1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Review: Titanium Split Rings

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by tonester, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Riggs

Riggs Loaded Pockets

I also have the Ti disease. i can think of worse things to waist my money on though, so i just remind myself of these things sometimes :boing:

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Spend some time finding the reason that you are on this BB. It will give you a clue as to why there is a fascination with this metal. It may be a long-repressed desire; retaliation for someone stating bluntly to you that you couldn't have something as a child; or simply an underlying interest that you have been wishing to explore but have not previously had the resources to cultivate. Reach inside. You're young and have plenty of time to ponder this.

3. PerfectZebra
    • In Omnia Paratus

PerfectZebra Loaded Pockets

I have a tungsten carbide wedding ring. I like it because even though it gets knocked around quite a bit, it still looks like the day I got it. The thing is virtually scratch proof. The tradeoff is that it is more brittle. In an emergency situation where you'd need to remove the ring, instead of cutting it you'd need to provide pressure on it with something like a pair of vise grips, and it would simply crack and break off.

4. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Loaded Pockets

Great review. Thanks!

5. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

6. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

That's good to know! I might consider it a replacement option should I ever lose mine, although I didn't know it would crack so easily. I think ill still stick with Ti though as is more shock proof. When i smashed my finger in the car door I probably would have cracked the ring if it were tungsten carbide. Still interesting all the same!

7. Desmodromic

Desmodromic Loaded Pockets

Some people have it for latex, you just have a Titanium fetish ;-)

8. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

I... um... ...its true...

9. Munkey6901

Munkey6901 Loaded Pockets

Ti is great to anodize or heat color. One reason why I like it.

10. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I believe instead of cutting it, they crush it - it is incredibly hard, but much more brittle and so if it is crushed with a pair of pliers it will shatter.

As for the fascination with Ti, some of it will be technical - in industry it is used as major component of machines like the Airbus A380 and the newest generations of fighters thanks to it having one of the highest strength to weight ratios of common metals. In more mundane uses it is strong and lightweight, so where an item such as a pen in a material like brass would be fairly weighty and unwieldy, the same item in Ti is light and usable. It also has good properties in terms of non-reactivity (ie it won't rust) and other similar benefits.

When you get down to the level of split rings I will admit there probably really isn't that much of a benefit of Ti over stainless barring a couple of grams, and at this point it is mostly trading off the cool factor - it has awesome properties, is used in lots of awesome machines like the jets, and somehow the fact that it is technically better means something, even if it has few practical benefits.

11. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Hmm...someone is carrying a pocket sized DSM around. :rolleyes:

12. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I am definately a big fan of Ti also. My fascination with this metal is mostly asthetic. I have anodized just about everything Ti I own. I eat my lunch at work with a purple spork. Blue homemade Ti pendant around my neck. Ti framelock knife is anodized also. (most things purple as it is my fav color.) I will have to say that my keychain prybar is not ti though...I tried that, steel is a better choice. I've been wearing the same gold wedding ring for almost 23 years now...Ti wasn't an option I was aware of back then and I'm quite attached to this ring...well I am attached to the woman who gave it to me.

OK back on topic. I have a County Comm order coming up soon. I see Ti split rings in my future.

Grizz

13. EndlessFields
    • In Omnia Paratus

EndlessFields Loaded Pockets

Back to the original topic. How is well do the titanium split rings move back into place once you open them to slide something onto it? I heard somewhere that they always have a gap once you "split" them. Not as springy as regular steel ones.

As to the person who wanted a tungsten prybar/pocket tool. Read comments about how incredibly brittle tungsten carbide is. You'd snap it on the first use.

EDIT: rewatched video and caught bit about memory this time. Disregard post.

14. pike_mazter

pike_mazter Loaded Pockets

I bought all Ti split rings and replaced all the ones that I had previously bought that were blued. The bluing on the old ones had worn off over time. I have had the Ti split rings now for a few months and love them.

I have a tungsten wedding ring and love it. Before we bought it I did some research to make sure it was safe just in case. My lifestyle would damage any ring but this thing still doesn't have a scratch on it. Just after our wedding I was washing my hands and accidently flung it off throwing it into a large rock and bouncing off into the grass. It took me a few minutes to find it and when I did it was scratch-less.