1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rexford RUT and Big Idea Designs TPT

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Jedi Knife, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

OK let me preface this with saying I hope this is in the right subform; I posted here because these things are multifunctional and small. My apologies to the mods if this post belongs in the knife area.

Here are is brief comparison of two neat little titanium multifunctional utility cutters, the Big Idea Designs TPT (Titanium Pocket Tool) (top) and the Rexford RUT (bottom). Both are similar in size and shape, both crafted from 6AL4V titanium. Both are nicely stonewashed and made very well. I used Kobalt utility blades in both of them. The blades look nice but I wish they came sharper, I like to touch the new ones up with a ceramic stick before I use them.
    I do realize that there are a lot of other more affordable little cutters out there, like the ScrewPop Ron's Utility Knife which are stellar tools also.

[​IMG]

The Rexford Rut is quite a bit more expensive, but I still like it and think it is a cool little tool to have. The Big Idea Designs, however, is not only cheaper, but comes with a nice little leather pouch with a pocket on the side to carry extra blades. It came with 2 "finger-safe" blades, one side has slots cut into it so it could be used as an impromptu camp fork for stabbing chunks of food with. Yeah this feature might not get used but props to Big Idea anyway for putting it there because hey why not?

[​IMG]

If you will notice the mouth on the Big Idea Designs TPT where the blade comes out has serrated "teeth" that could be used to turn metric and standard nuts and bolts with. Also notice the hex hole in the Big Idea Designs TPT designed to hold standard hex bits.
    I have to say that right now I like the Big Idea Designs TPT better. It also has a magnet built into the inside to keep the blade from rattling. The Rexford RUT doesn't and the blade does noticeably rattle in it.

I don't intend for this to be a "versus" thread, because I like both of these. One small improvement I'd like to see in both of them is to make them where the lock bar would be on the left side of the tool, so that it could be easily operated with the thumb when held in the right hand. I'm pretty sure they put them on the other side for just this reason; so that they won't accitdentally be pressed while using them.
    For the price and the quality, as well as neat extras like the leather pouch and blades, I think the Big Idea Designs TPT is phenomenal.
    If you already own the Rexford RUT, however, it is still a finely made tool also.
    In conclusion, if you like nicely made titanium goodies, there are awesome.

kreisler, MKLight, newnan3 and 3 others like this.
  2. Particleman

Particleman Loaded Pockets

Nice post! Do you think I can remove and reinstall the magnet on the tpt? That way I could flame anodiz the tool without destroying the magnet

3. Jedi Knife

It has 3 T6 torx bolts holding the two halves together; I don't know if the magnet is adhered into one side or not though. If/when you do flame yours, please posts some pics. I bet it would look great!

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I have embraced the functionality of this product type as the need arose recently in my present occupation. I have been using the Gerber EAB; however, the girth and weight is becoming cumbersome for the lightness of the duty on which I have applied it.

Although the price point of the TPT is still a bit high, it is not as overblown as the Rexford product. I don't care for the screwdriver tang at 9 o'clock on the RUT so the abbreviated iteration on the TPT is an improvement. The bit holder is nearly useless for me. The "teeth" are something that will just be annoying for me. I understand the need to add capability; but I don't appreciate the effort by these makers to do so at the expense of diminished functionality. Neither of these products are robust enough to undo a fastener so it is best to focus on their fundamental raison d'ĂȘtre so as to create a form that not only follows the function but enhances it as well.

5. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

I've been expecting and hoping for a threat about these two awesome razor/box cutters

I have been holding off from getting a R.U.T. largely because of the cost.

I funded the TPT on kick starter and I am quite happy with this tool and finding myself using
    it way more than I ever imagined

the tool took about a week or so to kind of break in. after that the blade because easy to slide in and out
    even the first few tries using the cap lifter it wasn't doing its job. now its opening beers etc. with ease

6. Jedi Knife

The teeth aren't annoying at all. It's good to have functionality whether it is needed or not.

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

This may work for you; however, I'm approaching my 60th year of everyday carry & everyday wear and some features just seem to annoy me endlessly as follows but in no order of importance, significance, or annoyment level:
    • That stupid second pocket directly on top of the main, outside lower suitcoat or sportscoat pocket.
    • That extra-aggressive jimping on a folding knife.
    • The external, key-operated safety on S&W revolvers.
    • Those excessive straps & buckles on many of the bags many of you prefer.
    • The extra-tall tail light fins on a '59 Cadillac.
    • The teeth on the TPT.
    • Flashlight rails on a carry handgun.
    • Simon Cowell
    • Donald Trump's bid for CIC (traveler).
    To name just a few...

Last edited by 0dBm, Jun 24, 2016
    MKLight, ChrisS and Moshe ben David like this.
  8. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Those two certainly look nice and may be functional. But in this case (box cutters) I've been very happy with my two Milwaukee Fastback IIs for fifteen bucks. One for the toolbox and one for home. I don't carry them though so weight isn't a concern. Think the Fastbacks can do some damage if thrown.

9. Coup de Grace

Coup de Grace Uber Prepared

I've owned both. I prefer the size and functions of the TPT, but I prefer the fit and finish of the RUT. But for the price, you can't beat the TPT.

10. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

I am a contractor and always have a utility knife in my pocket. The FastBack IIs are my current utility knife of choice and I have many, many utility knives. I also really like the Stanley Quickslides, but the Fastbacks are easier to open and more secure to hold. Just wish they were as compact closed as the Quickslides. However, when not at work the TPT is way lower profile and easier to carry in the watch pocket, along with a AAA flashlight.

11. Jedi Knife

Yes I bought a Milwaukee Fastback not too long ago and have had a lot of fun around the house flipping it open and even using it sometimes, LOL. It is a cool serious utility cutter.

12. Jedi Knife

I like the TPT better than the RUT; it seems very well made. Kudos for you for backing them on Kickstarter. I'm getting weary of all the great ideas that only get delayed perpetually there and it is refreshing to see people like Big Idea hit a home run with their products.

13. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I backed the TPT as well and I am satisfied with the TPT. The project creators rejected suggestions which would have added complications and delay to the project. I became frustrated attempting to purchase an RUT which seems to be perpetually out of stock and overpriced at auctions.

Now if you find a folding scalpel blade knife for EDC which requires no tools for the blade change. I would definitely back.

14. Particleman

Particleman Loaded Pockets

Lots of pictures https://www.edcforums.com/index.php?posts/2571973

Jedi Knife likes this.
  15. Jedi Knife

16. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

OP, anymore thoughts on either tool lately?

17. kreisler

kreisler Loaded Pockets

Hi guys, long time no see.
    I made TPT/TPT Slide forum reviews over at BF and reposted them here, hope you find them informative and helpful:
    I am thinking of testing the Knifun or the K1 (branded Atuman or edcfans) in comparison ... but probably won't. :happy:
    EDIT: These days I am looking at Stanley 1-10-122 (retractable blade with plastic sheath, made in England) which seems out of production, so I might buy the 2-10-122 (no sheath version, made in China?) instead or least check it out, its build quality and value.

Last edited by kreisler, Dec 8, 2018
    #17 kreisler, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    MKLight likes this.