1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Request for a suitable SAR watch :)

Discussion in 'Watches' started by mooshi, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I have one, it has a neck lanyard and a sturdy stainless clip on the back, I loop the lanyard through the webbing on my pack strap, and clip it to the webbing.

It doesn't seem to be sold here in the US anymore, Google found it at an Aussie watch site: http://www.finetime.com.au/prod188.htm

2. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ Hmm... that's pretty neat. :) Thanks for the link! I think I'd rather go with a watch though; only because it can both be strapped onto my backpack or serve its purpose on my wrist. :p

3. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I meant on your team :)

4. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

OH. haha :p One of the boys got a Casio of some sort last Christmas. The rest of them don't wear watches... I think only myself and occasionally the one with the Casio does. :p

5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

How do you coordinate and such? When we hunt, everything is by time. Sure, we have radios but they fail and silence is important. I used to have a Casio with a vibrating alarm. I broke it. I don't know if they still make those.

6. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Maybe the other boys have watches and I'd never noticed. I think a lot of them use their cell phones for time. I prefer not to because my hands could be full and I'd rather glance at my watch than dig out my phone. We always go out in a minimum of two man teams and remain within visible if not audible range of one another.

I remember while I was searching for watches that some of the Casios did have vibrating alarms. I think that'd be awesome in situations when I had to be quiet. :)

7. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Good, because even my Google-Fu came up short finding you one for sale. Seems to have been a short-lived model. Too bad, I love mine!

8. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ No doubt it's a great piece of gear. :p I just didn't want to be restricted to only having something that couldn't also be as easily accessed as a watch.

9. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

Not tried it troughly, but recently got a Suunto Vector and it's got the features you're searching.
    Plus it's got pretty good name amongst treking and general outdoors people...

10. Kris

Kris Loaded Pockets

KISS .... Seiko Divers watch .. reliable, simple, keeps good time, Can be used as an emergency compass, measures elapsed time for searches, tough and waterproof .... Job done

11. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Maybe too large for dainty wrists, but this Timex is in your budget and has time, tide, compass and I think it tells time too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mooshisho likes this.
  12. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

I have a vector also. I haven't figured out all the functions yet. It comes with a prety big book!!!

mooshisho likes this.
  13. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

Been playing with it for a couple days and I've got it figured out... Mode for modes (duh...) Select for submodes, small paper booklet in pocket to know where is the freaking submode you're searching for...
    But I'm an empirical kind of guy, always learned better just playing with things...

Other side: If you have it all the time in main watch mode, you've got a shortcut to the compass (rough navigation) and get to stopwatch/countdown with Sel. button... Straight enough for me. ;)

14. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

For an analog watch the T-SAR would be the obvious choice, but the only functions on that are a dive bezel, date, and the time.
    I have a G-Shock GW500A that sounds like it would meet your needs, it's solar/atomic, with a second time zone, a time recorder, 4 alarms and a snooze, a stopwatch and of course the time. All for around $70 last time I checked.

mooshisho likes this.
  15. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:) Just wanted to update y'all. I'm still in limbo as to which watch to get. It'll be put in the back of my mind for a little while while I get things for school sorted out first. Then the fun will come when I'm able to purchase a new watch. :p Until then, I'll still be doing my research.

16. smashie

smashie Loaded Pockets

17. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

You can, but it's a bit of a faff when you can just take a bearing off the screen :)

kd7dvd likes this.
  18. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Wow! That's pretty cool. :)

19. smashie

smashie Loaded Pockets

True :) Ive got a Casio PRG-40 and although generally good in certain situations it can be as much as 5-10 degrees out.

Plus I like my bling (sorry classic watches) and they don't have compasses.

Reliance on battery operated shiny kit will drop you in the doo doo eventually.

Cheers,

Mark