1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

[Review] American Apparel Coin Purse (Modified by me)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by dinoadventures, Oct 16, 2006.

1. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Empty Pockets

I was shopping with my girlfriend in the city the other day, and when we were at the register I impulse-bought one of their coin purses because it reminded me of one of Dave's custom wallet creations. I figure even if it sucks I'm only out eight dollars.
    Here is the item:
    http://store.americanapparel.net/rsax501.html

The color I purchased is Asphalt/Black.

My first impressions were that the construction was only so-so, but it was really lightweight and felt pretty nice in the hand. Overall, I felt build quality was serviceable. The zippers are a good size. It has a handy pocket on the back for storing things, and it looks like it has nice capacity. It comes with a split ring key holder inside the zipper pocket, which I promptly placed into the circular file. My adjustments to it didn't end there. I replaced the giant cheapo split ring with a much-smaller SPRO heavy split ring, a SPRO heavy swivel, and a CC Ti screw link.
    I'm not much a fan of metal zipper pulls, so I cut them off with serrated EMT shears and made my own zipper pulls out of a SPRO heavy split ring, Kelty TripTease Lightline, and 1.5mm climbing accessory cord.
    ...and now it is wonderful.

I previously had a Columbia wallet from which I eviscerated the stuffing so it was less crinkly and puffy. It was pretty slim with what I carry in it (DL, handicapped ID, few bills, Metrocard, old college ID for art stores and eateries, Costco and Sams Club cards and usually a few checks or money orders from my recent ebay dealings or freelancing). This one is at least 40% slimmer, and it feels much sleeker sliding into the pocket. I can also put in tons of little EDC bits like wet naps, a CC folding razor, small zip ties, eyeglass screwdrivers, LM Squirt & Micra, etc.
    Only thing I have problems with is whereas I previously had my Zebra mini pen and pencil clipped into an inside pocket on my Columbia wallet, I just have to toss it into one of the zipper pockets on this one. That sorta makes me feel a little weird, but I dunno. It's nit-picking at best.

I have not tried carrying coins in it because I don't do that.

Here is the item (you will notice I made a sort of visual pun on the color name of the wallet):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You will not believe how challenging it is to photograph inside a tire.

Bottom line: This product is worth your $8 and is a fun EDC item to have.

Update!
    I took it with me on a late-night run to the grocery store. It's monday night so they're stocking cereals and I need large boxes to ship car parts. Anyhow, my car's racing seats put definite pressure on any hint of wallet-:censored:, so I noticed a difference immediately between this and my fairly-slim older wallet. It was so comfortable! The whole time I was at the store, I didn't even notice it in my pocket even if I tried. Now that is a wonderful feeling!

2. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Nice work!

Great photos as always too.

Cool,
    Dan

3. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I have been looking for something I can keep my coins and grocery cards in, while they sit in my truck.
    As usual, great pics!

4. bbbshrimp

bbbshrimp Empty Pockets

Nice tire background!

5. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Empty Pockets

thanks! they're the brand new Bridgestone RE960's that were delivered today by a very irritated-looking UPS man.

Had to make two trips, the pansy.

6. onlyonespyderco

onlyonespyderco Loaded Pockets

Very cool and great pics. :)

7. lgflorin

lgflorin Loaded Pockets

Plus is Made in USA

8. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Hey dinoadventures!

I just bought two of these and would love to hear how yours has held up over the past two years? I really like your mods too...wish I was as handy/creative...

Thanks.

9. UNIT24UK

UNIT24UK Empty Pockets

i can see lots of good use for that great product