1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Review - Kershaw Knife 1710 (with lots of pics and a video)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by bruner, Jul 4, 2006.

1. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

I've previously posted this on candlepowerforums and bladeforums, but wanted to repost it here so that I might reach more people that are interested.

Here's a great pocket knife from Kershaw and I found it at Walmart for about $10. It's the Kershaw 1710, a lock-back folder which is about 3-1/8" closed and about 5-12" when open. The sharp part of the blade is about 2-3/8". It has a small hole which I believe came with a small split ring for attaching to a keychain. I'm not sure if it came with a split ring, as if it did, I removed it early on and I've had the knife for several weeks and can't remember.

Anyhow, I'm very impressed with how well it is made. I don't know what type of steel is used in the blade, but the handle is zytel, which I prefer over plain plastic. The handle is textured in a way that makes it very easy to grip.

Here are some photos...

Front Closed:
    [​IMG]

Back Closed:
    [​IMG]

Front Open:
    [​IMG]

Back Open:
    [​IMG]

Front Side Open:
    [​IMG]

Back Side Open:
    [​IMG]

Now the reason I included a video (and it's not the greatest of quality, sorry) is that this knife can be easily opened and closed with one hand. It's a matter of holding it properly, "flicking" it with your wrist and pressing down on the lock back with your index finger at just the right time. I can't describe properly how pleasing it is to do this. The blade really makes a good "snap" sound when you get good at it (no sound on the video, again sorry).

HERE is a link to my video.

I have a very modest collection of knives started and I have to say that this one finds itself in my pocket an awful lot of the time.

My review is very basic and covers the "bells and whistles" that I find so pleasing. There is, however, a much more detailed review (on bladeforums) of this knife by a fellow with a fine knife vocabulary.

HERE is a link to that review.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Thanks for looking,
    Dan

2. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Re: Kershaw Knife - 1710 Mini Review (with lots of pics and a video)

I have one of these and think its a great little EDC knife. It's along the lines of a Gerber LST - no frills, just a good knife. Thanks for the pics and the vid! :)

3. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

No problem,

Glad you like it.

:)

Dan

4. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Great example of flicking open a lockback. O0

5. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

As Elvis might have said, "Thank you, thank you very much" ;)

I'm a closet mall ninja ;)

6. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Here is something I added recently to this knife, since it has no clip and is strictly for pocket carry:
    [​IMG]

It's one of those little "photon-like" lights that LightHound always throws in when you order something from him. It's a heck of a bright little light and I like the feature that let's you "snap" the light on into continuouse mode, so you don't have to keep squeezing it.

Some more pics:
    [​IMG]

Defensive mode?? Doubt you could blind an attacker, but at least the knife is ready ;) :
    [​IMG]

Dan