1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Review: Titanium Split Rings

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by tonester, Sep 12, 2011.

1. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

just did a video review of some titanium split rings from countycomm.com. so far im really liking them. check out the video and please sub if you like my channel! i got a 50 sub contest coming later this week, just waiting for the prizes to show up in my mail box!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJwdAU70Qu8

[​IMG]

2. Tron

Tron Loaded Pockets

been meaning to scoop some of these up.. nice review!

3. bunnywunny1

bunnywunny1 Loaded Pockets

Cool I have no idea these existed, I will have to pick up a few!

4. darth_guy101

darth_guy101 Loaded Pockets

Not trying to be a little troll, but why? Are the fractions of ounces of steel split rings too much weight? Or is it some kind of titanium "cool factor"?

5. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

It's definitely just because im in love with anything Ti. I mention that in my video, didn't get them to save weight, got them cause I love Ti.

6. jalal20

jalal20 Loaded Pockets

good review

7. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

I've been trying to figure this out for ages, but I still don't understand people's fascinations with titanium.

8. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

haha i dont even understand! ive even have Ti gauges and piercings. i mean im not just about Ti to the point where i only buy and recommend Ti. steel is definitely better than Ti for many different applications. but when i can get Ti, i'll definitely get it!

9. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

But why waste the money on it if it doesn't do the job significantly better than any other material??

10. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

like i said i dont understand, i just love the look and feeling of it. there are some applications that Ti can be a better material used rather than steel.

11. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

TWSS
    Like what?

12. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

i would say for instance pocket tools carried on the keychain. i can really tell the difference in weight between my steel tools and Ti ones. its nice to save on weight without having to compromise strength. also i think the titanium famelock is one of the best and safest locking mechanisms out there. almost all of my hard use folders are Ti framelocks. i think thats another instance where you save on weight but do not compromise strength.

13. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

I guess I can understand that, but why people pay a pretty penny for a lil keychain tool is beyond me *cough* Atwood! *cough*

14. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

I can add one reason why I personally like Titanium in certain items. I wear several items on a chain around my neck, almost every waking moment. Not only does every ounce (or fraction of an ounce) make a big difference, but since I live in Phoenix and the items are against my skin, the rust-resistance of the Ti is a big deal.

Tim

15. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

Lol, it's a disease I tell ya!

16. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

The only cure is more cowbell. And NO, not a titanium cowbell!

17. Sushi

Sushi Loaded Pockets

There are two reasons that I seek Ti products. One is functional (lighter, stronger, etc.). The other is a matter of aesthetics. For example, I find that Ti hardware is quieter in my pocket than many Al, plastic or Steel alternitives. I also like the feel in some cases. When it comes to my Ti chopsticks and waterbottle, I also find that the Ti does not add tastes or retain flavors like plastics, Al or steel does. And, in some cases I think because the Ti last longer it actually is a money saver.

I suspect that a lot of people who "just like" their titanium trinkets upon further reflection would agree that the aesthetic differences are important to them.

18. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

I MIGHT be willing to pay (not even "more", since regular split rings are practicaly free) for Titanium split rings, if they were very very thin and still as strong as steel... These rings looks exactly like the regular ones.

Ti to the edc industry is like carbon-fiber... and i'll say nothing more. :)

Also - I'll give my moneys to anyone who would make a prybar/wrench/bottle-opener thingy out of Tungsten... this will be something worth paying for.
    This is why:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDlRqIZH7Js

19. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

It's okay. I'm the same way with copper, bronze, and brass. It's this fascination that I just don't understand, but I'm definitely hooked.

20. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

this is why Tungsten is a terrible metal for wedding bands. In case of accident, you lose your finger instead of just cutting off the ring. I do however have a Ti wedding band that may one day get cut off in the ER. So far it is awesome. It doesnt stain or react to corrosive chemicals I use on my cars and guns. It doesn't stain. Its light and its strong. I got my finger slammed in a car door and it hurt but the Ti ring saved me a LOT of pain and it is still perfectly round. Because of Ti's great properties I never take the ring off, so I don't lose it. Also, Ti is very allergy friendly. Besides, with my ability to break or lose stuff... gold, platinum, even silver... I cant afford to buy new ones every other week.