1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Review: 5.11 Tactical (RUSH) MOAB 6 and 10 Sling-bags (MOLLE/PALS compatible) and Tier System

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by subwoofer, Apr 21, 2013.

1. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately due to the sources of my review material, the new EDCF rules prevent me from posting similar reviews here on EDCF from now on:

"PLEASE NOTE: All items reviewed on EDCF shall be privately owned and purchased. As a reminder, the FTC requires you to state where your reviewed items came from; if this rule is violated, you commit a federal offense."

I completely understand where the forum owner/management are coming from (so mentioning this is no criticism), it just feels pity not to be able to share any more of my reviews here.

2. smoakie976

smoakie976 Loaded Pockets

That sucks, but I understand.

Sent from Sky net.

3. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 Loaded Pockets

greatest review on a product I've seen in a long time

4. neginfluence04

any other reviews you might be considering in the near future?

5. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately none that I will be able to post on EDCF. My folding rucksacks review has already fallen foul of the new rules and been removed when the rules were being finalised. It is posted elsewhere but I don't think I can post a link to another forum here either. If you are interested I don't see any reason why I can't PM you a linky though.

6. Martin Labak

Martin Labak Loaded Pockets

Excellent work sir! I have been contemplating getting a sling strap pack for a while now. I am a huge fan of 5.11, had used their products for 2 years (police dept.), now thanks to your review I just about made up my mind. Again thanks a bunch.

7. neginfluence04

sounds good to me I enjoy reading quality reviews such as yours.

8. gremlin078

gremlin078 Loaded Pockets

I have one too, been carrying it edc to work and home. Set up as a stuck overnight bag. Water , snacks basic survival items, tools and a pretty comprehensive hygiene kit. Change of socks, tshirt daily meds, etc. Weighs in at 15 lbs. Not condusive to that kind of weight for an extended period, but ok for the house to car to work and back. I did identify a problem no one else seems to have noticed. If you have a hydration bladder in it, you can't put anything in the eyeglasses soft pocket because the water tube runs across it from underneath to get to the port. I started using a external bottle carrier because I wanted the pocket use. I even wrote to 5.11 about it.

9. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

The bag is good no doubt and while my 511 family is growing; I'm more keen on that foliage green jacket?, any ideas what's the make of this and where it can be purchased.Thanks.

Hartigan likes this.
  10. staples57

staples57 Empty Pockets

This is the most helpful and complete review I've ever read... Many Thanks!

Asking the experts...
    I'm looking at buying the RUSH MOAB 10 as an EDC option for the back and forth travel to work.

I've been wondering how long the shoulder strap is, or rather, is it long enough?

I'm a big guy (6 ft 1in, 56 inch chest or XXXL jacket size).
    What's your opinion, will the shoulder strap be long enough (and comfortable enough)?

Aside: I have the RUSH 24 and find that the shoulder straps on it are great, comfortable, long enough and length to spare.

Cheers!

11. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

I'd like to help, but recently passed the MOAB 10 on to someone (too many bags, so something had to go). Maybe someone of similar build can chip in here.

12. Cthulhux

Cthulhux Loaded Pockets

The padded strap is about 17.5". I assume you mean the padded portion, but the other half (unpadded) is about 27" not counting the hip padded section.

I am 5' 8" and this bag works great for me. One thing that surprises me is how I see everyone else wearing it. Like in subwoofer's pics, he seems to leave a lot of length to the strap. I wear it much higher. The phone compartment is more on the shoulder or just at the top of the shoulder blade. I found leaving it longer seemed to put more stress on my shoulder/neck. Maybe it's just me or my height.

I got it because I needed a daypack that was easy to access on the move. The only thing that I don't like about regular daypacks is the need to take it off to access all the time. I have a 5.11 H2O carrier on it as well so it carries my water as well.

Disadvantages:
    • It can't take a lot of weight for a long time. I have filled it up but you'll feel it quicker.
    • Heavy - I'm not a bag expert but it definitely has it's own weight. Which doesn't help when you're trying to keep the overall weight down.
    • Took some getting use to. Not a lot but it took a couple trips before I felt relaxed with it and didn't fidget all the time adjusting. But I think everyone has to go thru that if they haven't worn a sling pack before.
    Advantages:
    • Access - isn't that the point?
    • Ambidextrous - At least if the weight wears on you, the shoulders can be reversed.
    • Easy removal - I find it easy to take off. Just grab the strap buckle, snap it open, and just swing it around to put down. No squirming out of 2 straps. Then putting it back on, just put the strap where you want it and clip it in place. No readjustment.
    Hope something here helped!

13. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

So I started out with a Moab 6 about 2 years ago. It got stolen out of my friends car and at that point i upgraded to the Moab 10. I've been wearing this almost daily for about a year. I can definitely agree with everything said in the review. I think the thing this pack is missing is a stabilizing strap. Having the ambidextrous carry option and the opposing side just sitting tucked in the bag seems like a big waste. I'm going to investigate making use of this strap to help cinch the bag down. But for the moment I've attached a Rothco Carabiner and nylon strap to the molle webbing down near the bottom of the bag and I clip it on to my belt loop and it holds it in place quite well. This does add an extra step when needing to swing the bag around or drop it quickly, but it will alleviate the moving problem of the bag. I'll post some pics up if people are interested.

14. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

15. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

Figured someone would have come up with something. I think 5.11 should make their own, I think they might be losing some people on this bag because of how much it moves around.

16. staples57

staples57 Empty Pockets

No worries... I'm sure that someone else can help out.

Many Thanks

17. Cthulhux

Cthulhux Loaded Pockets

Has anyone tried removing the plastic backing insert? Everywhere says it's removable but I haven't actually seen it done. I went to take mine out just to see how the bag is without it and couldn't get it out. While the top unzips, the lower portion widens underneath a sown section on each side. So it seems sown into the bag and the space is too tight to just bend the plastic out.

It could very well be operator error! Which is why I'm curious if anyone else has tried it.

18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Me too!
    I can't get mine out,not without cutting it?

19. Tenfooterpipi

Tenfooterpipi Loaded Pockets

This is has to be the one of the most well detailed and concise reviews I have ever come across. I been procrastinating on multiple reviews that I have intent to post within this forum, but I gotta say: well done. This should be an immediate guideline for posting and reviewing gear here on this thread.

Indeed - the bar is quite set high here.