1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

RFID nylon wallets

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by pantagana23, Feb 25, 2016.

1. pantagana23

pantagana23 Loaded Pockets

I recently got a new passport/ID, with the infamous RFID chip in it. Since I do travel out of the country every here and then, I was thinking of finding a travel wallet that would be front/rear pocket friendly, and would hold just a few credit cards, cash and the ID

[​IMG]

I stumbled upon Maxpedition Encore wallet with RFID protection. However, this one is out of production, and currently there are limited quantities available online.

I have a couple of questions for you guys here:

- Alternatives to this wallet (similar or same configuration would be great, I don't prefer leather+RFID combo)
    - Anyone with this wallet willing to share experience? Really don't know why this one got out of production, I was thinking that it was maybe flawed, so they superseeded it with non-RFID.
    - Did anyone do any testing with RFID wallets in real life? I saw a bunch of contradictory information, from Saddleback wallets video proof that it works (on Youtube), through guys putting aluminum from beer cans in wallets (claiming that only aluminum as thick as that works), to guys claiming that non of those advertised protections work, and are only used to sell another wallet.

Please share your thoughts.

2. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Not really an answer to your question because I am unsure about the wallets, but you could buy the one you like and put the little slip RFID blockers on each card inside the wallet of your choice. They are are like, 3 for $5 or so.

3. MINICS04

MINICS04 Empty Pockets

Vanquest Cache and Vault are awesome!

F-Bobby and LivingUpNorth like this.
  4. pantagana23

Anyone else with alternatives and/or tests?
    I'm really interested if somene tried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I bought a RFID wallet, black leather and whatever. can't read a company on it. ( my wife's nephew went to a concert, never took his wallet out, it was used that night to buy things. RFID was next thing for me).

6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Or sort-of free if you have aluminium foil and some packaging tape. Its not a 100% stopgap for really powerful/sensitive RFID readers... but the same will be true with the budget blockers (and actually most wallets).

twoisone likes this.
  7. pantagana23

Found this video on RFID, is kind of old, but you get the general concept

Will ask the OP to test some wallets or bags if possible.

ran23 likes this.
  8. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

I just bought the Tatonka wallet. It fits in a backpocket. It is a nylon wallet. Quality seems good, it does not feel cheap to me. But sorry, I didn't test the RFID blockage so far.
    I don't know the specific model, I just saw, they build this in more than one size.

9. pantagana23

Tatonka seems well sized.
    Vanquest either too small or big for my taste.

Still waiting for an enthusiast to show up with test of any RFID wallet

10. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I have the Vanquest Vault 2.0, which is definitely a minimalist wallet, so I could understand if you felt it was too small. I went with that one because I wanted a slim, front-pocket wallet. The RFID-blocking feature appealed to me as well, but I have no idea how effective it truly is.

In mine, I have two IDs (driver's license and CCW license) and two credit cards. I have a single $20 bill folded in the outside pocket. That's the perfect amount for me as I rarely use anything else on a daily basis. I have my old wallet in my EDC bag for medical insurance card, frequent buyer cards, etc.

11. pantagana23

Well Vault would be a good EDC carry, however I don't care that much when I'm home, haven't seen much ID/credit card theft going around.

Anyway, found another one - Identity Stronghold wallet 6 in nylon

[​IMG]

Seems the right size for me also. The only thing that's a turnoff for this one is the marketing campaign from the company guys - everyone else sucks, we are the only one who have operational RFID wallets.

So, looking between ID Strongold wallet 6 and Tatonka now, unless something else comes up im the mean time.

Suggestions between those two? Anyone with ID Stronghold wallet around?

12. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

While in a Travel store, I found a Lewis N Clark RFID bi-fold that I now carry. black leather and almost slim.

13. pantagana23

Just took a look, not bad at all. Combination of nylon and leather seems very good
    However, I'm trying to avoid leather, as it creates unnecessary thickness in the pocket (already have a leather one - BisonMade, and it's the thickest solution I would accept for a leather wallet).

Thanks for the input though, would like to get a number of nylon RFID ones in here, so the next one who asks would have a good number of choices in this thread.

ran23 likes this.
  14. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately it prints because it is not flexible much. I tend to carry it front left pocket.

15. pantagana23

Did anyone have these ID Stronghold wallets, or are they just another marketing trick?

16. pantagana23

Just took Tatonka RFID protected passport sleeve and a trifold wallet. They do have some Crypto foil in it, and claim it was TUV tested. The reason i took both is because the ID for travelling in EU is basically a standard ID, the size of credit card, and I can use the smaller one. For travelling outside, I'll use the sleeve, where I could put my passport + some other stuff.

We'll see how much that TUV rating holds.

17. tattoosteve99
    • In Omnia Paratus

tattoosteve99 EDC Junkie!!!

How would one test such a wallet?

18. tattoosteve99
    • In Omnia Paratus

tattoosteve99 EDC Junkie!!!

Bump. Anyone know?

19. pantagana23

I'll try to convince the police next time I go with a car over the border to test it

LivingUpNorth and tattoosteve99 like this.
  20. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying the Pacsafe 50 compact wallet with RFID protection for a few years. $15 or so from Amazon back in the day.

To test one, you need a handheld RF ID reader.