1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

REVIEW: The 4Sevens Titanium Tactical Pen

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by Rolex John, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Rolex John

Rolex John Banned

2. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

Excellent review. I just don't get this pen. 4Sevens is all about innovation, but all I see here is emulation. They took Titaner's design, made it smaller and "fixed some annoying problems" with it (according to David), and are charging a $30 premium over the original Titaner pen?

I mean, for less money I could get the Titaner pen, or I could get an American-made titanium Embassy Pen, either of which you could label as being more "tactical" than the 4Sevens pen. Both of those take the Space Pen refill (the Titaner takes a Parker refill but every Fisher SP refill is sold with a plastic Parker-style adapter). And there's also a new player on the solid pen market, the Render K, which doesn't come in titanium, but does offer a ridiculous number of refill options, from the Pilot Hi-Tec-C to the Parker refills to the Fisher SP refills. And you can get the aluminum version for $45.

Aside from the interchangeable tips I see absolutely nothing innovative about this pen. Though I do have to credit 4Sevens in one area: they ship the pen with the fine tip refill, which are much better than the medium tip ones that everyone else seems to ship their pens out with.

But you're right. "Tactical" is such a ridiculously overused term these days.

3. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review. I have one on the way, and this review confirms that it should be exactly what I want in a pen. I don't really want/need anything in a "tactical" pen for EDC use, and to me anyways, there is nothing "tactical" about this pen (except the name), and for that I am grateful. The $100 price turned me off a little as well, to date the most expensive pen I've bought is the CountyComm titanium embassy pen for $85+shipping, but I was able to find the Foursevens titanium pen for a street price of $81 shipped, and that was a lot easier for me to stomach.

I did look at the Titaner pen this is based off for $5-10 less, but for me the smaller size was worth a few extra dollars since the pen will be carried inside a pocket. My hands are a little on the smaller side, my glove size is somewhere between most medium and large gloves I buy, and if everything works out with it, this will probably replace the titanium Inka pen I carry in my pocket everyday (in a sleeve along with a ti Preon 1 and a ti AG Russell 3.0 penknife), yeah, I'm a sucker for titanium stuff. I like the Inka a lot, but use it mostly without putting it all together, and for that it is just a little too short. I'm not a huge fan of 4Sevens/Foursevens, but I do have a couple of their products and have been happy with them. I don't see this pen as anything innovative or tactical, I tend to not believe the hype/press on a lot of products, I just let the item speak for itself, it just seems to be a nice refinement of an existing product. I don't see myself buying any other tips for it, and if I get the chance, I'll try out the "glass breaker" tip on a car window sometime.

4. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

That's true, you can get it for much less. Going Gear is selling them for $90, and take off the 10% discount they offer that brings it down to $81. I'll probably pick up one of these pens for my collection at some point, but there is a big list of much more interesting pens in front of it. ;)

5. NeonLights

Yeah, that's where I got it from. Should be here either Saturday or Monday. I was glad to read in your previous post that it apparently ships with a fine black pen refill, as that is my preferred ink to use.

6. NeonLights

Mine arrived in the mail today. I haven't had the chance to seriously put it through its paces yet, but first impressions are positive. Very nicely made, I will definitely be carrying and using this pen a lot. I don't see any real personal need for either of the two optional tips for it that are available now, but it did hit me that a useful option would be to offer a tip that is 1/2" to 3/4"" long and slightly smaller diameter that would allow the cap to rest on the back of the pen. I'd pay $10 for that.

7. DrekThanos

DrekThanos Loaded Pockets

I got one right after Shot Show and have been using it as my EDC since then. I'm a huge fan.
    Like Neon, I have carried an Inka as well as a CC Embassy Pen. The embassy is massively too large and heavy for a pen I'm planning on using for more than making a quick note. If that's the application, the Inka is superior for the task. The 4/7s pen combines the best of both worlds with a reasonable weight and size which is enjoyable to use for an extended period.

I've handled a Titaner and while I prefer the parker refill, I don't appreciate the exaggerated size of the pen. It's just a bit much for any extended writing. YMMV

As to the tailpost for the cap, David has already begun work on one and it will be a doozy. Tritium plus tail posting. Mm-hmm.

8. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

For the cost I personally feel the pen to be overrated. At one time I did like the titaner pen but no more especially because of the two piece design. Have moved over to the single piece retractable Maxmadco pen.

--
    pl. excuse brevity & possible typos - sent from a tiny device.

9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

There appears to be a pattern in my preference for pens: stainless steel. I like the heft.

After carrying several Titanium pens that are so lightweight that I almost forget I have it, I prefer to know by the heft of it that I am carrying a pen. I carry each of my two EDC pens in its own leather pouch in each of my front trouser pockets. I prefer to not clip them to shirt or jacket pockets as a method to prevent losing them.

I also prefer a one-piece design. It seems that when I need to sign a document or quickly jot some notes, I discovered the two-piece models to be slow to deploy and therefore inconvenient.

I currently carry the Maxmadco and a discontinued Victorinox Mont Blanc-esque stainless steel model. Both feel substantial because each is full-sized and made of stainless steel.

This 4Sevens Ti Pen in Titanium appears to be well made; however, for me it is somewhat small. Being just over 4 inches and made of Titanium, it begins to wander into the disposable, innocuous, plastic Bic pen category; the primary reason I sought the heft of big, heavy pens.

As an EDC pen for those preferring a smaller, lighter footprint just to have it, it appears to excel; however, it also appears that it is not as small as the Ti Inka or nowhere as diminutive as the Pico.

So while it appears to be quite attractive to those wanting to add another Titanium gadget to their collection just to have it, it is much less so for those such as myself whom need to quickly and frequently use it.

10. edgedweapon88

edgedweapon88 Loaded Pockets

I have had my 4Sevens pen for about a month now and I really enjoy it. I am not a subscriber to the hole "tactical" craze but for what it is I think it does a great job. I have it slipped through the pen slot on my badge holder and it rides there around my neck every day at work. I wanted something small, lightweight, and nondescript - the 4Sevens pen does all those things to my liking. Overall, I am pleased but the price is a little high.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by edgedweapon88, Apr 22, 2012
  11. Rolex John

Rolex John Banned

Hey Edge!

I've actually discovered a pen which is both less expensive and superior in design than this pen - the Hinderer Investigator pen. It's about the same size (slightly longer) than the Foursevens pen, has the same Spacepen ink cartridge, and also has removable accessory tips. I'm working on a review right now, but for $60.00 in aluminum or stainless steel, you can't go wrong.

[​IMG]

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Clip mounted too high to provide a good enough grip on the pen when reaching for it under a stressful self-defense encounter. No threads or o-ring to help hold the cap in place. Once again, grab the pen for self-defense use, your adrenaline will be pumping. Death-grip on the pen, there goes the cap falling off. And that scalloped tactical tip is ridiculous. Also, too short in length. Normally I have a lot of respect for David, but the 4Sevens pen is about as useful for self-defense as a sleeping puppy.

Looks like a decent everyday pen though. Should be marketed as such.

mhphoto likes this.
  13. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

You hit the nail on the head.

I don't get where it's written into Pen Law that a solid metal pen has to be branded as a "tactical" pen. I love metal pens. They're robust and last a lifetime, but for me they're not for self defense. I still maintain that the whole idea of a "DNA Catcher" is idiotic. As if I'm want Jerry the Junky's AIDS all over me.

14. edgedweapon88

I agree. It is a great daily pen and it gets used a lot when I forget my other pens before I head off to a meeting. But in a "tactical" application it does not have the necessary features that will aid in its practical usability.

15. edgedweapon88

That is a nice looking pen. Whenever you finish the review I would be interested in hearing what you have to say. Thank you for the info and I will be sure to check it out!

16. DrekThanos

DrekThanos Loaded Pockets

I've carried and used the investigator and had a ton of problems with it.
    The shallow threading feels chintzy and unreliable, the minuscule clip is laughably ineffectual, and the aggressive machining means you either add o-rings to your pen or enjoy the sharp ridges pressed into your fingers while you write.
    Oh yea, the titanium version (if we're going to compare apples to apples here) is $200.
    So, no, not really feeling the investigator.

On the flip side, the points made about the 4/7s being a poor self defense pen are valid. I don't know why it's being marketed as a "tactical" pen other than that's the buzzword in the gadget industry. Witness the description for the SOTech brand Go-Bag where the sling strap is "tactically worn over one shoulder."
    It should have simply been the EDC Pen and left at that. It's a great size, lightweight, and no frills. I like titanium and I've got enough of it on my other gear that I'd like my pen to match. So I prefer the titanium. And at this price point, the 4/7s is the best fit for what I'm going for, although I am considering the Titaner pen for a trial run. We'll see.

17. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Thanks.. I read this thread with interest. Not liking capped pens that much and preferring retractables
    the Maxmadco sure looks like a winner. Is it solid stainless steel that it weighs 1.7oz ? I'm currently using a Michaels Fatboy that weight about 1.6 oz, it's a large diameter of aluminum.

I was also following with interest the Clicky Pen Project on Kickstarter which is a long retractable aluminum
    pen. The ridged grips on it are said to be comfortable without o-rings. (unlike the Investigator which looks painful).

18. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Yes, the Maxmadco Pen is 1.75 ozs or 49.6116 grams.