1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

RFID blocking wallet...worth it.

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by zipthehuh, Apr 24, 2011.

1. zipthehuh

zipthehuh Loaded Pockets

My wallet has decided to give up the ghost. I was wondering with all the news in recent months if I should go ahead and get one that blocks RFID. I have faith in my bank fixing issues if my card number gets swiped but I don't think the added layer of protection could hurt.

What are you opinions?

2. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

If you found a wallet you like with it built in, great. But to seek it out is unnecessary in my personal opinion.

3. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

4. velotech

velotech Loaded Pockets

I choose not to carry cards with RFID. I don't see them as providing that much more convenience. But my opinion could change if the use of the technology becomes more widespread. Then I'll check back to this thread!

5. shokthx

shokthx Loaded Pockets

I haven't really heard of RFID theft being a real problem yet. There are some proof of concept videos on YouTube and the claim was the data gathered included the card number and expiration which would probably make the data usable. I just haven't heard of it being used yet. I think it will be a problem eventually.
    Right now, I think you are more likely to fall for a spearphishing email with the large number of credit card companies that had email and user names stolen a few weeks ago. As far as trusting your bank, remember that until your complaint is processed, the money taken from that account is no longer there. Not so good if you need to pay bills with it.
    That said, I bought a shielded wallet a couple weeks ago. A lot of these wallets cost a lot more than an RFID scanner and the software is free.

6. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I carry nothing that uses RFID. Unless I was forced to, I would not carry anything that uses RFID. The convenience has not outweighed the risks.

7. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

:iagree: why expose yourself to something, unless you have to

8. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

zipthehun, i have made a couple posts and threads here on the forum about rfid theft, this is already a growing source of indenity theft. in the usa cards and item forms of id are just coming into the public.. so in the short term future you got to know this will become wider and wider spread..

some day we may all need wallets with rfid shealding,, but for now i dont think its needed,, but, if you do have cards or license etc
    with a rfid chip,,,you do need protection,, and you can purchace sleeves for cards, passports and licenses that block rf...

this is better because you can still carry the wallet of your choice...

if you need links for rfid sleeves pm me...

9. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

A little sheet of aluminum foil is all you need, why buy a new wallet? Unless of course it's trashed and falling apart.

Easy project with some duct tape and foil, $0.

10. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

... And the tin foil can also be used for signaling, as a conductor for various low voltage electrical projects and I bet there other uses that do not come to mind now.