

8. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

i guess the theft alarm trick works just as well on rfid. Basically line the bag or wallet with tinfoil.

9. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

The Gadgeteer reviewed Tyvek envelopes that are RFID protected, too. I don't have the link offhand, but you can find it pretty easily on their site.

10. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

just a little while ago i did a ebay search,,as was surprised how many rfid sleeves and wallets etc there are..
    i found a link to a company and there products are on amazon..

pricing varies..i need to know about the companies better ..i do see there are the separte card and license sleeves and there are also
    sheets that go in the wallet and store the card between them,,so the doors are opening up for sheilding options

11. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

Use anti-static bags!! They have the wire mesh in them, that's how the static charges stay on the outside of the bags. I've done tests, three layers deep and my cell got no service at all, which is much stronger than most RFIDs

12. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

Where can one find anti-static bags to purchase?

Forget it. Google works! lol

13. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

14. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

the only problem i see with anti static bags are the size theydome in..and cutting them can be a problem if not re-sealed well.
    also anti-static bags may not with stand the wear of contant use..

im a tech and have used these bags many times..and after a while they get shop worn fast and easely

15. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Just to avoid too much panic the RFID number is not the same as the credit card number on the front of your card. Also RFIDs actually generate a unique session key for each transaction so any would be hacker needs a bit more than the plain text info that gets grabbed to clone an RFID and the technology to make a fully cloned RFID has not yet been hacked. I am sure it will be in the future but not from what can be remotely read from the RFID.

Some credit card companies do include the customer name and expiry date in the RFID which is a small issue, but even with cardholder name number and expiry date, for customer not present transactions they also need the security code that is not on the RFID and for online transactions most credit card companies now use a verification system.

16. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Next step, a wallet with active shielding -- a coin cell, and a circuit to vary a charge applied to a conducting fabric. With any product advertising a degree of EM shielding - the seals edges and opening - are the critical point.

17. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

Sure new cards with the latest and greatest security and rolling scheme authentication are pretty safe, but there's still plenty of things out there that aren't. Some of our international brothers around the world passports have substandard security. Knowledge is half the battle.

18. spiritof76

spiritof76 Loaded Pockets

I only have two cards with RFID anyway. AmEx Blue and Chase Slate. Shielding would only complicate my life. Have to go in and out of courthouses frequently and right now I don't bother pulling out my wallet for guards to scan. Shielding would set off the metal detector, so they'd know I was carrying one and demand it be put through the scanner. Hassle.

19. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

spiritof76 i can understand your feelings and situation,,i think since you have cards with these rf chips,,you maybe should give a little more thought into the matter

20. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

The shielding isn't going to set it off with any kind of intensity. I've gone through airport's before with bags b4