1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Review - Maxpedition Toadstool

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Lou3, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Lou3

Lou3 Loaded Pockets

I ordered what is probably one of the last new khaki Toadstools available, and it arrived today. I haven't had a chance to use it, but here's my initial impression. I'll try to post pictures later.

Approximate Dimensions (HxWxD)
    main compartment 9 1/2" x 7" x 3"
    front compartment 7" x 5 1/2" x 1"
    (1" = 2.54 cm)

Construction
    The exterior is constructed of handsome and rugged Teflon-treated nylon. The stitching is heavy duty and straight, and the attachment hardware is tough black plastic. There are no loose threads, frayed fabric, or any other imperfections. All hardware and fabric is sturdy and of good quality. With the exception of the lock button mentioned below, nothing seems prone to breakage.

Main compartment
    The easiest way to describe the interior of the main compartment is to say that it's lined with a sewn-in drawstring pouch. The top of the pouch extends about two inches beyond the compartment and folds down into the compartment. Although the compartment's three-sided cover does a good job of closing the compartment, the drawstring lining is a welcome bit of extra protection for your stuff. There's a slot pocket that runs the width of the front of the compartment, and the same on the rear. The compartment is surrounded by thin, substantial padding that doesn't significantly subtract from the bag's capacity. The lid closes via a sturdy plastic buckle that even has a lock button. I can't imagine how the buckle could be accidentally unlatched, which makes me wonder if the lock button is at best overkill and at worst something to break. It's a minor consideration and probably irrelevant since I don't expect to use the lock. The bottom half of the buckle is attached to a strap that can be pulled to adjust the lid's tightness.

I'll use this compartment for a book, notebook, and pencil.

Front compartment
    The front compartment opens via a zipper that runs around the sides and top. There's one slot pocket for basic organization. I would have liked to see the pocket have at least a stitched-off section for a pen. And since it's a Maxpedition product, a separate space for something like a folding knife or small flashlight would have been fitting. Not a big deal since many of these items have pocket clips, but dedicated sections would still be nice.

I'll use this compartment for EDC items like a multitool, flashlight, compass, mints, Ibuprofen, etc.

Exterior
    The rear of the exterior has a slot pocket. The sides and rear have nylon straps running horizontally and sewn into segments of about an inch. I'm not sure how I'd use these, but I assume they serve a purpose. The top of the lid has a nylon handle that runs from front to back. The shoulder strap is adjustable, attaches via pivoting clips, and has a nice shoulder pad with rubber on the underside to prevent it from sliding off your shoulder (my biggest peeve with my last shoulder bag).

I debated whether I should spend more than double the price of most shoulder bags of this size and material, but I'm glad I did. This is an excellent bag that will last a very long time and suits my needs perfectly. I can't wait to take it for a spin tomorrow.

Kudos to Botach Tactical for being about the only place that still had a khaki in stock, and for the flawless service. (I have no relation with Botach.)

2. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Glad you like the Toadstool. The arrangement of horizontal nylon straps you described is known as PALS webbing. You can attach other compatible pouches to the Toadstool via this webbing and simple plastic straps sold by Maxpedition called Malice Clips.

Another example is shown here.

You can even attach the Toadstool to a backpack using the PALS webbing on the back of the Toadstool.

3. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

You can also use MOLLE straps if you have some of those laying around, like some earlier generation Maxpedition stuff (Proteus in particular). My Toadstool actually came with MOLLE straps, so I guess I save a few on MALICE clips...

4. Lou3

Lou3 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the explanation of the PALS webbing and MALICE clips. Being able to attach a wallet-sized pouch could come in handy. In fact, being able to attach the Toadstool to a weekend travel bag could come in even handier. Back to the Maxpedition site. :highfive: Not that it's like me to let one piece of gear turn into three.;)

5. Splusmer

Splusmer Empty Pockets

I like my pockets/pouches/small bags with the built in MOLLE straps better in some ways than the MALICE clips. MALICE clips can attach a bag really firmly semi-permanently, but if you think you'll want to be putting it on and taking it off regularly, they are a pain to deal with (and can't be removed in seconds--it's going to take a few minutes, and you'll probably need a tool to do it). I have an older Maxpedition M-5 pouch and some clones of the Spec-Ops Brand pocket organizer that have attached MOLLE straps with snaps on them, and those are a lot handier for quick removal from a larger bag (but aren't as solid an attachment as a MALICE clip, as the snaps can pop loose more easily).

6. Lou3

Lou3 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like MOLLE straps are what I want.

7. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

[mo]Moved, with a bump.
    :db:
    - bruner[/mo]