1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Review: Fenix E12

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by PPCApache, Mar 7, 2014.

1. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

Since the demise of the E11 and the revamp of it via the E12 people are wanting to see what this new light will bring to the mix, now to start off I have not had the benefit of using the E11 and jumped straight onto the E12 band wagon and I can tell you now I won’t be jumping off any time soon.

Why won’t I you ask well here are some of MY personal reasons, and yes in know I just shouted out my, but that is what it is and there may be more suited torch experts or fan boys out there than me. But I am a simple user; a torch is there to light my way so I don’t stub my toe in the middle of night.

So what do I need the torch for well I work in the Mobile Phone area and sometimes I get asked by store to check devices as they are not charging so it is easier to use a torch to shine some light onto the Charger port, is it damaged? Can I see corrosion? I have also needed my torch to check under a stand into the storage area to check power cables.

So what made me choose the Fenix E12, well it was EDCF, you guys give some great feedback and the fact the E12 had the following benefits and features, and also the fact that it would fit in the side tube of my Skinth Magnum.

* Uses one AA (Ni-MH, Alkaline) battery
    * Output Modes:
    - High - 130 Lumens (1 hour 30 minutes)
    - Mid - 50 Lumens (6 hours 30 minutes)
    - Low - 8 Lumens (40 hours)
    * Able to tail stand
    * Tail tap switch for on/off and output selection
    * Waterproof to IPX-8 waterproof rating (underwater 2 meters for 30 minutes)
    * Length: 90mm

[​IMG]

I like the fact that the whole E12 is straight and inline and the lens is also flat compared to my LED Lenser P3 which has the lens that bulges out and also it is indented so dust gets in.
    [​IMG]

Here is the LED Lenser P3 just to show why the E12 is so much better also the fact that it is so much brighter
    [​IMG]

One thing I like is the Tail Cap is protected from accidental powering on...
    [​IMG]

With the Taping ability to change the Brightness is a great feature for me here are the some photo's of my room with the different levels of brightness... I love the fact I can place the E12 on the Tail end and it becomes a Candle.

E12 at Low - 8 Lumens (40 hours)...
    [​IMG]

E12 at Mid - 50 Lumens (6 hours 30 minutes)
    [​IMG]

And the E12 at the Mega High - 130 Lumens (1 hour 30 minutes)
    [​IMG]

My family thought when I tested it in the dinning with all the lights off, that I had one of the main lights on it was that bright. I heard some noise in my backyard the other night and used the E12 and it lit up the backyard and was able to see everything.
    The front unscrews to revel the Battery, great thing is that the E12 came with a battery reducing the setup cost.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here is a comparison next to my Wife's E05
    [​IMG]

Some more size comparisons my Leatherman Squirt PS4 and my TEC Centipede...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So would I recommend the E12, Yes I would and then some it is my go to EDC Torch and it meets my needs and that at the end of the day is what is important, it's not gimmicky, it's not plastic, it does what it's supposed and in my view pretty good. It now sits on my Beside Table every night next to my G-Shock watch, Boker Magnum and LM Sidekick.

I do I carry my new best mate the E12, in my Skinth Magnum sheath it fits perfectly and very solid in the side tube.
    [​IMG]

So in closing if you want a great EDC torch that is robust and that can even go into the water and still work well I think that the E12 ticks all the boxes for me, hope you all this small little insight into the E12.

Cheers Jace

Last edited by PPCApache, Mar 7, 2014
  2. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Great review; good job!

[​IMG]

3. Xiii
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

great review Jace, i think i might get one.
    Xiii

PPCApache likes this.
  4. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

Why stop at one get two... I am also thinking I might get another one at some stage as backup for the car or for Lisa as the brightness levels appeals to her...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

lethgar and Xiii like this.
  5. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

I just ordered one the other day (should have it in a day or two). This will be my 5th Fenix light. So far so good.

Thanks for the review!!!

PPCApache likes this.
  6. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

If this would be available here I’d probably buy one for my brother. But they aren’t even on Fenix’s site. There’s still the E11 listed, but no E12. :unsure:

7. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

I just got an E12 this week. It's plenty bright for a small AA size light - 3 modes are nice and quick/easy to tap the tailcap to switch between modes.
    My only complaint is - no pocket clip. I'll have to keep an eye out for one, or at least a cheapo light I can get and appropriate its clip.

I ordered from Amazon. I was going to get an E11.

eastwa, lethgar and PPCApache like this.
  8. Revival

Revival Loaded Pockets

Excellent review. Very helpful thank you!

PPCApache likes this.
  9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Home Depot sold a pack of "tactical" x2 AA flashlights for $4. (I know, right?) While the lights were basically garbage, the clips that came with them fit the E11 (and the E12) almost perfectly.

Jonb74 likes this.
  10. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

Great review! I really like Fenix lights and currently own three. I bought my 5-year-old daughter (gear junkie, just like dad) an E11 for Christmas as an upgrade from the $3 dollar store flashlight she was using. I fell in love with it as soon as she had it out of the box! I'm glad I held off getting myself one because now I can get the E12!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk!

tmedina and PPCApache like this.
  11. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

Nice - thanks for the heads up. I need to hit the depot at some point this weekend so I'll look for them.

tmedina likes this.
  12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I picked one of these up this Morning and am not sure how I feel about it yet?
    I wish it went a little lower on low and also that there was a clip in the box if not a holster.

I really wish they had kept the E11 Forward Clicky but added the third mode,then it would be about perfect for me.
    I also need to see how it looks Tonight and what the battery life really is before passing too much judgment.

It seems solid overall for the price and as usual has a Fenix higher than average fit and finish too.

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

So I did use mine as much as I could last night and I do really like it in general.
    The low setting seems a lot brighter to me than they claim but if it really does get the 40 hours with some batteries at that level it will be pretty impressive to me.

The beam is also really nice and throws a lot better or at least is well defined more than I thought it might be and inside the lowest setting is ideal for just getting around the house in the dark.

It just needs the forward clicky back to be ideal for me but overall it is a great light for the price.

Didn't try it outside yet either.

PPCApache likes this.
  14. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

@PPCApache: Thank you for taking the time to do a review!

I am a great fan of the E11, and rather curious about the E12. One thing I am curious and a bit skeptical about, is the user interface. How does the tapping to switch modes work? In which order does it cycle through the modes? Does it have any memory function, or does it always turn on in the same mode?

15. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

No memory mode - it always starts off in low and you have to cycle up.

Low - Medium - High, if memory serves.

sungame likes this.
  16. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

Correct @tmedina, just tested it goes to low mode, I find it ok and don't mind it starting on low as I don't want to be blinded turning it on as the Mid and High are very bright.

sungame likes this.
  17. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I enjoyed your review and beam shots!

I'm looking forward to purchasing an E12 soon, then a TK61!!!

Thanks!

PPCApache likes this.
  18. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Hmm. That's good. Low-Med-High is actually the only order that makes any sense to me. As @PPCApache mentions, if you want low light, you don't want yourself and others blinded by the high or medium first. On the other hand, at least for us non-tactical users, it is no problem to cycle through low and medium first when you need high.

I would still prefer the push on/off, twist to change modes UI of the E11, but this seems decent enough.

19. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The difference between a utility, and a pocket, light. :D

You can still find the E11 if you look - Shaologear of Oregon still had an older E11 in stock.

20. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pocket clip
    close up

The clip came off the: "Defiant x2 AA tactical light two pack" as seen in this thread. I distinctly remember the pack being $4, so it might have been on clearance - I don't see it listed on the Home Depot website.