1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Revolver vs. Semi auto vs. both vs. other

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by darth_guy101, Oct 28, 2011.

?

What is your most commonly carried handgun system?

1. Revolver

15.8%
  2. Semi-auto

63.2%
  3. both revolver and semi

12.3%
  4. Big and slow (like .45 acp)

19.3%
  5. small and fast (like 9mm or .22)

33.3%
  6. both ammo options

12.3%
  7. other, specify

3.5%
  8. I don't carry

5.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. darth_guy101

darth_guy101 Loaded Pockets

I am listening to my Dad and two of his friends argue Semi-auto vs. Revolvers. I know that this is an OLD topic, but I want to see what the forum thinks with a poll. If you feel so inclined, post what caliber (big & slow like a .45 acp or small and fast like a 9mm) you carry in what platform as well since they are throwing the capacity vs. power argument in too. I am not yet old enough to carry concealed, but will soon be, so I count this as "research". Thanks!

2. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

I currently carry semi-autos only. I live in the city of Phoenix, if I lived in a more rural setting I might be very likely to carry a revolver in .357 or .44 Magnum. The calibers I carry most are 9mm, 357 Sig, or 10mm. I don't consider any of them to be "small"...so I voted "other".

The choice of revolver over semi-auto, as with the choice of caliber, is a very personal one. What works well for one person may not be the best choice for the next guy. Also, the situation (rural vs. urban, 2-legged vs. 4-legged predator, type of clothing, etc.) may change one's decision on a seasonal/weekly/daily basis. Find what works for you, and don't worry about what some other "expert" says.

Tim

3. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Kind of a strange poll. Easier to just answer. When I carry, which is not very often, my preference is for a 9mm compact semiauto. When attire does not allow me to carry it concealed, then I fall back to either a .38 snub-nosed revolver or a mid-size .380 auto, both of which can be pocket carried.

4. GADGET982

GADGET982 Loaded Pockets

I am not allowed to carry at work, so I keep a sub-compact Glock in my bag of tricks in my car. I prefer .40 S&W. It seems to be the best balance of speed/knockdown/mag capacity.

5. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

Revolver or semi? Caliber? Meh. It's all personal preference.

Find a handgun that fits your hand, and that you can comfortably carry. Make sure it is dead reliable. Then practice, practice, practice til you can place your shots where you want them. That's it.

Caliber is not entirely immaterial, as I'd not carry a 25acp (unless it was a 25acp or no gun), but I'm personally fine with pretty much anything north of 32acp in size. The differences in statistical stopping power between a 9mm and 45acp, for example, is a few percentage points. If I was seriously worried about stopping power, I'd carry a long gun. Handguns differ to the tune of about 10-15% on stops*. With margins being that small, I'm more interested in what I can shoot accurately. A shot that doesn't hit has zero chance of stopping your assailant.

The "practice, practice, practice" idea has a few caveats too. Is your ammo so expensive that you can't afford to put it down range? If so, you won't practice, thus you won't get good with your weapon. Is the recoil is too much for you to put more than a few rounds downrange? Again, you won't practice, and won't get good. So go for something you can afford to shoot, and won't cringe every time you pull the trigger because it's beating you up.

6. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Loaded Pockets

Whichever one you can bring to bare quickly and accurately in an emergency.

7. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

High capacity more relevant for LEO. I would be happy with a 5 shot .38 and lots of range time. Personal protection for concealed carry citizens means up close and personal defense. Will not argue that bigger isn't better for stopping ability. Just if you "sometimes carry" small stubby or .380, then lots of practice and carrying that gun all the time makes sense. Most people who go armed do not put enough rounds down range to become proficient at hitting intended targets, especially in a high stress encounter. All IMO of course.

8. jkulysses

jkulysses Loaded Pockets

I've always been a semi auto guy and prefer .45 acp but about a year ago I bought a Ruger LCR in .357mag and I absolutely love it!!! It goes everywhere with me and it is easier to conceal and lighter than my baby glock. It's actually not that bad shooting mag loads out of it either believe it or not. It's more comfortable shooting mags out of it then my dads SP101. I personally wouldn't carry anything under a .40 s&w load for self defense.

9. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

I had an SP101 in 357mag that beat the snot out of me. I sold it with a quickness after I realized that I just didn't want to shoot it. The LCR is easier? I wonder if it is because the polymer frame absorbs some of the felt recoil. I looked at the LCR's but didn't get one largely because I worried that the lack of mass would cause it to beat the shooter to death with full power loads.

10. jkulysses

jkulysses Loaded Pockets

Did your sp101 have the rubber Hogue grip cause that is a huge improvement over the stock grip that still has the metal back strap exposed. But yes the LCR does feel better to shoot and it has to be because of the polymer frame and the back of the grip is super soft almost like there is gel in there. I'm not going to say you would want to go out and shoot it all day at the range with full power loads or anything like that but thats not what it's made for either. It's a self defense revolver it's made for 5 to 10 shots at a time. After about 10 rounds through it with some hot mag loads the web of my hand will sting for a min or two but not longer than that. You can shoot .38 +p's out of it all day long and it doesn't hurt at all. The .357mag LCR is actually better for shooting +p's out of then the regular .38 because of the extra 3 Oz's in weight makes a noticeable difference in felt recoil. The trigger on the LCR is really impressive too it feels better out of the box then a lot of custom trigger jobs I've felt on other revolvers.

11. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

That is a bit of a surprise. I have shot 1000's of rounds from a 3inch M60 J-Frame with full power 158 and 125 grain loads and it isn't that bad using Bahrami Hip Grips. I would think the SP101 would be easier.

12. wabash

wabash Loaded Pockets

using +P .38 ammo in my (.357) sp101 seemed like a good combination.

13. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I hear this a lot (particularly from people advocating the 9mm), but let me offer this counter argument. Yes, 9mm range ammo is less expensive but most CCW owners who have chose that caliber for carry often go with costly premium defense loads, often time in higher velocities, that recoil differently in their gun that the ammo they practice with. Why do they do this? Fear for lack of stopping power.

On the flip side, standard pressure 230-grain 45 ACP with conventional JHP pretty much duplicates the recoil and trajectory of GI hardball in the same weight allowing for cost effective training (assuming the gun will reliably feed JHP). +P isn't necessary in 45 ACP or 45 GAP and the most popular defense rounds like CCI Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, and Winchester SXT/Ranger are all standard pressure loads.

Also, a fair number of 45 owners reload or order over the internet which keeps the cost of their ammo down. When there's a will, there's a way.

One more thing. I think a significant number of 9mm owners who worry about recoil have never shot the larger calibers. I recently started shooting 45 ACP and I was shocked how manageable the recoil was in the right gun. Yes, the guns chambered in that caliber typically feature heavier slides and are otherwise heavier to manage the recoil (you can't fight physics). But, plenty of CCW holders carry 1911's, Glock 30's, and XD 45 compacts. The right holster and belt combo makes all the difference.

14. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

My SP-101 was bought when it first came out, so it was box stock all the way. To be honest though, I wouldn't have put a Hogue grip on it. I can't stand the material that Hogue uses, and they are generally too slender for my big mitts anyway.

It was a weird thing, as I grew up shooting .44 mag and .357 mag out of a variety of guns, and the SP-101 was not exactly light. It just beat the heck out of me. I'll see if I can find a range with an LCR for rent.

15. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I change with the seasons.

While I have everything ranging from my Seecamp .32 ACP to a Desert Eagle .50 AE, I really prefer my S&W 642 PowerPort .38 spl J-frame with Buffalo Bore 150gr. hard cast wadcutters. I don't anticipate nor plan on a participating in a roving gun battle, and if I can't take care of business with five rounds then I have out stayed my welcome.

On a side note, I'm very anxious to get my hands on a .327 Federal Magnum. This weekend is the Wanamacher gun show in Tulsa and i've got money in my pocket and I'm jonesing for a new toy.

16. Janitor

Janitor Empty Pockets

The majority of the time, I carry a 1911.

When I go out on the motorcycle, I carry 9mm in a Kahr P9 - fits into the sunglass pocket on my leather jacket.

On the odd occasion, for no particular reason, I may carry a snubby model 19 - just because.

In the field - always a wheel gun, caliber depends on where I'm going but it's always a large frame. If I'm going to be out in the whoop by the badlands or something, I'll carry a .45ACP N frame with snake shot. Up north where I deer hunt, a Blackhawk in .45 Colt (loaded hot) or an N frame in .44 magnum.

17. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

Grayman, how is availability on that .327mag round? It looks really interesting, but I can't say that I've laid eyes on a box of it around here.

18. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I've seen it at the sporting goods store, but I can't say I've ever noticed it at Wal-Mart. Then again, I try and avoid Wal-Mart at all costs. One of my favorite ammunition manufacturers, which is Buffalo Bore, is putting it out.