1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Rescue knives

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by toemke, May 25, 2012.

1. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

Check the Spyderco Assist it is a little more functional and works well.
    Only complaint I have is it is tip up.

Ibrahim Sarp Dogan likes this.
  2. Saffa2

Saffa2 Loaded Pockets

I also have a 915 triage, albeit the black handle/stainless blade finnish. I have used the hook before to cut open my own shirt so medics couldsee what was going on with my mangled shoulder. It worked great because i only had to open it, hook it on the t-shirt collar and pull down. No fidling needed and having only one workong hand would have made any other blade very difficult to use. I carry it most of the time as an edc blade and i enjoy the good steel and thickness of the sheepsfoot blade. I agree that it could be "pointier" but that would sort of defeat the purpose of being a rescue blade. I also find it convenient in convincing non-"knife people" that i dont carry such alarge blade to commit mass murder with but in fact as a utility tool for mundane cutting tasks like aeting my lunch or bailing someone out of an emergency.

Water-Rat likes this.
  3. Saffa2

Saffa2 Loaded Pockets

I also have a 915 triage, albeit the black handle/stainless blade finnish. I have used the hook before to cut open my own shirt so medics couldsee what was going on with my mangled shoulder. It worked great because i only had to open it, hook it on the t-shirt collar and pull down. No fidling needed and having only one workong hand would have made any other blade very difficult to use. I carry it most of the time as an edc blade and i enjoy the good steel and thickness of the sheepsfoot blade. I agree that it could be "pointier" but that would sort of defeat the purpose of being a rescue blade. I also find it convenient in convincing non-"knife people" that i dont carry such alarge blade to commit mass murder with but in fact as a utility tool for mundane cutting tasks like aeting my lunch or bailing someone out of an emergency.

4. Cerberus.

Cerberus. Loaded Pockets

I have a vic Rescue tool, pretty well used. It was my go to rescue knife until I got my Leatherman Raptor, now the vic stays in a leather pouch most shifts. Good blade, strong build it does it's job well in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

5. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Out of interest, what percentage of vehicle seatbelts require cutting post crash, rather than just releasing the buckle? Part of my job is testing seatbelt buckle release in the annual roadworthiness test. The belt always has to be put pulled hard to put the belt under tension before actuating the release. Very few won't release.

6. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Three times at work (I drive city bus) I have had wheelchair tiedowns get jammed. These are just seatbelts slightly rerouted for the task, with the same sorts of buckles. The first time I cut the person out. The second time I used a small prybar to avoid destroying the belt. I got the guy out, but I ended up destroying the buckle in the process, so that was a wash. Last time, I just pulled out a knife and cut the guy out.

I admit that these buckles are abused like will likely never happen in a car. The buckles are constantly dropped on the floor, walked on, rolled over by 600 pounds of wheelchair+passenger, tugged on, stomped on, etc, etc. But they do fail on me at the rate of 0.25 buckles per year. So, statistically, systemwide, this might be an issue.

I agree it's incredibly unlikely that the buckles in the family ride will suffer this sort of trauma. But, hey, you might have to cut someone out of a bus while the driver is unconscious...

Lou_G likes this.
  7. Cerberus.

Cerberus. Loaded Pockets

I deal with around 3-10 car accidents a day whilst on shift, weekends its more. I have used the glass breaker more than the seat belt cutter.
    But
    I have used the seat belt cutter a good few times. The reason I like the vic rescue tool is that curved blade is great for cutting boots, shoes etc that may be catching onto things preventing us from extricating the patient.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

kd7dvd likes this.
  8. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

If you are going to hospital to be checked over, the seatbelt should be cut even if it opens ok - for one reason and one reason only

So the panelbeater who fixes your car has to replace it !

If you crashed hard enough to need a trip to hospital, even just for a checkup, you should probably have the seatbelt replaced, they are designed to safely stop you from flying through the windscreen once, not over and over again

9. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

I don't know what the system is outside of Europe, but if a car crashes hard enough to require assisted occupant extraction, it is virtually always going to be beyond economical repair.
    I believe the U.S. expression is 'totalled', we call it a 'write-off'.

kd7dvd likes this.
  10. rhuarc3

rhuarc3 Loaded Pockets

The other reason to cut a belt is that the buckle may not be easily accessible.

I threw a CRKT M.A.K. 1 in my bunker pants pocket. It came with a seat belt cutter also. Haven't had a chance to test out the cutter, but the knife is very thick and worked great performing some minor B&E.

- Todd

11. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I meant in an accident you walk away from (but still go to hospital to get checked)
    If you need helpt getting out, then you are right, theres a good chance its a write off

12. ZangLussuria

ZangLussuria Loaded Pockets

I was wondering how well the SOG Trident's seatbelt cutter slot/slit works.
    It uses the actual knife blade and a slit on the frame to be used as a seatbelt cutter.
    It's easy to keep a knife blade sharp rather than a separate blade that's in an inaccessible slit.
    Keep the main blade of the SOG sharp and the seatbelt cutter feature will remain sharp.

13. Quikclot

Quikclot Loaded Pockets

This ^ !

I ran an MVA on a Dodge minivan where the driver was ejected 40 yards after her belt snapped as the van was rolling. That model used spikes to stop the belt the first time around and it was compromised when she put it on. She probably died because of it.

Cut away, peoples!!!

powerring likes this.
  14. Survival Artisan

Survival Artisan Loaded Pockets

- Manta Ray -

My sheath vision for "Eezycut" Emergency Cutting Tool, original was 1990-style Nylon sheath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Underwater @ Tero Boström

[​IMG]

-Must add Paracord lanyard for knife handle...

403Jeeping likes this.
  15. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Pretty sure i have showed this before

Heres my car mounted cutter - its made by "Gill" a yachting company
    I have tested it on 50mm webbing similar to seatbelt, then sharpened it and tested again - its like a hot knife through butter
    [​IMG]

And mounted to the visor above the drivers seat (i built the sheath, stock one was junk)
    [​IMG]

Doraemon likes this.
  16. rhuarc3

rhuarc3 Loaded Pockets

I tried it and it didn't work too great. You're better off just flipping the blade open.

- Todd

17. ZangLussuria

How bad was it?
    Even if the blade would be kept sharp?

18. CanadianFireFighter

CanadianFireFighter Loaded Pockets

Great Review Toemke. I personally EDC the Triage as well, and love the knife and its features. The only downside is for cutting through medical gauze, etc nothing compares to good old shears. I also have the Leatherman Raptor for that reason and it fills any other needs.

19. rhuarc3

rhuarc3 Loaded Pockets

It was pretty pathetic. It took a while and I had to have a friend hold the seatbelt tight. My blade was freshly sharpened. I think when it's closed the angle of the blade in the cutout is wrong to allow for easy cutting.

- Todd

20. ZangLussuria

Hmm.. Was initially thinking of getting a SOG Trident Tanto folder. Now to look at more options.
    Is that Nite-Ize on the Victorinox a pocket clip and how is it put on there?

Thanks again.