1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Review - Kershaw Knife - "Scallion" (pics and movie)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by bruner, Jul 4, 2006.

1. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

I've previously posted this on candlepowerforums and bladeforums, but wanted to repost it here so that I might reach more people that are interested.

I found this lovely little knife at Walmart for about $35.

[​IMG]

It's a Kershaw knife designed by Ken Onion called the "Scallion". It has an assisted open feature which Kershaw calls "Speed Safe". Speed safe works like this. Once you take the safety off, you simply begin to open the knife from the back side with your index finger pushing on the back of the blade. Once it is a few degrees open, the tortion bar kicks in and throws the knife into the fully open position.

Here's a movie:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=MuO-SGKtZ5o

The knife remains locked in the open position until you push the locking liner aside and close it. Once closed, you can slide the little safety button (located on the back or clip side of the knife at the bottom) in and it won't accidently open when in your pocket.

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking,
    Dan

2. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Re: Kershaw Knife - "Scallion" mini-review with pics and movie.

The movie is a nice touch. Have you ever had problems with the safety disengaging when you tried to open it?

-LT

3. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Thanks,

Gotta love youtube...

To answer your question. The safety looks a bit dodgey, but seems to work perfectly fine. It's only a small piece of plastic which slides back and forth on a slot, held in place by what appears to be a small torx screw. I keep wondering if it will eventually need tightened or adjusted, but so far, no adjustments have been necessary.

I like it.

Dan

4. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

I have a kershaw ken onion chive and blackout. this one appears to be inbetween in size but the same shape. i love the chive and blackout, love that auto assist.

5. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

I had a Centofantane (sp) version that would disengage no matter the position of the safety. My other Kershaws didn't have this problem.

-LT

6. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

You do a great review. I appreciate the video. Very clear and all about business. I actually wish that Kershaw made more of thier Ken Onion designs without AO. But that's just me.

7. tarrigoni

tarrigoni Empty Pockets

My Scallion is my EDC right now. I have the one with a grippy handle and a serrated, polished blade. I love it.

I'm a really big fan of the Speed Safe system. I see no need for an auto knife when the speed safe is both A) legal and B) just as fast.

8. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

It's funny how many people have asked me if this is a "leagle" knife (not in this forum, but others). Assisted open seams difficult for some people to understand... I just can't figure out why auto knifes are still under prohabiton. Silly to me, just don't get it... Way back in the 50's, switchblades were associated with trouble-makers... It's way out-dated in today's world.

Dan

9. tarrigoni

tarrigoni Empty Pockets

yeah.. it seems that whenever I whip it out people ask me if it's legal to have a switchblade and then I have to explain to them what it is. It gets kind of annoying.