1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Review - Dorcy Super 1 Watt Luxeon LED

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by RovingArcher, Sep 11, 2006.

1. RovingArcher

RovingArcher Empty Pockets

I'm using the AA Minimag light for comparison purposes.  Mostly because it and the AAA minimag were the only lights I've been using in my kits up to now.  I didn't compare the AAA light because there really is no comparison.  I'm including information from the Flashlight review.  I'll start off with spec lists of the two lights and finish up with my own personal opinion, based on a few comparison tests that I performed with the 2 lights.

[image]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/RovingArcher/Gear/P1010855.jpg[/image]

AA MINIMAG LIGHT:

Case Material ...........................        Anodized aluminum       
    Case Features ..........................        Focusable, "Candle Mode", Lanyard hole, textured for grip       
    Case Access Type ....................        Remove tailcap for batteries, remove bezel for bulb       
    Switch Type .............................        Twist bezel       
    Reflector Type .........................        Smooth silvered plastic

Lens Type ................................        Clear plastic
    Bulb Type .................................        Krypton Bi-Pin       
    Beam Type ...............................        Spot to Flood focus Beam Characteristics ...............        Ringy, blotchy, holes 

Battery / Power Type................        2 x AA alkaline       
    Battery Life (advertised) ...........        None (Estimated 2-4 hours) actual obtained: 5 hr 31 min to failure         
    Environmental Protection .........        O-ring       
    Special Items of Note ...............        Packaging includes belt sheath       
    Warranty ..................................        Limited Lifetime       
    Retail Cost ................................        $8.00 - $12.00 US

DORCY SUPER 1 WATT

Case Material ...........................        Anodized aluminum       
    Case Features ..........................        Ribbed for grip       
    Case Access Type ....................        Unscrew tailcap       
    Switch Type .............................        Tailcap Clickie - reverse type       
    Reflector Type .........................        Smooth, silvered       
    Lens Type ................................        Clear plastic       
    Bulb Type .................................        Luxeon I LED       
    Beam Type ...............................        Spot       
    Beam Characteristics ...............        Smooth, clean       
    Battery / Power Type................        1 x 123A cell       
    Battery Life (advertised) ...........        none       
    Battery Life (test results) ...........        ~2 hours 23 min to 50% starting output       
    Environmental Protection .........        O-rings, rubber seals     

Weight (oz.) with batteries .......        2.8       
    Special Items of Note ...............        none       
    Warranty ..................................        1 year       
    Retail Cost ................................        26.75 US$ Actual cost 19.99 US$

Looking at the specs of the two lights.  It was evident that the Maglite was the better buy of the two lights and in fact, I've found the Minimag to be an excellent light and will continue to use it in our gear and around the house.  I particulary liked and the wife really got a kick out of the two minimags in candle mode that I placed on the dinner table while we ate. ;)   

However, With the advent of the high output LEDs, the minimag seems weak by comparison and the Dorcy gives me a reason to buy a maxpedition belt pouch.:lol     The photo shows both lights at 3', side by side. 

Beamshot

As you can see from the photo, the LED casts more of a combination spotlight/splash effect than does the Minimag, which is shown in the spot mode only.  When I widened the beam of the Maglite to illuminate items on the wall like the LED was doing, it lost it's spot and holes became apparent in the beam of light.  Of course, shooting beams at a wall from 36" isn't much of a comparison, but the camera wouldn't catch the beams in the pitch black, long distance.  Outside in the ally, where outside lights were on in the distance, I found that the LEDs beam, although losing it's spot, was cast over a longer distance than the Minimags beam in spot mode.  When I opened up the beam of the minimag, it lost it's effective beam in a much shorter distance and barely illuminated a pair of puppy eyes at 30 paces, shooting towards the distant buildings outdoor lights.  But the Dorcy illuminated Belle the mutt, as well as her eyes at the same distance. 

I didn't drop them into water, but did drop both on the wooden deck outside and the Minimag blipped a bit, but the Dorcy didn't do anything but bounce.  The beam was steady and solid.

In conclusion I'd have to say that I'm sold on the high output LCD lights, as compared to the minimag, but I continue to like the minimags and don't plan of removing them from my gear just yet.

2. Goliath

Goliath Loaded Pockets

Your images don't work.
    Try using [​IMG] instead of [image] and [/image]

3. Malcontent

Malcontent Empty Pockets

Image link fixed.

:ys:

4. RovingArcher

RovingArcher Empty Pockets

Thanks for the fix! :)

5. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

I love my dorcy. Only con is longer than a SF E1. Otherwise the beam is great, light weight and personally I like the reverse clicky, can be sure it will not get clicked on in ym pocket, as opposed to the E1.