1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

ResQMe

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by TomWelch, Aug 2, 2011.

1. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I have the orange hammer kind, but have looked at those and wondered how they would work.

3. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Loaded Pockets

Your better off taking an antenna off a car, holding the screw end, lifting the end with the ball, and releasing.. works just as good and there should almost always be one available.. but if your in a pinch i guess this would work.. i carry a benchmade Houdini pro when im on duty at the FD.

4. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I had one, the operative word was had, actually I have had 2 of them. The attachment point to the keyring is the weak link. I tried to carry it on my keyring, but I lost it. Having learned from that experience, I tried to pocket carry the second one. It self destructed in my pocket.

I am currently carrying a automatic centerpunch to fulfil that role. I had a friend that might still be alive if someone in the vehicle had either a ResQme or a automatic center punch when their vehicle went through the ice. They recovered the vehicle with all four bodies inside it. Since then I have always carried either of the options mentioned it my post.

5. Technicolor

Technicolor Loaded Pockets

Hm, I was thinking of getting one of these too, but if they're that fragile, I think I'll reconsider :/

6. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Automatic center punch is possibly the best option!

7. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

I carry one all the time and have had no issues with it breaking or coming off the clip. I also keep one clipped to my spot light. As far as use I've never used it but my father recently used it and it work as avertized.

8. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

Your best bet is to zip tie the resqme to your gear shift or place in the car where both the driver and/or passenger can access immediately after an accident.

9. TooMuchStuff

TooMuchStuff Loaded Pockets

Zip tie to the gear shift. That's a good idea! I've had one for a few months and didn't like the bulk on my key chain. I'd only need it in the car so I've been trying to figure where and how to attach it somewhere accessible to the driver's seat that would be sturdy enough without going crazy and drilling holes into the dash or anything.

10. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

I saw one that attached to the seatbelt. Had a glassbreaker and a belt cutter on it. Thought it was kinda silly place to keep it as if you do have a bump it's just adding to potential to cause more harm than good.

Could use a Maxped micro organiser (other micro organisers are available...) to keep one in, and attach with a piece of velcro under the steering column somewhere. That way it's always handy but not overtly like on the gear stick.

11. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

Wow, just wow. You are serious aren't you? So there is an overturned car with smoke coming from it somewhere- the victim is inside but their door is blocked. "Don't panic! I'll be right back!" (runs off looking for cars with metal antennas.... "Oh there's one!" (Grunts and pulls at random vehicle's antenna- gets punched in face by vehicle's driver) "Wait, NO, OUCH! Hold on, maa'm this is an emerg...OUCH STOP THAT!" (pushes old lady down) "Ah-ha! NOW I've got a broken off antenna!" (runs back to smoking overturned vehicle) "Step aside folks, watch your eyes there!" (breaks glass, leans into vehicle to retrieve injured occupant who is securely buckled in) "Sir, can you reach your seatbelt buckle?" (occupant mutters incoherently) "OK, hang tight! I'll be right back!" (runs off trying to find a peice of a vehicle with which to cut seatbelt).
    So, while this is happening, and you are running around tearing peices off of vehicles, the overturned vehicle starts smoking more and now there is an ominous sizzling sound, and the other 10 or so other motorists who stopped at the scene just stand around with their hands in their pockets, waiting patiently, because obviously that crazy guy with the broken antenna seems to have the situation thoroughly under control.
    Man the advice people throw out on the internet these days...

12. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I have kept one on my keychain for a long time without issues. When I was a volunteer EMT I kept one with me and it worked very well for breaking glass. I used it to cut seat belts occasionally, but most often I used trauma shears. There is nothing wrong with the ResQMe blade, it was just habit to grab shears.

13. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

Great advice, I did that in both my cars, I just used those mechanics rings instead of zip ties to tie it to the gear shift.

14. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

my kids and my wife have res q me's on there keychains,, with no issues thus far,, they have not been put to use,,

i have a ZT shroud cutter and glass breaker

15. Rescue_Ops

Rescue_Ops Loaded Pockets

I have carried one of these for 7 years now with no problems. I volunteer every week with the rescue squad and have used it numerous times to break windows. It has held up well, except that the plastic on the spring end is starting to crack- probably from being old and being used so much. It's been 7 years, so I can't complain. As a rescue professional, I would definitely give it my seal of approval.

16. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Me too. Mine's on my Fatboy. Our car has a Houdini Pro tool in it, which mostly serves the same functions with some better ergonomics.

17. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

I keep a small trauma kit to hand in the passenger compartment with one of these on the zip.

18. fenrisulfur

fenrisulfur Empty Pockets

I have mine zip tied to the rear view mirror. I got it when I figured out that the belts on the seats for my two kids are a hassle to undo in the best of times;
    but in an emergency it would be nigh on impossible to get them out quick. So I figured this would be the best place for it so that me or my wife can easily grab it off the mirror

19. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

I usually hate zip ties (preferring hook and loop wraps instead), but this is a PERFECT use! I'm still trying to find a way to secure my Houdini Pro tool to the car in a easy to reach location.

20. stargazin

stargazin Loaded Pockets

I too have had one for 7 years, until a month ago when it came up missing off my key chain. In all fairness I climb poles in telecommunications and my body belt I believe stripped it from the keeper. I worked volunteer fire for several years and several of us carried these. If not one of these, another recommendation was mentioned earlier, an automatic center punch. Several guys on the department went with this option, and they used industrial strength adhesive backed Velcro at Walmart or similar store, to wrap punch with one side and attach to dash with other. The industrial strength has some very impressive adhesive backing and hook & loop, and should not fly off in an impact.