1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Review - Kershaw E.T. (External Toggle) (pic heavy w/video)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by bruner, Aug 29, 2006.

1. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

My interest in knives is purely mechanical and you can hardly get a more mechanicaly interesting knife than the Kershaw E.T.

Here are the spec's for the hard-core knife people:

The model I have is the 1900 (model 1900SE has an edge that is partially serated).

Steel: Sandvick 13C25 Stainless Steel with bead blasted finish.

Handle: 6061 T6 Anodized Aluminum

Blade Length: 3-1/4"

Closed: 4-3/4"

Weight: 3.7 ounces

Pictures are worth a thousand words (click any image to view the full size image)...

Knife closed, front view:
    [​IMG]

Knife closed, rear view:
    [​IMG]

Knife open, front view:
    [​IMG]

Knife open, rear view:
    [​IMG]

Close-Up of kife locking mechanism:
    [​IMG]

Close-Up of carabiner clip/bottle opener:
    [​IMG]

Close-Up of carabiner clip/bottle opener held open:
    [​IMG]

Close-Up of pocket clip:
    [​IMG]

Knife in partially open position:
    [​IMG]

I have cut myself no less than 4 times with this knife (once through the band-aid of a previous injury). It's an easy thing to do, as this knife begs to be played with and the blade is as sharp as a razor...

One of the most popular methods of opening this knife requires you to put your thumb in a dangerous location. Trust me, after a few shots of bourbon, you should not play with this knife... The following two pictures show just how close your thumb is in relation to the tip of the blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are very few gripping points available on this knife. This picture illustrates those points:
    [​IMG]

This is what you get from Kershaw when you order this knife:
    [​IMG]

It's interesting that they include a mini-CD that contains a video of how to properly use the knife (yes, it's that complicated). Fear not though, I'm sure any EDCF member can figure it out. It's a ton of fun, but be careful, that blade is SHARP (expect to blead a little)!!!

Here is a picture showing how it might be carried on a belt loop:
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture showing how it might be carried using the pocket clip (I prefer using the carabiner clip on a belt loop, as shown in the previous image):
    [​IMG]

Here is the video that I made with my digital camera (no sound), it shows a few different options for opening the knife. There are other options, but I'm not a Mall Ninja (just a wanna-be Mall Ninja) ;). It may take a bit of time to load, it's a bit of a large file...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvT1khQ8z2k

Any question, I'll be happy to try and answer.

Thanks for looking,
    Dan
    :)

PS. I found mine for about $54 (pluss shipping) at Smokey Mountain Knife Works (much better than the suggested retail price of $99... Shop around, you may find a better deal.

EDITED 08/30/06 to correct spelling.

2. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Re: Kershaw E.T. (External Toggle) Mini-Review (pic heavy w/video)

I always liked that knife. I really want one now. It looks like fun. Have you nicked yourself yet?

3. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

That knife is just too much fun to use. I must have flipped it open a hundred times! :laugh: I guess I should buy my own now... :lolhammer:

4. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Cut myself two times on the first night. Second cut got me right through the band aid from the previous cut... In the following weeks, I must have cut myself at least two (maybe three) other times. I'm pretty safe with it now :)

Dan

5. JimH

JimH Empty Pockets

I just got mine today. What's the record from out of the box to cutting yourself. I made it almost 30 seconds. It happended the second time I flipped it closed. In the two hours I've had it, I've managed to open and close it at least 50 times without further carnage. However after watching bruner's video numerous times I have yet to get a handle on the one hand open/close.

Boy, this is one neat knife - it scores a 10 on my fun-o-meter. ;D However, it also scores a 10 on the likely-to-injure-yourself scale. [​IMG]

6. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I heard that there are different ways to open and close it as well.

Another question. Is it possible to master an opening method to minimize cutting yourself. Like with a balisong. Of course play with knives, you are going to get cut eventually, but I would like to know if I buy this, will I always be cut.

Maybe they should make a trainer version of this. :)

7. JimH

JimH Empty Pockets

You won't "always be cut", but I think that it is inevitable that you will be cut sooner or later - probably sooner. There is just no way to truely appreciate this knife until you have been bit. A trainer version is a great idea, but where is the fun if there is no risk. [​IMG]

8. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

That's funny :laugh:

I think you beat my record.

I've got it down now. I don't fear cutting myself anymore with it. It just has a of a learning curve... All the cuts I received were very small "nibbles" on my thumb mostly. It's too bad that it would be difficult to disassemble/reassemble, because your idea of a trainer blade is a good one.

Dan

9. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Is it possible to open it by brushing against your leg, much as oppening a zippo lighter? That would be cool (and gross-motor-skilled)!

10. Ging

Ging Empty Pockets

I really like the ET it is an amazing peice of knife engineering, I would love to play with one ;D

11. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

You can open the ET by striking the end of it (the little thumb nub) off of anything as long as you hold it properly and nothing interupts the opening of the blade. I have done if off my shoe (safer than the thigh). You can close it that way too, but again, if you try to close it on your thigh or any other soft body part in this manner, you are SERIOUSLY risking an injury.

I've only been nibbled at by the tip of this knife. I don't ever want to have the full length of the blade slash me :nervous:

Dan

12. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

Great! Another knife I have to buy :). I was not sure I wanted it until I saw the video. Very, very cool.

13. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Thanks man,

I had fun putting that vidoe together :)

Check SMKW (smokey mountian knife works). That's where I found the best price.

Dan

14. kingoftf

kingoftf Empty Pockets

I´ve got mine from ebay, 53 Dollar, even with shipping from USA to Tenerife half the price than here.

http://stores.ebay.de/Great-Knives-Great-Prices

Very good quality and very sharp

Time from first use till first cut around 30 seconds.......

15. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Hi kingoftf,

First off, welcome to EDCF!

Hey, 30 seconds isn't so bad. If it wasn't against the rules to form new "guilds", we could start a "Kershaw ET Bloodbrother Guild" ;)

Seems like we've all had minor injuries from this little toy.

I still love mine though.

Dan

16. mut

mut Empty Pockets

I have been wanting to get one of them since I found out that Kershaw bought the rights from G&G Hawk.
    Can anyone tell me how long they are compared to the originals?
    You can leave it unloced and when you pull it out of you pocket it works a lot like a wave.

mut

17. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Interesting!

It will work like a waved blade (sort of). It's tricky to get the pocket clip unclipped and then determine where to grip the handle, but each time I pull it out, it catches and opens, just like a wave would.

I could see getting pretty good at that with some practice, but a word of warning... This almost works too good. A couple of times I didn't think it opened and it did.

Thanks mut for finding a new way for us to cut ourselves with this thing ;)

Dan

18. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

I have one of these and it always seems to bite me. Either it pinches during open/close or the tip tries to nick me closing it with the little doodad at the end. I like the looks and mechanism but EDC, not very likely.

-LT

19. moeman

moeman Loaded Pockets

thanks alot bruner!

i had to get one.....

20. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

No problem.

I'm here to help/hinder ;)

Dan

:)

PS. That's odd, but I looked at my original post and some of my imageshack images aren't showing up. Hopefuly, it is just a temporary glitch with imageshack.