1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Review: 5.11 Tactical (RUSH) MOAB 6 and 10 Sling-bags (MOLLE/PALS compatible) and Tier System

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by subwoofer, Apr 21, 2013.

1. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Excellent now that's how you do a pro review thank you OP,outstanding

2. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

oh man. i can feel your pain. buyin´the rush 72 gets closer day by day....

@subwoofer: excellent review! 5.11 should pay you for this....:cool:

Hartigan likes this.
  3. TinCan

TinCan Loaded Pockets

Nice review man!
    Just too much MOLLE for my edc bag.

4. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

Hey Jason, I've got a MOAB 10 that I started using for EDC a couple of weeks ago. I carry a 15" MacBook Pro in mine. It is a tight it in the drawstring pouch in the main compartment. The top corners have to be tucked under the top edge of the compartment. It's got a little more room outside the pouch but im not a an of it ring "unsecured" like that.

All in all, I've been happy with it as my EDC and laptop bag. YMMV.

5. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

Great review, subwoofer. Thanks for putting together such a comprehensive & thoughtful review of these bags.

What are you gonna review next? :)

6. luisdent

luisdent Loaded Pockets

This review is amazing. Excellent. I think I want a moab 10. haha

7. Jason Kasper

Jason Kasper Loaded Pockets

Well, I was unable to resist any longer. I ordered a black MOAB 10 today, thanks mostly to this excellent review. I'm coming from a Rothco Medium Transport Pack (http://www.rothco.com/general/index.cfm/fuseaction/itemdetail/item/5493/prodid/112/subcat/189/from/search/Rothco/) and it looks like the main compartment of the MOAB 10 is slightly bigger than the Rothco, while still offering a slimmer and more compact profile. Or at least it looks that way to me. I've been looking for a Sling pack for a while now and while the MOAB 10 doesn't look as sexy as the Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger to me, I'm hoping the MOAB is every bit as functional. It also seems to me that the MOAB 10 is more extensible and flexible than either the Rothco Medium Transport Pack or the Maxpedition Monsoon, but time will tell, I guess.

8. Jason Kasper

I do have one question though... It doesn't look like there's a built-in place to carry a water bottle, say, on the MOAB 10. Is the concealed compartment big enough to do this with? Or would I be better off buying another Mini Rollypoly?

9. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

You are right, there is no dedicated bottle carrier. If you used the concealed pouch, it would bulge as it is only really designed for relatively flat objects. I don't think this would work.

I would go with a pouch on the side PALS webbing, either the rollypoly or the medium or large 5.11 drop pouch.

10. Jason Kasper

Cool, thanks for confirming, subwoofer!

11. Jason Kasper

So, I've had my MOAB 10 for a couple of days now and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It feels awkward and heavy to me, but maybe I'm just not used to the Sling style. It feels heavier than the Maxpedition Medium Transport Bag, even empty. Maybe it's just really well-made? But it definitely feels MUCH harder to carry when I have my laptop in it. Is there a better sling pack that distributes weight better or something? It feels like all of the weight is being pushed into my neck.

12. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

I've found that it is vital to get the strap length right to get it comfortable. If you are used to backpacks, the single strap design can take some getting used to.

Personally I have the strap long enough that it is easy to get it to pass it over my head and get my right arm through in the same movement, but not any loner than required to do this. It then sits nicely on my shoulder and right of centre on my back.

If it is cutting into you neck, perhaps the strap is too tight? How does it look compared to the last photo in the review?

If I go by your avatar, it seems you may be vertically challenged, but I suspect you have a comically large mug for your tea/coffee. So how tall are you and how would you describe your build?

Can you weigh the MOAB10 with laptop etc in it so I can try it with the same loading?

jarheadgreasemonkey likes this.
  13. Jason Kasper

Hey subwoofer, thanks for answering again!

I will play with the strap length. I think I have it all the way as tight as it will go, so yeah, maybe that's part of the problem.

Ah, yeah, that was a comically large birthday present mug. =:) I'm 6'1", and ~ 220 pounds. I'm fairly muscular. So, not a small guy.

Yeah, excellent question.

If I have my loaded Maxped Fatty organizer, a 24 ounce Camelbak bottle, a Maxped Rollypoly Mini, a small Moleskine notebook, plus my iPad in its Smart Cover case, the MOAB10 weighs 9.8 pounds.

If I have the above, plus my 15" MacBook Pro, its charger, a light neoprene carrying case, and a pair of over-the-ear headphones, the MOAB10 weighs 16.6 pounds.

That doesn't _sound_ that heavy, does it? Maybe I'm just wearing the MOAB10 too high/tight/wrong?

14. JT2V

JT2V Loaded Pockets

16 pounds in a single sling is pretty heavy. Over ten pounds in the slings I have had made me switch shoulders a lot.

15. Jason Kasper

Okay, good, so it's not just me. =:/ Well, I'm not sure where that leaves me. Being that the MOAB10 weighs pretty close to 10 pounds with just my Maxpedition Fatty, water, and iPad....

16. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

At 16.6lb (7.5Kg) I would agree with JT2V. Though the MOAB 10 will cope with that no problem, your shoulder is another matter. I would try to keep it to a maximum of 6Kg (13lb) for a sling bag.

I'm 6'2" and 210lb so we are not that different in build, and I had to let the strap out quite a bit to get it comfortable.

For a mobile laptop (many people don't carry them every day) I would choose something lighter than a Macbook Pro. They might look nice, but are very heavy. Coming in at 6.8lb with charger, this is much like my previous 17" laptop that I carried in a backpack and felt it was way too heavy. I ditched it and changed to a model that came in at 4.5lb and although that doesn't sound a huge amount it has made a significant difference. I would never lug around anything heavier.

Out of interest how much does the Fatty weigh, and is everything in there essential? I carry two Condor pouches the MA54 and MA64 when using a backpack, but these are quite heavily loaded and for the MOABs I take only the absolute essentials as weight is a consideration.

17. Jason Kasper

Yeah, I think I'll try playing with the strap and see how that goes. I'm starting to think that maybe the sling bag form factor is just not a good choice for me if I want something that can accommodate both light and heavy loads. I only carry my laptop with me maybe 2 days a week, when I want to work from Starbucks or something. But those are also the days that I'll want to be carrying the MOAB 10 for extended distances, and if I can't stand to have a sling bag on my back/neck for more than 10 minutes without feeling like I have to switch sides, that's not going to work.

Yeah, I agree with ya. I'd rather be carrying a MacBook Air personally, but it's my work computer, and I'm up to what they're providing for me.

My Fatty only weighs 1.6 pounds, fully loaded, and here's what I have in it:

[​IMG]
    My loaded Maxpedition Fatty Organizer by vanRijn, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 Breach & Clear Morale Patch
    1 Sharpie Pen
    1 HAND Stylus
    1 Fingernail Cilpper
    1 Leatherman Style CS Knife
    1 Fenix LD01 Flashlight

1 clear Container Store container, with the following
    1 Micro-USB to Lightning Adapter
    1 30-pin Apple connector to Lightning Adapter
    1 micro-USB to 30-pin Apple connector Adapter
    1 16GB USB memory stick
    1 2GB micro-SD memory stick
    1 micro-SD to SD card adapter
    1 SD to Apple 30-pin connector adapter
    1 retractable USB to micro-USB cable

1 small pack of Kleenex
    1 small pack of Wet Wipes
    1 small bottle of hand sanitizer

1 clear Container Store container, serving as my wallet

1 clear Container Store container, with the following:
    5 throat lozenges
    5 hard candies
    2 ear plugs

1 ear bud style backup headphones
    1 Clif Bar

1 divided Container Store container with the following:
    8 TUMs
    10 Acetaminophen, Extra Strength
    10 Ibuprofen

1 small snack-size ziploc baggie, containing:
    1 Small section of black duct tape
    1 hook-side industrial strength Velcro
    5 Bandaids
    5 Business/MOO cards

Anyway, I have been meaning to try to optimize the contents of my Fatty, but since it only weighs 1.6 pounds, I'm thinking maybe that's not all that bad?

Last edited by Jason Kasper, Apr 29, 2013
  18. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

5.11 just featured your review on their facebook page =)

19. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

Fame and Fortune here I come.......oh well, maybe not. Still, it is nice to see it featured :)

20. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Subwoofer, nice review (but you don't need me to tell you that). For your next review, you might want to pick something from another manufacturer. I like 5.11's line also and a number of my early reviews were on their stuff. But, you don't want anyone thinking that you're a shill. We've had a fair amount of that here. ;)