1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Review: Opinel No. 6 in carbon steel

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by sungame, Jun 19, 2012.

1. thwippa
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

Haven't looked at any Opis in a while now, are colored handles readily available?

2. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

^^^ The relatively new No 8 Outdoor with 2.5 mm (0.10") thick, 12C27 Sandvik blade, "space age" plastic handle. Blade is partially serrated. Four handle colors. A departure from their traditional wood handles.

And a selection of wood handles that offer different "colors" ... walnut, ebony, oak, olive, rosewood.

opie2.jpg

opie1.jpg

3. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Where I live, the wood swells and they become difficult to open or close. That is kind of a deal breaker on the wood handeld type. I haven't tried the exotic wood versions.

4. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

I bought mine about a year ago at the local Opinel/Victorinox/Spyderco/Cold Steel/... distributor. They had them in yellow and pink too if I remember correctly. There is now a line of new colours out in the European market, I'm not sure about the US.

[​IMG]

5. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

Here is a picture of my #6. I added a lanyard and sanded down all of the edges of the handle. It's not my EDC go-to knife, but it does see pocket time.

[​IMG]

Tony Sal likes this.
  6. NecroDemon

NecroDemon Loaded Pockets

A very good review.

7. WWW

WWW Loaded Pockets

Fantastic review sir!! You've made some really good point there. I have my eyes on the brazilian rosewood Nº6 and maybe a keychain Nº2 or 4.

8. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Like said before, yes the blades get increasingly thicker for the larger knives, tho not by much. Im afraid i cant say anything about the bendyness on carbon vs ss tho, the closest comparison i have i a No8 SS and a No9 Carbon and they feel sort of equally bendy so that might be due to the thinner SS being stiffer but i think its just cuz its pretty difficult to feel the difference in the first place.

Do keep in mind that the bending of the blade is not a bad thing! Its just a matter of design and material and depends from person to person if they prefer this. If you want to use your knife as a pry-bar (what btw you should NEVER do, the pry-bar was invented for a reason) then an Opinel is obviously not the best choice. If you want a dirty cheap, frekishly sharp knife for.... let say, cutting things then Opinels are hard to beat!

Bending does NOT equal bad when talking knives, in fact if you look at the opposite end of the scale (breaking) then its actually better and safer in each and every way. Everyone who has ever witnessed shattering steel (which for some reason ALWAYS ends up in someone's eye or elsewhere) will agree to this. Also when cutting hard fruit would you prefer the point of your knife bending a little bit or would you like it snapping off ending up in your food/stomach?

9. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

A design doesn't persist this long unless it has enduring value and function. I like the simplicity of the knife and the beauty of the wood vs. manmade scales. Thanks for the great review.

Tony Sal likes this.
  10. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I would say that a bendy knife blade is not necessarily only a bad thing. A bendy blade has its strengths and weaknesses, just as a stiffer blade has. Therefore, I totally agree that whether you prefer a thin, bendy blade or a thicker stiffer one is mostly a matter of personal taste, although what you use your knife for does matter as well.

I never use my knives as pry bars unless I absolutely have to, and for most EDC tasks, the thin blade of the Opinel #6 works just fine. However, as mentioned in the OP, i find the blade just a little too pliable for whittling or any other form of wood working. This is not something I do often with an EDC blade, but I do still prefer a knife that works just a little better for these tasks. All in all, my conclusion still stands: The Opinel #6 is a quite decent EDC folder, and impossible to beat at that price point. However, I do believe that with a slightly thicker or stiffer blade and tighter tolerances, it would be just about perfect.

11. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

@ WWW and powerring: Thanks a lot!