1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Review: Mystery Ranch Booty Bag – Dana Gleason’s Hidden Gem?

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by PiterM, May 30, 2014.

1. PiterM

PiterM Loaded Pockets

(disclaimer: it's my personal opinion & review made for MOTUS WORLD outdoor enthusiasts group, based om my own expirience. I purchased it from MR for my private use.)

Let’s admit it. We all like tactical stuff that is full of features and made to military standards, right? Well, I for one certainly do. If that’s the case, then why would I care about something like the Mystery Ranch Booty Bag? There are many reasons! It’s an absolutely brilliant bag, made to Mystery Ranch standards, and the usability is beyond your imagination.

[​IMG]

Let’s start with the basics and take a look at the construction. The Mystery Ranch Booty Bag has been made of a medium, thick weight Cordura. It appears to be 500 den, which is strong, waterproof, and also easy to clean. The design is simple. It’s a 11 liter sack made of one big piece of Cordura stitched to the back panel and then trimmed at the top with nylon webbing tape.

[​IMG]

There are two adjustable shoulder straps that are quite broad and layered for comfort. They also act as a closure device. Put the Booty Bag on your back and it’s closed. It’s as simple as that. The back panel has two layers of Cordura with a foam stiffener in between them which helps keep the pack’s shape regardless of whether it’s full or empty. This also helps prevent heavy and hard-edged loads, like a dozen bottles of Samuel Adams, from poking and jabbing you in the back. Not a bad feature, right?

[​IMG]

Inside the Booty Bag you’ll find an internal storage zippered pocket. It’s quite generous in size, but not too big. This pocket is just right for a wallet, cell phone, keys and a few other small items. Your every day carry pocketknife fits in there as well. In my case, it’s a Chris Reeves’ Sebenza. The Booty Bag also has a nice two-piece handle for easily hand carrying the bag located on top of the pack.

[​IMG]

The Mystery Ranch Booty Bag is available in all of our favorite tactical colors (Coyote, Foliage, and Multicam), but there are also more social-friendly options like green and teal. The only downside is the lack of any morale patch panel. While it doesn’t impact the usability of the Booty Bag, nevertheless it would be nice to have even a small one. Who wouldn’t like to stick a cool patch on the bag while heading to local grocery? (Dana, I have one special request. Please add a patch panel in Booty Bag V2.0!) However, since there is plenty of space for it, I think I’ll just stitch a piece of loop onto it myself.

This pack, albeit simple, is all about the fine details. Take the shoulder straps for example. They’re multi-layered with soft mesh on the inside for carrying comfort. They feature nylon tape trimming on the sides for an extra long life. They have milspec tape for adjustment, which is attached with two rows of self-locking stitching. The bottom attachment points are reinforced with additional Cordura ‘wings’. It’s a simple feature that works really well. And you can find this feature also on other tip quality bags, so it’s not just for looks.

The internal compartment of the Booty Bag features a heavy-duty YYK zipper. The stitching on the bag is just as good as all the other packs in the Mystery Ranch product range. It’s thick, strong, and self-locking – perfect! On top of that, all the materials used in the bag – including the tapes, buckles, and thread – are high quality and designed for long-life service. All of this, backed by a lifetime warranty and Mystery Ranch’s legendary quality, starting at under 50 bucks? Yes! It’s impressive, don’t you think?

[​IMG]

Now let’s take a look at how I’ve used in the real world. Whether it be shopping with style, hunting vegetables, or tracking the kids, I’ve been using my Booty Bag on many ‘local missions’ for many months now. I can say without a doubt it’s been a really handy bag for all non-tactical everyday activities.

First of all, the Booty Bag has quickly become my favorite grocery bag. There is nothing like daily hunting for milk, bread & fresh vegetables with a Mystery Ranch on your back. It’s also perfect for barbecues with friends. Grab your Booty, drop in a couple of pounds of beef, some bacon, cold beers, and a fleece shirt for cooler evening temperatures and you’re ready to go!

Heading out with the kids to the park or a half-day walk in the woods? The Booty Bag is all you need. Load it up with your Klean Kanteen, a couple of sandwiches, an extra layer for the kids, compact camera, cellphone, some 8×30 Steiner binoculars and you’re all set. There is even enough space for a compact stove, instant soup and a metal cup for an emergency hot meal for kids in case they get hungry.

[​IMG]

At the end of the day, with a jacket stuffed inside, the Mystery Ranch Booty Bag can also be used as a pillow. My 3-years-old son loves to rest on it in the middle of the forest and to listen to the sounds of nature. It seems like the bird’s song is his favorite music. He must have inherited my rambling gene!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Mystery Ranch Booty Bag has been incredibly useful. I’ve used it to carry loads of up to 20 beers, to bring wood slivers and twigs from the woodshed to my cabin to start the fire, and just about anything else I can think of. It really is a multi-task bag! The Booty Bag is also very easy to wash and clean, which is why I’m not afraid to use it for virtually anything! I would think twice before stuffing my beloved Mystery Ranch ASAP with resin-covered twigs, but I didn’t think twice about using my Booty Bag for that since it’s durable and easy to care for.

[​IMG]

While the bag in itself maybe awesome, the ultimate test is carry comfort. Since the bag is pretty basic there isn’t anything ultra technical about it. However, the mesh-inlaid straps and foam-filled back panel offer a surprising level of comfort for what it is. I was really amazed how nicely the Booty Bag rides on my back. When walking, running, or playing with dog and kids, the Booty Bag is nice and comfortable. Of course I’m referring to fairly light loads in these situations. I’m not jogging with 20 beers on my back for God’s sake! There are certain rules that have to be followed when carrying precious cargo such as cold, frosty brews.

[​IMG]

In conclusion, the Mystery Ranch Booty Bag is a great pack and I need to buy at least two more. Yes, AT LEAST two! I want one to put in the trunk of my 4×4 and always keep it handy and the second one for use at my country cabin. Oh, well … maybe I should get a third one for the wife as well. Now think about your friends. With a moderate price tag (remember you’re buying Mystery Ranch quality), it makes a perfect gift for anyone who enjoys outdoor life. In my humble opinion, Dana Gleason has created a small gem without even knowing it … or who knows, maybe they knew it all along in Bozeman!

What is good:
    - high quality materials
    - superb manufacturing, attention to details
    - very utilitarian design, clean and simple, easy to clean
    - great price for the quality you get
    - non-tactical look

What I'd improve:
    - velcro patch panel please!!!

[​IMG]

THE END :)

2. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

PiterM - Thank you for your excellent review, high quality photos, and pictures of your super cute kid and that gorgeous Shepard. I'm a fan of the breed (can you tell?). Mine was named Wolfgang, but the kids called him "Woofie". He protected me and attacked on command even though I never trained him to do so! Woofie passed away years ago and now I have a cat...not quite the same but I love him anyway. But I digress...the MR bag looks great!

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I’m thinking … I’d like to get an ASAP or 3DAP for geocaching, but they’re expensive. And I need something to transport climbing gear for geocaching … where the rope is the bulkiest and heaviest single item (60 m of 10 mm static rope) at the moment, then a climbing harness, plus hardware of all kinds … could become more. Would you say I could put the climbing gear in the Booty Bag and carry it comfortably?

4. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Prices removed (two small instances), to bring post in line with rule 12. Otherwise, great review @PiterM! :)

5. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

imho it sounds too small for all your gear...maybe you should look at the new 3 way briefcase expandable from mystery ranch...

6. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Great review of a pretty cool looking bag, I love your German Sheperd though, s/he is gorgeous

one question too - what is in your thigh pocket, in the pic showing the bag on your back ? is it a Chris Reeve Aviator/Shadow hollow handle knife ?

Cobra 6 Actual and AK Adventurer like this.
  7. PiterM

PiterM Loaded Pockets

@batteur -> I'd be too small I'm affraid, you're looking for 25+ L pack.

@echo63 -> it's a Chris Reeve Ubejane knife, which I reshaped, and Chris liked the design enough to refine it for me, refinish and sharpen in his shop. So it's kind of 1-off colab. I named it SCOUT:

[​IMG]

8. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

thats a very nice looking knife - i can hear my wallet crying now (i have wanted a Shadow3 or Aviator for quite a while, but i can never find one when i can afford it)

9. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

So, I'm reading this review and I realize several things.

First, PiterM can really write a review. Second, that is a fantastic looking dog. Third, even Joost or KetchupGun would think these are great photos. And, forth, this MR bag is way nicer than my MAXp RollyPolly backpack; the straps on that stink to high Heaven.

And then I learn one more thing in post two... GearHeavy feels the same way.:D

10. Firemission

Firemission Loaded Pockets

Nice review. The pack strikes me as being a little similar to the MR Street Fighter which is now discontinued. And I agree it would be nice to see a patch of velcro for morale patches and such.

11. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Good review! You might have just talked me into getting one!
    A pretty good acomplishment; I don't EDC bags at all, and rarely use one hiking etc... but for times when I do, this is what I like, and have been looking for. Simple, sturdy, and non tacticool.. And Cheap[in cost] ;)

Have you had this thing out in any kind of rain? :)

The only problem i can see with the design is with no top flap of any kind, its probably gonna get Wet inside the top pretty fast in a moderate rain...

12. PiterM

PiterM Loaded Pockets

I'd not use it in rain (except very light summer rain). It's not designed for that.

13. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Hmm, well, unfortunetally rain tends to happen when your not expecting it and miles from another pack...

Maybe I could make a short flap for the top... the pack looks 100% perfect for my use otherwise.. :cool:

14. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

bag companies are like movie companies...everybody seems to come up with the same idea just different actors..this is the new trail pack from topo...its 500d with a lid and drawstring closure and laptop sleeve...it comes in 3 colors...navy/red/sand...

[​IMG]red topo by ibescottfree, on Flickr

15. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Great bag review and AWESOME photos! Oh yeah, cute kid and dog, too. :p

16. PA_2A

PA_2A Empty Pockets

I've been thinking lately that I'm tired of all the little pockets in my current packs. I like to organize the pack with smaller pouches inside the main compartment and the outside pockets go to waste. I just ordered this bag as soon as I saw the review. Looks great. Great review and pics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

Fantastic review! Never even noticed this bag before, but it looks great! :D

18. PA_2A

PA_2A Empty Pockets

Just found out that this bag is sold out in coyote! It won't be available until mid august. Guess I'll keep the order open so I get it as soon as it's available. Was hoping to test it on my vacation but it wasn't meant to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Just externally, this bag looks alot like an upgraded military flight helmet bag: better materials, slightly smaller, shoulder straps added. As several have noted the price seems pretty reasonable, too. (Military flight helmet bags are usually in the $20 to $30 range.) Thanks, OP! Nice review!

20. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

I like this bag in coyote as well!

vinniec5 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.