1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Review: Husky Precision Screwdrivers Standard/Phillips and Torx®

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by mrichelo, Jun 4, 2009.

1. mrichelo

mrichelo Loaded Pockets

This is my review of the Husky 8-in-1 Precision Screwdriver - Phillips and Slotted and Husky 8-In-1 Precision Screwdriver, both are available from The Home Depot or your local Home Depot store.

Both tools are identical in design. Each one comes with 4 double ended bits. The Home Depot site claims the bits are made of S2 steel. Each bit is stamped with the size info. The bits store in the handle which contains a removable plastic separator that has spaces for 3 of the bits. They are about 5 1/2" long and about 7/8" in diameter at the widest part, the cap.

The Standard/Phillips screwdriver comes with:
    Phillips sizes:
    Slotted sizes:
    1/16 In.
    5/64 In.
    3/32 In.
    1/8 In.

The Torx® model comes with:
    T4
    T5
    T6
    T7
    T8
    T9
    T10
    T15

What can I say about them? They are screwdrivers. They seem to be pretty well made. They are perfect for the EDC bag, B.O.B., car kit, etc. Both models are really handy to have around. I purchased the Torx® model first to use for all the bits on my knife clips. After using it for a little while, and liking how handy it is to have around I went back and got the Standard/Phillips model. They sell for around $6. They make a great addition to an EDC toolkit.

Pictures include Sharpie® for scale
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me.

Mark

2. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

I love the Husky Precision drivers. I have several of each version and consider them must-haves for any EDC bag. I recently stumbled onto a couple similar Kobalt drivers with completely identical bits at Lowe's. Here is the Torx Variant, however, I couldn't find the regular version at Lowe's online.

I have to say, I like the Husky versions much better. They are sleeker and will fit pen slots much better. They are also easy to distinguish due to their different cap color. One plus for the Kobalt version was that all four bits will store inside the handle preventing loss of a bit. I've never had a Husky bit fall out of mine but it always worries me that someday one of them will slip out of the driver...

Good review. O0

Heath

3. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

I have both the regular and torx too. Very handy to have around, seems the torx are the right size for working with the torx on knives.

4. Rocket Jones

Rocket Jones Empty Pockets

Seems to me like you could save some space and only carry one handle. You'd need a small bag or bit holder, but that's a fair trade off.

5. mrichelo

mrichelo Loaded Pockets

Thats actually not a bad idea. At the moment space isn't a problem. In the future if space and weight is a problem (for instance: backpacking) I will definitely keep that in mind.

I actually removed the insert to see if all the bits would fit in one handle... unfortunately they don't all fit.

Thanks,

Mark

6. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I have both Huskys and actually all 4 bits store inside when you take out the plactic spacer.

7. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

Same here. Been rockin' mine without the inserts for years now. :)

8. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

Great idea. I love these little drivers and use them all the time.

Does the divider just pull out or did it require surgery. Getting all the bits inside would be helpful. Makes them much easier to carry and stops the installed bit from poking through things.

Mark

9. pu1869

pu1869 Empty Pockets

This is one of those hidden treasure kind of tools.I think that most of them get sold as word of mouth by groups like EDC, or computer tech etc.

I was turned on to them by a friend who found them on an endcap when he was just walking around the store. I got a Torx version for work for taking apart car radios. Liked it so much that I got a set for home.

These should be on a list of Must have EDC kit.

10. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

Great pics and review. It's also good to know that all four bits fit without the spacer.

11. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

My dividers pulled right out using a small pair of needle-nose pliers. I'm sure they're still made that way :)

12. stormtracker

stormtracker Loaded Pockets

Just for comparison purposes. I thought I would show the Kobalt or Lowe's version of a similar item. The cap rotates. The small device that holds all the bits is attached to the inside of the cap as pictured.

I can appreciate the different colors of heads on the Husky version. I will say though it does indicate on the side of the Kobalt. Im not for sure I would remember a cap color anyways unless I used them daily.

[​IMG]

13. lbonanomi

lbonanomi Loaded Pockets

Too late to follow-up on this?

I carried Husky precision drivers for a few years as a field tech and still swear by them. I mated my Husky handle and a collection of bits (I bought all available variants) with a case from General Tools http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100373859

The GT driver that came as part of the above set didn't last more than a few days, but the case kept the bits in good order in my pocket for the longest.